how close to beta are you guys?

Forum dedicated to the Scourge of War Game set during the Napoleonic Wars. Scourge of War: Waterloo follows in the footsteps of its American Civil War predecessors and takes the action to one of the most famous battles in history. It is by far the most detailed game about the final battle of the War of the Seventh Coalition.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

freeboy

how close to beta are you guys?

Post by freeboy »

this looks like a fun project
"Tanks forward"
histgamer

RE: how close to beta are you guys?

Post by histgamer »

ORIGINAL: freeboy

this looks like a fun project

We'll surely let you know once the project hits beta. We can't give you a time-frame yet though. [8D]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

well seems to have been done by internal testers, as none was ever announced,

few comments from twitch feed live show, as WIP reported,

time to live now isn't long, and clipping with horses getting stuck in walls was shown and seen, but not commented on.

zoom levels looked very good, same as details and UI.

maps and amount of settings also looked very good, with editor mentioned in first patch, so good again and very welcomed.

asked question about why rts and not turn based, but as a lot was going off didn't get answer, so will ask it here if i may, ty.

will any demo's be forth coming?
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
con20or

Post by con20or »

Sorry - i did not get to answer that question but I did see it.

The campaign did not get much viewing due to the limited time. The real-time campaign allows you to maneuver multiple armies around the map and try to outwit your enemy. Each battle is a seperate entity which you can pause and save, switch to a different battle, build up campaign time, move time forwards again to get another unengaged army into a more favourable position to catch the enemy. Real time is preferable to turn based - it is just hard to implement and I think we have done a good job of that.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

yes looked very well done, only thing i spotted was the 2 horses that seemed to be stuck in the church wall, wasn't sure if they were couriers or just run a way horses, and as it's WIP anyway will be seen and fixed before release, so yes looked very polished,
Real time is preferable to turn based

is a matter of opinion tbh, with some like one or the other, as it can be slowed down it looks and played fine in the twitch feed, but real time doesn't always give you the time to plan and think like turn based does is all i was saying and why i was asking and in larger battles etc could become overwhelming for some, that's why i asked if there was going to be a demo also? like a try before buy option...

great work guys anyway, don't own or know much of any of your previous games so was a first for me, so that's why so many questions.

thanks again.
con20or

Post by con20or »

No problem at all - glad you liked it and happy to answer any questions you have. I'll need to watch the video again to see where the two stuck horses were (was this in the first battle?). Its possible they were couriers trying to get through an area with a high movement penalty (the wall and graveyard at the church has that). Or else they were the horse sprite left after a general dies, or else they were part of a routed cavalry units that had surrendered and were standing around.

The campaign can be paused - so can battles. You will need to run the game again to give orders. there are lots of different levels of battle for people who are new to the game - brigade level, divisional level, corps - you dont need to jump straight into the army level. One of my favourite ways to play single player sandbox is as a divisional general with four brigades or so taking orders from a corp or army Ai commander.

In relation to the demo I cannot say.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ok ty, and yes it was the first battle with the church in it, and also have no idea on the horses, if they are left overs etc, either way matters little as they aren't no big deal, just a comment and feedback as i see all, and know nothing[:D][;)] but test a lot
con20or

Post by con20or »

I will check it out just in case. Thanks for the feedback.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

your welcome, maybe nothing tbh so wouldn't worry about it, as WIP is just that[;)]

date / time stamp and also first horse from the 2 in the wall for notes / time frame to check or play back...
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (196.9 KiB) Viewed 230 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

to me it's looks like a clipping or routing issue as the horses from now don't no longer move, just keep looking like there moving but stay in place

for the next couple of minutes they are either stuck on the wall, or through it, while all around moves, maybe it's the sprite / animation etc, as is there one for none movement for standing still used for horses?
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (79.08 KiB) Viewed 230 times
con20or

Post by con20or »

Those are couriers and seem to be moving directly along the line of the wall - which has a big movement penalty - so the will look almost frozen. You will see the same if you try and cross that wall with troops, they will slow down significantly crossing it. The angle of the courier route is the problem here.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

yes as at one point they seem to blend into and then out of the wall, but later carry on, like i said it's no biggy and looks just as good on second view so even more well done and congratulations to the team
con20or

Post by con20or »

Thank you very much[:)]

We have worked on courier pathing over the last 5 releases - we know they die, so if you are a general you better know that too [:)] - we have a good balance for human origin and Ai origin couriers. Getting the right balance for movement direct/by road, and courier respawn with enemy units nearby to kill your couriers is tough but we have a good one:) That is probably the only scenario that your general would be in a position that the route for all his couriers would lead along a wall so I would not worry about it.

Return to “Scourge of War: Waterloo”