Boom!

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Tomcat84

Boom!

Post by Tomcat84 »

Some ISIL/ISIS/IS folks having a bad day

http://blogs.afp.com/correspondent/?pos ... ver-kobane

p.s. when are we getting 3D explosions like this? [;)]
My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )
Dutchie999

RE: Boom!

Post by Dutchie999 »

Waiting for the experts to identify which munitions where used and from which kind of plane it was launched.... (and the name of the pilot) [:D]
Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

Care to venture a guess?

My guess would be a B-1 with intially 2 GBU-31s and then anywhere between 4 to 8 GBU-38s or GBU-54s.

Dutchie999

Post by Dutchie999 »

ORIGINAL: Tomcat84

Care to venture a guess?

My guess would be a B-1 with intially 2 GBU-31s and then anywhere between 4 to 8 GBU-38s or GBU-54s.

Interesting. Why do you think that? And where would the B-1 come from? Sigonella? Maybe with tanker support provided by Turkey? I was thinking more along the lines of a F/A-18 loaded out with paveway's (to also hit mobile targets) coming from a carrier off the coast of Lebanon or Syria. Although that might be a bit dangerous since Syria acquired 2 Bastion missiles systems in 2012/2013. Maybe a carrier in the persian gulf with tanker support above Iraq?
Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

It's confirmed that B-1s have been operating over there. See here

And just the large amount of bombs, yeah it could also be done by coordinated fighters but a B-1 could easily carry that.

Feltan

Post by Feltan »

So some specious, and not so specious, arguments:
- ISIS terrorists are just tooling around as the video opens. If a jet was buzzing around you'd think they would have a different posture, but there appears to be two walking around and (maybe) a few sitting on the side of the hill. So, I conclude they have no idea what is inbound. This argues for some sort of standoff weapon.
- I count between five and six impacts. Five for sure - count the flashes, but cloud formations suggest six. The camera might have missed one explosion.
- The target is a flag on a hill, with some dismounted troops. I wouldn't think that is a B-1-like target. Rather a target-of-opportunity called in by ??? (SOF ground controller/target designator).
- Nice tight shot group. Doesn't look like simple gravity bombs especially given the time lag of impacts.
- Looks to me like Mk 82 size explosions.
- Don't know if we'll ever know for sure, but I'd speculate you're looking at a single F/A-18 (or equivalent) dropping JDAMs.
- The pilot's name is Bob.

Regards,
Feltan
Dutchie999

Post by Dutchie999 »

6 x $30.000 JDAMs x fuel, tanker support, pilot, write off's on the plane for extra flying hours, extra maintenance etc etc. Your talking 300k + for, lets say 10 IS fighters. Maybe it would have been cheaper to just bribe them like they did with some more 'liberal' groups in Iraq.
Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

Wouldnt get a video out of that though

jtoatoktoe

Post by jtoatoktoe »

B1-B's have been flying over Syria non stop unopposed even in the middle of the day and with beacon lights flashing away for ID by civillian aircraft. Its a bus full of bombs that can loiter and get somewhere fast.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”