Event Sequence Check

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

USXpat

Event Sequence Check

Post by USXpat »

Maybe someone will know off the top of their head whether the following event sequence will work as intended?

The formation/s in question become available on T45, but thereafter should check each turn for a 15% chance of going into a temporary (1 turn) garrison mode (unless it fails sequential checks).

Event #1, Turn 46, Formation Order - Garrison, Probability = 15%
Event #2, Event Can #1, Formation Order - Defend, Probability = 100%
Event #3, Turn 46, Enable Event #1
Event #4, Turn 46, Enable Event #2

Being a little lazy as I could test this... but, well... if I'm wrong, I'd be back to where I started; so any corrections are most welcome!
USXpat

RE: Event Sequence Check

Post by USXpat »

Just a quick follow-up that the above is confirmed to work as intended if set from Turn 1. That does not guarantee that it will work if set to a later turn, however. I tried doing this before with negative results (and many hours of testing), but it could've been that I was using wrong event sequencing.

Potential uses of this kind of sequence include making specific formations "unreliable" and/or increasing the severity of "shock-like effects" without necessarily increasing combat shock value. It tends to generate an extra level of unpredictability.

ogar

Post by ogar »

An untested response...
I think the sequence (or block) is tied to turn 46, and so will not repeat. In that case, why not make the events' trigger by Event Activated(or Enabled) instead of Turn, and have a new event (News Only) set for Turn 45 to set the whole thing off. I'd try setting the triggers for Evt 3 and 4 to be Evt 1, so they are ready for the next turn.

If you have a new event set for turn 45, then you test this by setting the turn to 2, and watching those effects as opposed to waiting,,,waiting...

If I werent so lazy, I'd go to Telu's site and re-re-review the posts about the loops for weather in Anzio (as well as look at those events). If I were not so disorganized, I'd've archived those posts on this machine a while ago when they first appeared.

HTH
USXpat

Post by USXpat »

Thanks Ogar, I'll be taking another look at it tonight; first to set the test for T3 for multiple formations so that at least one is likely to trigger over a few turns. Then will proceed to review Telumar's site and follow your recommendations.

I did get it to work with a T1 - was very late and very tired, so wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

And to add a little more, from the EvilEd doc :

an event cancelled but later enabled will immediately activate if its turn trigger has already passed.

once the event is re-enabled, it automatically executes as long as the current game turn is past the turn indicated in the event.

Again, that is for Turn Based Events only. So I've had great success with getting things to repeat every turn by first canceling the event, then enabling it, say on turn 46. If you need it to stop at some point, you simply cancel the enable event. Hope this doesn't confuse matters.
USXpat

Post by USXpat »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

And to add a little more, from the EvilEd doc :

an event cancelled but later enabled will immediately activate if its turn trigger has already passed.

once the event is re-enabled, it automatically executes as long as the current game turn is past the turn indicated in the event.

Again, that is for Turn Based Events only. So I've had great success with getting things to repeat every turn by first canceling the event, then enabling it, say on turn 46. If you need it to stop at some point, you simply cancel the enable event. Hope this doesn't confuse matters.

Thanks, yes - that's what I was missing - using T45 instead of T46.

Canceling the enable makes sense. Thankfully there are PLENTY of events to work with.

Return to “Scenario Design”