USSR-Japan compulsory peace

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Courtenay

USSR-Japan compulsory peace

Post by Courtenay »

USSR-Japan compulsory peace is a not-yet-coded optional rule (13.7.3, option 50).

RAC has a somewhat mysterious "Clarification to the Addition" of the rule, but no "Addition" to clarify. Does this just mean addition?

If so, my understanding of this addition is that it is, indeed, an addition. If Vladivostok has fallen, the Russians may impose a peace, losing only what the Japanese have captured or surrounded, but holding any hexes that the Russians have captured or surrounded. Similarly, the Japanese may do the same if the Russians have captured three Japanese resources. If Vladivostok has not fallen, the Russians may surrender the whole Pacific map to the Japanese, ending the war, while if the Japanese may surrender all of Manchuria to the Russians, even if the Russians have not captured Manchuria. The point of this addition is to allow a surrender if the other side is playing games by not taking Vladivostok (for the Japanese) or three resource (for the Russians).

Is this correct?

P.S. We do not have to wait for Steve to implement most of the basic part of this rule. If, say, Vladivostok has fallen, the Russians can say they are imposing peace. Any units in surrounded territory should just leave. If one (or both) sides should now be inactive, restrict that side to combined action limits until it is at war. (Although I would allow that side to use other actions to withdraw any surrounded units.) The only rule that would not be implemented correctly is that on map MIL would not be placed in the reserve pool. Move all MIL to their home cities, and do not allow them to move the turn their country goes active. We can also partially implement the surrender part of the rule, although it requires more work both on the part of the vanquished, who will have to move units out of the surrounded territory, and on the part of the victor, who would have to send units to occupy the surrendered territory. According to MWiF, Japan and the USSR would remain at war, but they would simply refrain from attacking each other or violating the other's territory.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
paulderynck

RE: USSR-Japan compulsory peace

Post by paulderynck »

It is correct, that addition is from the 2008 Errata as published in the 2008 Annual.

On the workaround, you'll also likely have to fiddle with hex control - allowing units to move over the hexes that would be ceded, but do-able.

In a way I like the workaround as opposed to having units magically teleport. [:)]
Paul

Return to “World in Flames”