Greyjoy(J) vs. Obvert(A) - The air war in China- DBB, SLs, PDU OFF

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Yaab

RE: Indian fightings

Post by Yaab »

This is interesting.

There is a cut-off point somewhere in repair time for aircraft. Basically, any aircraft with durability of 0-29 and service rating 1 will be repaired in one day! There is no durability 30/service rating 1 aircraft to check if the repair time jumps to two days, but durability >30 and service rating 1 gives you a 2 day repair time. I guess at this point your best fighter for continuous operations will be Tojo, followed by Oscar and Zeros.

The perfect fighter should have durability 29, service rating 1, armor 1 and as many CL weapons as possible.

Given the above, it is funny, how good Oscar IIb actually is - its only drawbacks is its low durability. I tested them in the Andaman scenario and I could keep continuous CAP with them for many days against waves of 4Es and I barely had the required aviation support at the base. I guess if you could double the aviation support for them, the turnover would be even faster.

Durability >30 and service rating 2 or 3 is a nightmare. This is why the Nicks, which look good on paper with their high durability and CL weapons, are such maintenance hogs.
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

This is interesting.

There is a cut-off point somewhere in repair time for aircraft. Basically, any aircraft with durability of 0-29 and service rating 1 will be repaired in one day! There is no durability 30/service rating 1 aircraft to check if the repair time jumps to two days, but durability >30 and service rating 1 gives you a 2 day repair time. I guess at this point your best fighter for continuous operations will be Tojo, followed by Oscar and Zeros.

The perfect fighter should have durability 29, service rating 1, armor 1 and as many CL weapons as possible.

Given the above, it is funny, how good Oscar IIb actually is - its only drawbacks is its low durability. I tested them in the Andaman scenario and I could keep continuous CAP with them for many days against waves of 4Es and I barely had the required aviation support at the base. I guess if you could double the aviation support for them, the turnover would be even faster.

Durability >30 and service rating 2 or 3 is a nightmare. This is why the Nicks, which look good on paper with their high durability and CL weapons, are such maintenance hogs.

The armoured Oscar IIb is performing pretty well so far for me. Obviously against 4Es finds itself at a clear disadvantage, but against fighters and 2E bombers it is performing just fine. Can't complain, really.
After every battle i transfer/rail out every single sentai that took place in it. In two days the Tojo/Zero/Oscar sentais are again at 100% strenght/availability at Calcutta, also considering the new plane bought in to compensate the losses. While the same number of fresh sentais with non-fatigued pilots are brought into the first line (Patna, Ranchi, Jamesphur).
It is working really well so far for me. The SR=2 and 3 planes (KI-45 and KI-61) remain at Calcutta to guard the big HUB-Base from any attempt to ruin this working strategy.
To be honest, i gotta say that this is the perfect playground for my limited air force (PDU OFF), with all the bases connected by railways and the line of fire pretty close to my bases (so that even a LRCAP mission don't completely fatigue my pilots).
Will try to make it last as long as possible. The more i drain his pools here, the less he'll be able to throw at me later on.

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Seeing the number of American units in your combat report should make you feel good. Right now, I'm using a full division, either an American rgt or Aussie/NZ brigade, and multiple tank battalions with artillery and combat engineers for each invasion in the Pacific. Having to face them here is a good thing right now. There were 6 Americans in that attack, so there has to be more stread all over India. He will need to switch over to a more Pacific focused attack relatively soon, I would think.
[center]Image[/center]
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Seeing the number of American units in your combat report should make you feel good. Right now, I'm using a full division, either an American rgt or Aussie/NZ brigade, and multiple tank battalions with artillery and combat engineers for each invasion in the Pacific. Having to face them here is a good thing right now. There were 6 Americans in that attack, so there has to be more stread all over India. He will need to switch over to a more Pacific focused attack relatively soon, I would think.

Hi Micheal,

there are no BIG american units in India as far as i can tell. A couple of Sep Regiments and some tanks, nothing serious.
The 32nd US ID is at Tulagi.
The 25th US ID was in Oz in march, so i guess the rest of the free american divisions (Marines included) are in the pacific, preparing for the next push...

Nov 1-4, 1942

After the defeat at Patna, the allies decide to reinforce the position. Another 65,000 men strong Army is advancing[X(]. We're getting ready for another push, with more units arriving close by. We've reinforced the Ranchi sector and the units are now all rested and 3,000 AVs are ready to fight again.
120,000 supplies are arriving from Singapore,while the Air units are all rested and 100% ready for another battle
The allies finally discover that everything west of Calcutta has been vacated (except for Madras) and para-drop troops to take back the empty Hyderabad and the nearby bases. A pity to abbandon territory without fighting, but Japan cannot defend all unfortunately.
Paras are moving to conquer the bases in the Adamans still in allied hands (empty)

OZ: heavy recon over Kalkoorite and Esperance. He must have noticed i have moved back the bulk of the 16th Army that occupied western Oz... ships are also spotted moving West from Melbourne...mmmm.... 180 bombers and 200 fighters are ready at Perth and 2 strong SCTFs are moving into position. The KB-1 in Indian Ocean is moving south towards Exmouth, in case he tries something sneaky down there.

SOPAC: Lunga garrison is now encircled and the allies are building fast their bases in the lower Solomons. At the same time they are getting ready for Makin, bombed every day. Nauru Island has been heavily bombed too, by 2 strong cruiser TFs. I'd like to let him feel confortable here. Bombers and fighters are moved to Roi-Namur with an Air HQ and the CVs with Tanaka and his BB/CAs are waiting in the shadows. No sign of the allied CVs. I just know that the wasp is somewhere hidden near Suva...

China: very active. The Changsha basin is now isolated.No more fuel will arrive here to feed the HI. The tanks are now pushing on both sides of Kweyang, even if my left wing keeps on having problems with supplies and, at least for the moment, can't attack without a complete air support. The air support is limited because he has at least 100 good fighters in China that ambush my bombing runs, so i have to be very carefull. A brand new KI-44b sentai is operating now in China. Will probably move it to India soon, but i'd like to show it to him here first.

HA-45 engines are now operative, along with the HA-44s. Good. Will need a lot of them!

The first group of 30 D1Y1 is now operative on Kaga[:D]

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

China: very active. The Changsha basin is now isolated.No more fuel will arrive here to feed the HI.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the northern approaches when attacking in China. IMO, it makes the Chinese supply situation worse to deny his HI access to fuel to generate supplies. It also gains Japan more fuel.

Central & South Pacific - Need to be aggressive here, but not foolish to get your licks in now vs Allied navy before it gets too big. Good luck here counselor!
[center]Image[/center]
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants
China: very active. The Changsha basin is now isolated.No more fuel will arrive here to feed the HI.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the northern approaches when attacking in China. IMO, it makes the Chinese supply situation worse to deny his HI access to fuel to generate supplies. It also gains Japan more fuel.

Central & South Pacific - Need to be aggressive here, but not foolish to get your licks in now vs Allied navy before it gets too big. Good luck here counselor!

CHINA: i agree. Actually the original plan was to advance in the north first, and then, only then, to take care of the central front. The huge defeat suffered at Sian changed completely the equation and forced me to accelerate the plans for the centre, before the Indian air bridge will be open again. Now the plan is to cut China in three (West, Centre, North) before India will be able to feed again the chinese troops. That's why i'm concentrating most of my efforts in the centre now.
It's harder and longer, i know, but i see no other choices now.

SOPAC: yes, true, but it is also true that it is there where the IJN impaled itselef in RL, defending and figthing for places that had no real strategic value. I am trying not to make the same mistake, drawing my personal "line in the sand" way back. Think that only time will tell if i am doing it wrong or not
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Here's an updated map of China:

As you can see, We've been pushing as hard as possible to cut the enemy's central front in two pieces. The operation launched this summer managed to unlock the situation in the south, but to break Chikkiang front it took me 4 months of heavy fightings.
Now, however, the Changsha basin is isolated and at least 220,000 good Chinese troops are trapped there. This is important cause those good-well-fed corps won't be able to defend Kweyang.
The idea now is to squeeze the Kweiyang front, forcing him to commit all his reserves. The tanks will be my spear, while the heavy artillery the hammer.
Once (and if) Kweiyang will fall, we will be able to drive to the plains and, above all, cut the road that connects Kunming to Chungking, so even if the India front will be shattered and the air bridge re-stabilished, Erik will only be able to feed the three bases in the western mountains.
Don't really know where and when i'll be forced to stop. China is draining my supply stockpiles a lot and, sooner or later, i'll be needing all those good divisions somewhere else.
But, for the moment, I wanna keep on pushing!

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (559.6 KiB) Viewed 113 times
veji1

Post by veji1 »

It is crazy to think that more than any other, the defining event in this game so far, the one with the most consequences, has been the Sian debacle... Without it you would have taken care of China a lot more easily, have had troops to spare (tanks and arty) for more offensive operations in India, be more ready to defend your perimeter and started saving a lot more supply.
Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: veji1

It is crazy to think that more than any other, the defining event in this game so far, the one with the most consequences, has been the Sian debacle... Without it you would have taken care of China a lot more easily, have had troops to spare (tanks and arty) for more offensive operations in India, be more ready to defend your perimeter and started saving a lot more supply.

Is it a question or a statement?
If it's a statement, it's the word "crazy" that I don't understand in the context. Sian debacle (loss of nearly 50,000 men in two days), forced me to change the whole strategy in china, and so in India/oz.
For sure, if Sian had fallen in early 1942, China would be by now mostly under my control and I could have been able to use all those tanks in India or Oz.
Instead, I had to change the whole general plan and concentrate on an alternative strategy for China.
I have a great respect and fear of a strong China in late 1944 and I know that if I don't take care of it NOW, the great tiger is gonna bite me back right when the americans will be knocking at the very gates of Japan...

I know most of you think I'm wasting my resources into a minor theatre (got some PMs about that), while the real war is somewhere else, but I do believe that china, after Burma, is the second most important theatre of war. A place where Japan cannot efford to lose
veji1

Post by veji1 »

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

If it's a statement, it's the word "crazy" that I don't understand in the context. Sian debacle (loss of nearly 50,000 men in two days), forced me to change the whole strategy in china, and so in India/oz.
For sure, if Sian had fallen in early 1942, China would be by now mostly under my control and I could have been able to use all those tanks in India or Oz.
Instead, I had to change the whole general plan and concentrate on an alternative strategy for China.
I have a great respect and fear of a strong China in late 1944 and I know that if I don't take care of it NOW, the great tiger is gonna bite me back right when the americans will be knocking at the very gates of Japan...

I know most of you think I'm wasting my resources into a minor theatre (got some PMs about that), while the real war is somewhere else, but I do believe that china, after Burma, is the second most important theatre of war. A place where Japan cannot efford to lose

Sorry mate, I didn't mean to sound aggressive or harsh. Crazay in that context meant "interesting, counterintuitive". What I meant is that in such a game we think what matters is the pacific, etc, but in your game the Sian debacle had a domino effect on your abilities and altered your strategy. I am not saying you haven't adapted nor criticizing your game, considering the problem it creates you are doing your best and it is very interesting to watch.

Really "crazy" wasn't criticism at all, sorry for misphrasing it.
Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

You are right here. China is the one attrition battle that the Japanese player must accept. There can be no dig in and wait strategy. You have to take Chungking and Langchow-no question about it. And if you can't defeat the Chinese it is best if you can push them far to the West. But the real key to China is holding Burma and India. You should be able to do that for a while. The Allies can do nothing offensively in China until the supply route is open. A bigger threat in my experience is Allied landings on the coast of China late in the war. This is very tough to defend against.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I think you can still do well in China. You should have extra time with Burma nice and safe with you Indian adventures.

Banzai!
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Sorry mate, I didn't mean to sound aggressive or harsh. Crazay in that context meant "interesting, counterintuitive". What I meant is that in such a game we think what matters is the pacific, etc, but in your game the Sian debacle had a domino effect on your abilities and altered your strategy. I am not saying you haven't adapted nor criticizing your game, considering the problem it creates you are doing your best and it is very interesting to watch.

Really "crazy" wasn't criticism at all, sorry for misphrasing it.

Don't worry Veji! Didn't take it personal! [:)] It just was clear to me if it was a question or not

Yes, Sian debacle was a turning point in this war. It meant a way stronger Chinese Army in early 1942 (also considering our HR about strat bombing), with all the flow of fuel to the Chinese HI and the supplies so generated, and, above all, it meant that Japan suddenly had to divert a considerable amount of forces (at least 4 Divisions,10 tank regiments,, 20 heavy artillery units, 130 fighters and 250 bombers) that should have been used to solidify the SOPAC/CENTPAC perimeter and the gains in India.
Because of Sian, we had to move back our expectations and fall back, slowly but steady, in India, Sopac and Centpac, simply because we didn't anymore the units to defend the initial gains there.
The alternative was to stop every offensive in China and transfer all those assets in the front-line theatres... but I decided not to because I am pretty sure that an untouched China will bite me back in the arse in late 1943 and, by that time, my ability to counter it would have been pretty minimal.
So I decided to concentrate on Central China and to keep the eastern India gains as long as possible, thus denying the air-bridge from Ledo as long as possible.
Hopefully, by the time I will be forced to abandon India, the Central China will be neutralized and so the menace contained

GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

You are right here. China is the one attrition battle that the Japanese player must accept. There can be no dig in and wait strategy. You have to take Chungking and Langchow-no question about it. And if you can't defeat the Chinese it is best if you can push them far to the West. But the real key to China is holding Burma and India. You should be able to do that for a while. The Allies can do nothing offensively in China until the supply route is open. A bigger threat in my experience is Allied landings on the coast of China late in the war. This is very tough to defend against.

Well, Chungking I believe is out of question in this game. If I will ever be able to siege it and starve it that would be already a BIG win for me.
The real strategic goal now is to get to the plains and cut the connection between Chungking and Kunming and between Chungking and Lanchow. If I can cut China in three pieces, then, I think, we'll be fine.

Let's see...
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Nov 05-07, 42

India: everything is quiet after the last big battle of the 31st of October. Instead the allied army gets out of the hex 53:30 and moves back to an uncontested hex. Don't know if he has abbandoned completely the idea of facing me directly there, but that's a big news for me!
The Japanese army is now fully operational and rested. There have been no air attacks since then, so my air force got back to its max. The second (and last) sentai of 42 planes has managed this week to upgrade to the KI-61a, so now all my units are up to their best possible upgrade step.
Don't really know what Erik has in mind...is he just grouping back in order to attack again stronger? Or is he shifting direction of his attentions to the western India? I've seen a couple of arrows from Allalabad moving west...which may mean he's transfering some support units to the Madras front...
Anyway, this is all good time gained for me. If i can hold untill jan 1943, my major goal will be achieved.
In the meanwhile a big supply convoy has reached India... that's good obviously.

China: a couple of 1-2 on both sides of Kweyang. On the west side, the tanks tried their luck, but got stopped by the strong enemy positions. Supplies are always in red in that sector and i can only attack once every10 days (with never more than 50% of the needed supplies).
On the eastern side of the Kweyang sector, the "artillery army" got a bad bloody nose... need to start all over again, rotating units in and out... oh well...

NOPAC: a lonely AM, sent by Erik south of the Kuriles to test my search capabilities, have been intercepted by the CL Oi and her escort and sunk. Need to pay more attention here...

OZ: a british DD is scouting the waters around Esperance. We are on max allert here.

SOPAC: The allies keep on building their perimeter. 4 bases around Tulagi have now been conquered and being built.

CENTPAC: after the bomabrdments of Nauru Island by his cruisers, the americans sent 3 groups of unescorted B-25s... they got intercepted by a sentai of A6M2s, which downed 22 bombers[:D]. The following days the P-38s arrived sweeping, and butchered by zeros. 8-1 in their favour but only 1 pilot KIA luckly.

Allied CVs: i have yet to discover where those bastards are. For sure the Wasp is in SOPAC and my subs spotted what seemed to be a CV TF near Karachi last week. Unfortunately we couldn't determine how many of them were there and, above all, if those were just britsh CVL/CV (Hermes and friends) or the whole lot of the american CVs... so we must be carefull. In any case, i have moved 3 more groups of Netties to Colombo, along with 100 more fighters...just to be sure. 90 Vals and 45 Kates are already operating between Diego and Colombo, while Ceylon has been reinforced with 2 more divisions.

GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

The air battle of Madras

Nov 09, 42

As the allies retire the bulk of their armies from Patna (leaving beyond the river approx 120,000 men), their greedy eyes move towards Madras, the last japanese fortress in the western side of India.
on the 8th we've spotted 60 fighters popping up at Bengalore...which meant only one thing: Madras was their next target.
The CAP has been raised to 50% and, as predicted, the next day the battle begun!
Despite the heavy storms that were present in the hex, the allies pushed in with their planned offensive.
LRCAP+SWEEP+heavy escorted 4Es raid.
It was a massacre for the Liberators!
My CAP did well, just suffering heavily from the P-38s sweeps that arrived later in the day, when the fortresses have already went away. Coordination was lacking this time for Erik, surely because of the bad weather...
Flak did a wonderfull job, downing nearly 15 bombers, while more 35 were downed by the fighters.
Overall a very good day. Lost some good pilots, but the airbase is safe and operative and the squadrons are being rotated as usual.
If he comes back tomorrow he's gonna have more surprises[:D]
This is exactly the kind of battles i'm looking for playing Japan, where i can train my pilots and inflict severe losses to the allied limited pools...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Madras , at 35,40

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid detected at 37 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 25
A6M3a Zero x 43
A6M5 Zero x 71
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 66

Allied aircraft
Mohawk IV x 9
B-24D Liberator x 36
P-40E Warhawk x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 2 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
Mohawk IV: 1 destroyed
B-24D Liberator: 8 destroyed, 23 damaged
B-24D Liberator: 2 destroyed by flak
P-40E Warhawk: 5 destroyed

Airbase hits 6
Runway hits 10

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 15000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb
8 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 15000 feet
2 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 15000 feet
3 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 15000 feet

CAP engaged:
253 Ku S-1 with A6M5 Zero (4 airborne, 10 on standby, 21 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 33 minutes
15 planes vectored on to bombers
251 Ku S-1 with A6M3a Zero (7 airborne, 15 on standby, 21 scrambling)
7 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 32 minutes
32 planes vectored on to bombers
582 Ku S-1 with A6M3 Zero (4 airborne, 9 on standby, 12 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 12000 and 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 28 minutes
1 planes vectored on to bombers
21st Sentai with Ki-45 KAIa Nick (5 airborne, 10 on standby, 15 scrambling)
5 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 11000 and 19000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 25 minutes
22 planes vectored on to bombers
264th Sentai with Ki-45 KAIa Nick (6 airborne, 12 on standby, 18 scrambling)
6 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 14000 and 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 32 minutes
26 planes vectored on to bombers
286 Ku S-1 with A6M5 Zero (6 airborne, 12 on standby, 18 scrambling)
6 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 8000 and 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 30 minutes
20 planes vectored on to bombers

Kawakubo O. in a A6M5 Zero makes head on attack ... forces B-24D Liberator out of formation
Maki, Y. in a A6M3a Zero makes head on attack ... forces B-24D Liberator out of formation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raid detected at 39 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 17
A6M3a Zero x 37
A6M5 Zero x 66
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 54

Allied aircraft
P-66 Vanguard x 4
B-17F Fortress x 4
B-24D Liberator x 24
F4F-4 Wildcat x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 1 destroyed
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 1 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-46-II Dinah: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
P-66 Vanguard: 1 destroyed
B-17F Fortress: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
B-17F Fortress: 1 destroyed by flak
B-24D Liberator: 4 destroyed, 11 damaged
B-24D Liberator: 1 destroyed by flak

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 3

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 16
A6M3a Zero x 34
A6M5 Zero x 61
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 49

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 9

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 7 damaged

Runway hits 2

Raid detected at 37 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 16
A6M3a Zero x 31
A6M5 Zero x 60
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 48

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 9
P-40E Warhawk x 23

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 1 destroyed
A6M5 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 1 destroyed, 7 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 3 destroyed

Runway hits 1

Raid detected at 35 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 12
A6M3a Zero x 29
A6M5 Zero x 51
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 45

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 9
F4F-4 Wildcat x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 1 destroyed, 5 damaged
F4F-4 Wildcat: 2 destroyed

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 2

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 10
A6M3a Zero x 28
A6M5 Zero x 50
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 44

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 9
P-40E Warhawk x 24
F4F-4 Wildcat x 29

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 1 destroyed
A6M5 Zero: 2 destroyed
Ki-46-II Dinah: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 7 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 1

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 23,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 8
A6M3a Zero x 25
A6M5 Zero x 36
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 35

Allied aircraft
P-38E Lightning x 7
P-38F Lightning x 25

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 2 destroyed
A6M5 Zero: 3 destroyed
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 3 destroyed

No Allied losses

Raid detected at 32 NM, estimated altitude 24,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 5
A6M3a Zero x 16
A6M5 Zero x 25
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 24

Allied aircraft
P-40K Warhawk x 49
F4F-4 Wildcat x 23

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 2 destroyed
A6M5 Zero: 2 destroyed
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40K Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (308.08 KiB) Viewed 118 times
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

And here's the butcher's bill of the day.
Not bad

Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (436.21 KiB) Viewed 118 times
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

These battles become a factory producing good pilots. These will be needed when the allied war machine will start producing P-47s and Hellcats.

Lost 22 Pilots KIA in this battle and 17 WIA, but only 2 aces lost their lives today, and they are replaced by others bcoming good enough. It's a good trade imho

PO1 Okano J. of 582 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 3
PO1 Sugiyama L. of 582 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 3
PO1 Fujimatsu U. of 286 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 5
PO1 Fujimatsu U. of 286 Ku S-1 attains ace status!!
WO Nishihata L. of 264th Sentai is credited with kill number 3
CPO Nagashima T. of 286 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 6
CPO Kawakami B. of 286 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 6
PO2 Kusumoto V. of 286 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 5
PO2 Kusumoto V. of 286 Ku S-1 attains ace status!!
PO2 Kusumoto V. of 286 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 6
PO2 Kaneko T. of 582 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 2
PO2 Chono R. of 251 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 3
WO Shimizu, K. of 21st Sentai is credited with kill number 2
PO1 Ide, S. of 253 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 3
PO1 Kaneko U. of 286 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 2
PO2 Chiyoshima R. of 253 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 2
CPO Fujimatsu P. of 286 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 8
WO Iwaya J. of 264th Sentai is credited with kill number 2
PO2 Minowa D. of 286 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 3
PO1 Kawakubo O. of 286 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 5
PO1 Kawakubo O. of 286 Ku S-1 attains ace status!!
PO1 Obayashi W. of 286 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 5
PO1 Obayashi W. of 286 Ku S-1 attains ace status!!
PO2 Muranaka B. of 251 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 3
PO2 Hirata S. of 253 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 2
PO1 Matsunaga T. of 251 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 2
WO Renzo B. of 21st Sentai is credited with kill number 2
2LT Hyakutake H. of 264th Sentai is credited with kill number 2
PO1 Nakajima S. of 251 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 3
2LT Ishihara V. of 264th Sentai is credited with kill number 2
WO Koda V. of 21st Sentai is credited with kill number 3
A6M3a Zero from 251 Ku S-1 is written off
WO Handa, W. of 251 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 3
A6M5 Zero from 286 Ku S-1 is written off
A6M5 Zero from 253 Ku S-1 is written off
LT Shibuya, K. of 251 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 2
A6M3 Zero from 582 Ku S-1 is written off
PO1 Kawato W. of 286 Ku S-1 is credited with kill number 2
Ki-45 KAIa Nick from 264th Sentai crashes on landing
Ki-45 KAIa Nick from 264th Sentai is written off
Ki-45 KAIa Nick from 21st Sentai is written off
A6M5 Zero from 253 Ku S-1 is damaged on landing
Damaged A6M5 Zero from 286 Ku S-1 is missing, pilot reported killed
Damaged A6M3a Zero from 251 Ku S-1 shot down on way home, pilot reported killed
Ki-45 KAIa Nick from 264th Sentai is written off
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

That was a very good day for you Nic. [:)] The Allies don't have the B-24 production numbers to replace those losses until 2/43. That is one whole BG (48 planes) now out of action.
[center]Image[/center]
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Kawakubo O. in a A6M5 Zero makes head on attack ... forces B-24D Liberator out of formation
Maki, Y. in a A6M3a Zero makes head on attack ... forces B-24D Liberator out of formation

Out of formation? Nice touch.

Return to “After Action Reports”