wall of steel suggestion

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Northern Star

wall of steel suggestion

Post by Northern Star »

Any ideas about how to break this wall of steel without losing most of my tanks due to 1:1=2:1?
Let me know

Attachments
vitebsk.jpg
vitebsk.jpg (109.52 KiB) Viewed 100 times
War in the East alpha tester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPV9JWWtOQ0
charlie0311

RE: wall of steel suggestion

Post by charlie0311 »

sure, I'll bite. Three entire Pz corps in the three hexes SE of Vitebsk, the rest of the pocket (for those two big stacks in the landbridge) closed with infantry. You should knock that stack west of the upper Dnepr out of the way first. Make sure you got the MPs to pull it off, well duh!
Northern Star

Post by Northern Star »

Unfortunately I don't have enough mp for this hex... But I have some mp for a small advance along the river north of Vitebsk to reach the hex in which the Dvina becomes a minor river... What do you think?

charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

probably are going to find some undetected units west of that HQ. What I proposed would take three turns, two to form the pocket and one to reduce it, but can't tell for sure from what I can see. Besides your opponent may well maneuver to prevent encirclement.

There's no rush, your job is to kill Russians, get the infantry forward and if you can't get "safe" encirclements just hit targets of opportunity as hard as you can, 5/1 plus.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Northern Star

Any ideas about how to break this wall of steel without losing most of my tanks due to 1:1=2:1?
Let me know

Yes stop wasting your time playing .15

1.08 nerfed the SHC I win bottun, not sure why people have wasted 10secs playing a game that gives one side an I win botton.

Middle Earth = 1v1=2v1
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Pelton is right, as usual, mostly I think. Now if he could spell "button".
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

With the imminent release of 1.08 I don't know why anyone would want to start a new game till then.
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Plenty of people have for some strange reason. Go figure.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Love doesn't need reasons...
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

A puzzle is a puzzle...many miss this point :-)

Northern Star

Post by Northern Star »

It's a matter of honor for me. I'm playing with one of the best players of the forum Road to Moscow and I surrendered previously a game because I played very badly (I stopped playing wite for 2 years...)
But I am still a wite alpha tester and I was considered one of the best German players during testing before the release... So even if the rules are in favour of my opponent now I need to find out quickly a good strategy, regain the lost time and return to be one of the most evil German players of the wite forum :)

swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Think there's no surprises here. This echoes charlie0311's suggestion: infantry north of Vitebsk, panzer ball up the center, and freeze (up to the river line) the southern sections with infantry. Then play for encirclements to bag as much as can be, opposed to quick capture of Smolensk. The more Soviet defends forward, the more risk of encirclements. Play for the big one.
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

My amateur opinion is that bigger the cost the bigger the prize has to be, I would try to create a massive pocket where infantry behind Dvina is the first jaw and at two whole panzer groups swinging from somewhere more south and east of Smolenks is the other.

No idea again if possible. [&:]
Northern Star

Post by Northern Star »

I've just finished the turn... This was the final position for infantry as the units came only after clearing the pockets. About the mobile units they stayed a bit far from the enemy lines because I want to avoid Saper's deliberate attacks...
I can't write you more for now otherwise he will know everything, so I will let you know what happened after Saper did his turn. He is usually very quick so I will let you know soon [:)]

Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

One thing you should be able to do is to pound those stacks from the air with a lot less losses than the games gives at the moment.
Northern Star

Post by Northern Star »

I received Saper's turn... now there are stacks also at the west side of the Dnepr. I think the one with fort level 2 that has three hexes west my stack 33-33 can be retreated.
The other thing to do at the moment is to put the infantry north of Vitebsk and other infantry units west of the Dnepr to avoid counterattacks and prepare an attack on Mogilev.

I don't know if to attack now the stack I showed you before and then wait for infantry to catch up and attack in the next turn or if to advance only with the infantry and then wait another turn...

He will have many other units unfrozen in this turn so he will be able to reinforce again the wall of steel if I decide to wait again.

Northern Star

Post by Northern Star »

Vitebsk

Attachments
vitebskn.jpg
vitebskn.jpg (215.17 KiB) Viewed 80 times

Northern Star

Post by Northern Star »

Mogilev

Attachments
mogilev.jpg
mogilev.jpg (227.62 KiB) Viewed 80 times

Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

ORIGINAL: Northern Star

Let me know
first, that is not a wall.

In turn 3 your infantry should relive the panzers , alow panzer HQ to build up , and launch a combined asault in turn 4.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

walls by both sides are allot harder to form, easyer to drop and they are not as deep
Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Return to “The War Room”