Bob Flemin' and Orm. A World..AARse!

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

composer99

RE: Bob Flemin' and Orm. A World..AARse!

Post by composer99 »

If you want a third-party die roller, you could try ACTS.

As I recall, if you register an account, you can set things up such that you can enter a description and tell the system to roll the dice, and it does so and sends an email to yourself and any other participants with the die roll result and description.

(They normally do card-driven games, but I used them once for a PBEM game of WiF.)
~ Composer99
Orm

Post by Orm »

No declarations of war.

Japan ask that the British government close the Burma Road. Japan declare that peace can not be reached with China when the region is militarized by weapons from the Commonwealth and France. Weapons that end up in the hands of bandits and warlords. Japan further promise to demilitarize their own zone in China if the road is closed and as soon as the issue with bandits is resolved. USA is positive to the possibility of peace in the region and therefore support the closure of the Burma Road.

Rumours from Berlin report that AH has suffered a stroke after yelling for hours at the plants in his garden.

In Belgium General von Rundstedt decide to launch a major offense with his reserves in order to recover from the disaster in France.

All three Axis nations select a land impulse.

Picture from May/Jun 40 Impulse #5 (Axis) - Naval Air
Attachments
052.jpg
052.jpg (740.89 KiB) Viewed 64 times
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

No port strikes.

Italy and Germany send aircraft out in the Western Mediterranean.

The Japanese ground strike against Mao fails but the bombardment of Kweilin has some effect.

Picture from May/Jun 40 Impulse #5 (Axis) - Ground Strike
Attachments
053.jpg
053.jpg (406.88 KiB) Viewed 64 times
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

Italy march into the French Alps and Corsica. They also continue to move towards Tunis. German reserves move forward and close in on the French units. The two Japanese Army groups in North China concentrate on Tungkwan.

Fallschirmjäger-Division Erdmann make the first large-scale airborne operation in the history of the world when they land in the rear area of the French 6th Army Corps.

Attachments
BUNDES~1.jpg
BUNDES~1.jpg (125.65 KiB) Viewed 64 times
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

I can never ever remember to take Corsica, even for free. Nice work.
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I can never ever remember to take Corsica, even for free. Nice work.
Thank you. [:)]
Orm

Post by Orm »

The German infantry reserves attack the French all along the line.

Picture from May/Jun 40 Impulse #5 (Axis) - Land Combat
Attachments
055.jpg
055.jpg (601.12 KiB) Viewed 64 times
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Too bad this forum doesn't have its own dice-rolling feature. Boardgamegeek.com has one; it's quite handy. Once you roll the dice, your roll is immediately posted for all to see, and it can be formatted to match the color/design/configuration of whatever dice you're using. Pretty cool.

I don't suppose the Matrix folks have ever considered adding similar functionality to these forums?
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

ORIGINAL: Orm
ORIGINAL: brian brian

I never play 1d10 any more, but just out of curiosity, how do you get a +1.75 blitz bonus using it?
MWIF adds +0.5 per panzer corps and +0.25 per panzer division when counting attacking blitz bonus.

I was thinking about this a little bit more while working outside the last several hours. This Rules as Coded deviation also encourages you to put an ARM or MECH in every attack, rather than concentrating them in one attack. You get the same +1 for one MECH, or two ARM. It also encourages having a lot of Mech divisions around, because two Mech divisions in an attack give you a +1 as well. Whereas Rules as Written gives you nothing at all for even Armor divisions on 1d10. (I think?)

A +1 is very powerful on the 1d10 = an odds level shift, basically. On 2d10, you get a +1 for each ARM, but you need a +2 on 2d10 to be equal to an odds level shift. I don't think the Blitz bonus rule was written to give you an odds level shift for adding one battalion of tanks and a couple battalions of assault guns (common component of a German Panzergrandier division as not all had real tanks) to a land battle involving a half dozen corps formations. With unlimited mech divisions, this tactic gets even more powerful, and you might as well make up all the mech divisions you can for attacker losses, even though they cost a little bit more than the usual motorised infantry division for that purpose. Usually, a Ground Strike is an odds level shift up. This makes it look like mech divisions are more effective at that, as they don't roll for success. (Which Blitz Bonus does already, granted, but normally by committing more tanks).

I go through work periods where I can't participate on this board much, so perhaps I missed any discussion on this RAC deviation. But I can't say this is just a trivial change to the combat system to facilitate programming it. Is this one listed in the RAC deviations? I can't see a good reason to change this and increase the subtle differences between the two combat systems.

Unless I am just reading the "+1 for every two ARM/MECH units" wrong and RaW really intends all this, having ARM/MECH corps count the same as the divisions. But I don't think that is how the paper rules are supposed to work, as that is not how it works in 2d10. Though as always, I could be completely wrong, in terms of how 1d10 normally works.
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

dang it, I found warspite's message last night. the Forum's PM system is probably working OK. when you message someone here, you can send a PM, or an email. the message went to an email account I only really monitor on my phone, and since it was a rare day where I had all day net access with my laptop, I wasn't really keeping a close eye on my phone as I would most days working on the road, where I am headed today.

just wanted to note what happened; he did make the effort, a nice touch on the part of a dedicated gamer.

war is frequently a topsy-turvy affair, and this particular game looks to be no different. Enjoy!
Orm

Post by Orm »

Plenty of Axis attacks this impulse. [8D]

Attachments
056.jpg
056.jpg (313.55 KiB) Viewed 64 times
composer99

Post by composer99 »

brian brian:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe your analysis in #189 is predicated on the equivalence of divisions and corps in modifying the 1d10 die rolls - and didn't Orm specify that divisions are half as effective?
~ Composer99
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: composer99

brian brian:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe your analysis in #189 is predicated on the equivalence of divisions and corps in modifying the 1d10 die rolls - and didn't Orm specify that divisions are half as effective?
The divisions is half as effective in MWIF but I think that MWIF deviates from the blitz rule as it is written.

RAC: 11.16.5 Resolving attacks
Option 39: (Blitz bonus) Add 1 to the die roll for each two attacking ARM, MECH and HQ-A units
conducting a blitz attack against a clear or desert (non-city) hex in fine weather. Subtract one from the roll per
defending ARM, MECH and HQ-A in a (non-city) clear or desert hex in fine weather. Add 1 to the roll for each
paradropping unit (after air to air combat and anti aircraft fire, if any).

----------
----------

If this should be further discussed then maybe it can be moved to a new thread?
Orm

Post by Orm »

The first attack out is, in a way, the most unimportant one. The fighting has bypassed Lille and it is no longer a obstacle. And the odds is so high that the only question were if the defenders would take a attacking unit with them or not. Fortunately I didn't roll a 1 so all my units survived. Even better that they were not disorganized but that was less important.

Attachments
057.jpg
057.jpg (334.92 KiB) Viewed 64 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

The second attack out is maybe the most important attack of the impulse. It is imperative that the hex is taken. Really disappointing then that the fractional odds roll is failed. But I suppose that is a lesson for me since I had already counted on the attack to be one odds higher. I had also expected a additional +1 from the paratrooper instead of the +0.5.

Anyway. The attack was a success in that it cleared the hex. Would have been nice if I didn't lose yet another unit that is now very hard to replace.

Attachments
058.jpg
058.jpg (335.44 KiB) Viewed 64 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

The third attack is also important that it clear the defending hex but with the high odds that is already given.

But it is nice that the attacking force stay organized.

Attachments
059.jpg
059.jpg (329.73 KiB) Viewed 64 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

With the two previous attacks cutting the supply for the French defenders the odds for this attack increase dramatically.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the French armour was destroyed as well as there was no retreat path available.
Attachments
060.jpg
060.jpg (338.17 KiB) Viewed 64 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

Next up was a attack West of Metz with the final odds 6-1+3 blitz and that was such good attack that it couldn't fail. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of it but the die roll was a 7 and both defenders destroyed.
Orm

Post by Orm »

The last attack in France might have been the least important one. But it is always nice to stay organized.

Attachments
061.jpg
061.jpg (314.76 KiB) Viewed 64 times
composer99

Post by composer99 »

Six attacks that have effectively obliterated the French Army. The Heer has advanced an entire hexrow the old-fashioned way: SMASH! [X(]

(The nice thing about the success at Lille is that it grants the Germans the opportunity to smash the BEF.)
~ Composer99

Return to “After Action Report”