Should AI French crossbow units charge into melee?

In the age of Pike and Shot, mighty struggles erupted across Europe for causes religious, political or dynastic. The Thirty Years War raged across Germany and beyond, leaving devastation in its wake, but saw the rise of great commanders such as Count Tilly, Wallenstein and King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, and rapid developments in battlefield tactics.
jack54

Should AI French crossbow units charge into melee?

Post by jack54 »

Hi Again...

I noticed on a few occasions that AI controlled French Crossbow units (Foot) will charge enemy units. I am new to this era so it may be ok but the detailed tool tip indicates the foot crossbow unit has no impact or melee ability.

The AI in this game is very good but I thought this looked odd. If it's WAD then fine but if not I have saves before and after the charge if you'd like to see.

Thanks!
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
rbodleyscott

RE: Should AI French crossbow units charge into melee?

Post by rbodleyscott »

They can charge other light troops if they think they have a good chance. They can also charge heavy troops who are foolish enough to come into bad terrain.

Having no close combat capabilities does not mean they can't fight, it just means they get no points of advantage against anything (and most things will have POA against them). Like most troops of the era, they would have swords, they just aren't skilled enough with them to be given Swordsmen capability.

Being light troops, they are not allowed to charge non-light troops in open terrain.
jack54

RE: Should AI French crossbow units charge into melee?

Post by jack54 »

Nice...[:)] Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't even considering terrain effects. It was a light foot (edit) unit downhill; even more impressed with the AI.

Edit: (attacked unit changed to 'light foot' unit from 'light horse' unit)
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)

Return to “Pike & Shot Series”