Updated Graphics

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

Vic

RE: Updated Graphics (and more!)

Post by Vic »

nocrates in the defaultmod.txt file is an example of a modline in the mod file to block a certain feature in the random game setup. But you can also use also the following below. For example no1townstart. If multiple you can seperate by using a "-" sign.
noworldsize-noweather-maxplayer02-maxplayer03-etc..-maxplayer13-noworldtype-nomaploop-nomirrorish-noshrowd-no1townstart-nocostlyresearch-nostoneage-nocrates-nohiddenstats-noaiallied-nouseresources-noroads-nowildlands-nodepletedlands-nodesertedlands-nochangemaster-nocontinentalsize-nohumidity-nogeologicalage-nolimitedroads-nonaturalcoastlines

best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

@Ormand, @Webizen,

I had assumed that if one selected "0" from the choice of 0,1,2,3,4 on the front menu that I was playing plain vanilla ATG. It seems that counter battery fire is turned on even if "0" is selected.

This is a misery in my PBEM games. Could I be right about this, and are any other mods in effect if "0" is chosen?

Chuck
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I want to describe what happened to give everyone the best chance of diagnosing this issue.

I am playing "GD 1938" and have never seen counter battery fire in this game. I fired at the one hex range of artillery in GD1938 on German forces. I have done this for over 30 turns. I took losses equal to all my artillery, even those units that dropped out early from lack of AP. They surrendered, although they were in no way surrounded. I started the turn over (sorry guys) and chose to not move one artillery into the hex, and the three other units, which did not have to move, fired on Cologne successfully.

This may just be a bug, not related to the Ormand mod, but since he mentioned CounterBattery was turned on I wondered about the possibility.

Chuck
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

From what I know about how mods work I'd say it is highly unlikely to have been caused by Ormand's mod.
ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

I want to describe what happened to give everyone the best chance of diagnosing this issue.

I am playing "GD 1938" and have never seen counter battery fire in this game. I fired at the one hex range of artillery in GD1938 on German forces. I have done this for over 30 turns. I took losses equal to all my artillery, even those units that dropped out early from lack of AP. They surrendered, although they were in no way surrounded. I started the turn over (sorry guys) and chose to not move one artillery into the hex, and the three other units, which did not have to move, fired on Cologne successfully.

This may just be a bug, not related to the Ormand mod, but since he mentioned CounterBattery was turned on I wondered about the possibility.

Chuck
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

All that these menu options do is determine what buttons appear on the main screen. You don't even need to select any menu option. If you close the menu window, the default main screen loads as determined by the defaultmod.txt file. In any case it should have no affect on an existing save game file.

@Ormand, @Webizen,

I had assumed that if one selected "0" from the choice of 0,1,2,3,4 on the front menu that I was playing plain vanilla ATG. It seems that counter battery fire is turned on even if "0" is selected.

This is a misery in my PBEM games. Could I be right about this, and are any other mods in effect if "0" is chosen?

Chuck
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Chuck

My guess would be that it is a bug in ATG not in GD 1938 or Ormands mod. I am unsure of what it is exactly, and I think Vic would want a save game, if it is repeatable.

Claus
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I agree, and will try and get a save file.

Chuck
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

Hi, Sorry for radio silence, but until Aug 10 I will have very limited availability. None next week at all.

Yes, choosing "0" should bring up a screen where if you make a random game, it will just be standard ATG. Since I didn't upload the anewdawn.at2 file, this should be the one you have. And, Webizen is correct. If you have a saved game started with a different at2 file, there should be no effect at all. The only thing you can alter is if you changed the graphics files themselves so that a different graphics would be loaded into the same position as a defined graphic.

I also checked that my graphics mod for standard ATG (basic and addunits), i.e., neither regiments or division, has rulevar 142 set to 0, so there should be no counter battery fire. Rulevar 142 is set to 1 in the regiments and divisions at2 files, so there will be counter battery in these games.

I have been able to play a few games with counter battery on, and have found that if you hit a hex with say three units in it, you can have a fairly serious counter-battery effect. Mostly because infantry guns 2 have ranged artillery, so they will fire back after one or two rounds. If have hit a three stack unit with 8 artillery 1 units, but each of the enemy had 4 infantry guns 2. Ouch. I haven't seen the effect you describe, but it does need to be pegged down. Unfortunately, I won't be able to help for a bit.

One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Thanks, but I think it may be a weird bug, perhaps in ATG itself. It only happens in a very specific circumstance.

Chuck
mashkis

RE: Updated Graphics

Post by mashkis »

Where can I find the download links?
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Checkout this post: fb.asp?m=3648956
ORIGINAL: mashkis

Where can I find the download links?
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

Hopefully, I didn't screw anything up, but I just uploaded version 3 of Four Seasons Graphics mod. The upgrade can be installed via a "patch" which will install over the base installation and upgrade some graphics, and put the scenario files in the right place. This is file 4Seasons-Patch.atzip. I also replaced parts 1-5 and 2-5 and the at2zip files for future downloading of the full package. The patch is needed only if you downloaded prior to today, 10/20/2014.

The changes:

Changed the interior graphics for city and suburb (might need more work to make it better).

Fixed the Halftrack upgrade issue in Divisions.

Tweaked artillery units. Gave surface ships artillery capability against surface ships. Tweaked surface ship artillery.

Added several units:
Light, medium, and heavy coastal batteries and tech dependent on Heavy Artillery.
Light Infantry I, II, III, IV - has better recon and hide value than Rifle
Bicycle and Motorcycle units that can mobilize Light Infantry. Motorcycle has good recon capability.

Increased weights for regular infantry from 1 to 2 and modified carry capacity of trucks, jeeps, horses, and halftracks. Bicycles and motorcycles can only carry weight 1, so can only mobilize light infantry.

Removed carry capacity for Calvary.

Unfortunately, I can't upload the BIG graphics. The scaled versions from the game are not as good as what I have. I actually started with a 384x289 image that I reduced to 128x96 and then to 64x48.

I am pretty sure that the AI will not use coastal artillery as a human player would, so you should take that into consideration while playing. I included these units mostly for historical purposes and particular scenarios I have in mind.

As for scale, I am thinking that Regiments should be somewhere around 10 km/hex, so artillery ranges are based on this. For divisions, this is more complicated, but it most certainly at least 20-40 km/hex (it is hard to adjust artillery for this as regular artillery would have a range of just one hex).
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Did you fix the road through the woods issue? I can not get it to work at all.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

Darn it! Yes and No. I fixed it in Divisions, but Regiments. Sorry, there were a lot of parallel tasks and I forgot that one (hopefully not others as well). I fixed both the patch and the standard at2zip file.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Ormand's high quality BIG graphics for zoomed in mode are here:

http://rtworks.org/GameStuff/FourSeasonsBIG.atzip (138MB)

Right click to download...
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

Thanks for giving them a home Webizen. I should look into whether I can set up a site with comcast. At any rate, the BIG graphics are higher quality. In all cases, I started with the larger graphics and scaled them down from 128x96 to 64x48. I believe the scaling used in ATG is equivalent to "cubic" in GIMP. Generally, I used the lanczos setting, which is better, but can just a hair trickier. For urban and forests, I actually used a template that was much larger, I think three times the BIG size. And then scaled down, from there. The problem with using the regular graphics to scale up to BIG is, of course, that there less information, and thus they don't look as good.

I forgot to mention that you should delete the SMALL graphics for suburbs and city. Just delete the City and Suburbs directories under graphics/FourSeasonsSMALL/Terrain. When you start up ATG, ATG will regenerate these directories based on what is in FourSeasons/Terrain. If you don't do this, the older images will still be there for SMALL graphics.

OK, if you DO NOT (and only then) install the BIG graphics above, you should also delete these two directories in FourSeasonsBIG (they will be regenerated with the regular graphics).

In the end, the newer urban graphics try to get away from the sharp edges the original graphics had. They look similar, and while they could still be made better, they are an improvement. And, also, when reduced to 48x24, it may not make much difference.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

These BIG graphics are much nicer than those auto generated by ATG from the standard size graphics.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

For comparison:

Scaled from regular graphics:

Attachments
G1.jpg
G1.jpg (309.9 KiB) Viewed 485 times
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

For natural BIG:

Attachments
G2.jpg
G2.jpg (331.08 KiB) Viewed 486 times
Josh

Post by Josh »

Nice. The railroads suddenly look like real rr, and the city is what you see in Googlemaps [:)] pretty sharp.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”