RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Universe

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

ehsumrell1

RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Universe

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Hello LordTareq;

Yes, in Version 1.0 it is a base game issue because none of the ship design template files were modified
in any way except by Elliot's updates. Our focus in Version 1.0 was largely cosmetic and adapting to
Universe standards in nature. My goal in Version 2.0 is to enhance the areas that weren't focused on
in 1.0 (Tech tree reorganization including Race-specific tech, Star Trek Themed Facilities, Components
including Race-Specific, ST-Themed Plagues, etc.), add more races, characters and shipsets, and most
definitely work on theme balance.

Concerning the multiple damage control components, true, they don't stack. But I personally do understand
(and use in my gameplay) multiple DC components as a backup.

It's my intent to not release Version 2.0 until I've added all the new items and races, completed a UFP
map for both 700 and 1400 stars, and most of all, be happy with the balance. For instance, Borg should be
(and usually are) mean, nasty and trying to assimilate everything in sight. Gorn, Breen, Reman and others
are mean, battle-hardened and tough. Among other things, basically a tougher AI but good play balance also.

So that's it for now. In closing LordTareq, we appreciate and expect both constructive criticism and on
occasion some praise. As a beta tester on Elliot's team believe me, I've got a tough skin. Mostly due
to the fact that if something is not understood or deciphered correctly, or the manual is not read, its
either a bug or a design flaw. Our Trek Team can handle it and often I anticipate it. That's why my
philosophy on modding this game falls under "the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few...or the one".
[:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
ghostikailo

Post by ghostikailo »

Thank you so much for putting in all this hard work. I cant start to understand how long it must of took you, to write all that text, I see in some of the files. Distant worlds is already a great game, and you 100 percent made it alot better, just on the fact you changed it so not all the characters have the same pictures.
Really good work, and if it wasent for people such as your self in the PC gaming world, I think i would give up on it all together.
cookj71

Post by cookj71 »

Sorry if this is somewhere else, but search is failing me, at google and here. :(
I believe this is more of a DW issue than your awesome mod.
I am trying to play the borg, and I can not get borg to resettle to a conquered planet. There are just the enslaved inhabitants. I just end up with troops on a conquered planet.
I am pretty new to DW. I have tried things like even increasing the tax rate on highly populated planets to ridiculous amounts. I would guess I'm about to have a rebellion due to such.

Hoping you can point me to how best to take over and "borg assimilate" them into the empire.

Thanks!!
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: ghostikailo

Thank you so much for putting in all this hard work. I cant start to understand how long it must of took you, to write all that text, I see in some of the files. Distant worlds is already a great game, and you 100 percent made it alot better, just on the fact you changed it so not all the characters have the same pictures.
Really good work, and if it wasent for people such as your self in the PC gaming world, I think i would give up on it all together.
Hello ghostikailo, and welcome to the DW forums! [:)]
I can't thank you, and others like you, who shower us with such kind words! I'm grateful to have not
only a great 'Trek Team', but to have had Igard (the originator of the DW Star Trek mods) as my mentor
per se, and motivator to keep these mods updated and active.

I'm a Trekkie...and have been since the original series many years ago. So when the opportunity arose
for me to first assist, then take over these massive projects I jumped on the chance. Not quite realizing
how impactful this would become. In addition, after discovering this game and getting to know Elliot Gibbs
(the game's creator & developer) I also was lucky enough to be chosen to his beta test team for the
first expansion, which allowed me to fully understand the games's dynamics. It's been a joyride of opportunity since!

Nevertheless, again, thank you for your compliments! I hope that you and everyone likes Version 2.0 of the Picard Era mod when it's released even more!
[&o]
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: cookj71

Sorry if this is somewhere else, but search is failing me, at google and here. :(
I believe this is more of a DW issue than your awesome mod.
I am trying to play the borg, and I can not get borg to resettle to a conquered planet. There are just the enslaved inhabitants. I just end up with troops on a conquered planet.
I am pretty new to DW. I have tried things like even increasing the tax rate on highly populated planets to ridiculous amounts. I would guess I'm about to have a rebellion due to such.

Hoping you can point me to how best to take over and "borg assimilate" them into the empire.

Thanks!!
Hello cookj71 and welcome to the DW Forums!
The Borg are a evil lot, aren't they!
To assist with your question, using a text editor such as Notepad, go into the Borg race file and
modify their 'Migration Factor'. It is near the bottom of the file and the line looks like this:
MigrationFactor ;0.8
Increase the Migration Factor to around 1.8 so the line looks like this:
MigrationFactor ;1.8
That will increase the Borg's migration to other planets. Eventually, they will migrate via
Passenger Ships to your other planets. Now if you want to direct them to a specific planet or two,
then the workaround I would use is to set all your planets to 'Do Not Accept' except for the planets
you want to send the Borg to. That's about as close to Borg-like 'Assimilation' as you can get.
Resistance IS futile!
[:D]
zoommooz11

Post by zoommooz11 »

With the new patch delaying version 2's release, are we still expecting it sometime this month? Not trying to be pushy (ok a tiny bit) but just a ball park figure would be great.
cookj71

Post by cookj71 »

Hi ehsumrell1,

Again awesome mod. Yeah I have been playing around with your mod. So this is very familiar, thanks for calling out the exact location and confirming what I figured.

I'll probably throw a few other things your way as well. Let me know if you would prefer I not.

One thing I noticed on my first play through. (No changes to current build). Lost as the Borg. Random cluster galaxy, I had my own cluster to start out with and a few independent colonies to take over. So quickly had 10 colonies going. I could not keep up with almost everyone else's tech rate. I had numerous tech bases, three scientists. I showed I had 700K or something max and I had so much extra research facility, it wasn't funny. I fast tracked so much I had little money for anything else. Yet all but one wonder was built by another race.

Also, I left colonization on auto, I found the game was queuing up colony ships from the closest planets to what could be colonized. This caused all kinds of planets to be colonized by enslaved races, which caused all kinds of issues. And back to the lack of migration, No growth and no "borg" showing up to live on them. A few did see migration, but only a few.

I'll try the do not accept, but isn't enslave a more forceful version of that? I had all others as enslave. This was because I didn't feel extermination with the overall DW game mechanics was what borg should do, but I'm going to try, migration change and set extermination. Since this suppose to be, assimilation, I'll see if I can't figure out how to ensure that extermination provides a 10% growth bonus. Maybe make that even higher.

My thoughts is the Borg should require almost every other race to come together to really push or take them out, but I also understand this is a mod, and creating a race that causes almost everyone to not want them to appear in their game, because it just turns into: Must take out borg, ASAP.

Also, as a Star Trek fan, only from NG forward. The borg ships were Huge. Why is federation +30% ship size if borg is only +40%. You don't really need to answer/defend this. Just figured I would not see bigger military ships than +20% if borg were +40%.

I think I'm rambling....

Last quick thoughts, I know you didn't ask.

Yes, federation have bigger ships than other races. But, federation ships are civilian and military mix, with huge space taken for families on board. So to me the fix would be. Federation ship size should be standard, but have the ships image scale to larger. It looks like you can't tweak the builds to have excess hab modules, but that could be an alternative. But then any "ship builder" is likely to remove them.

A Klingon bird of prey is half the size of it's equivalent fire power federation ship. And I believe the Romulun etc are the same way. The one huge Romulun ship in TV/Movies severely outclassed the same federation ship.

Ok, going to go tweak out some things, like the migration factor.

Thanks for all the help and the great mod.
ghostikailo

Post by ghostikailo »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Hello ghostikailo, and welcome to the DW forums! [:)]
I can't thank you, and others like you, who shower us with such kind words! I'm grateful to have not
only a great 'Trek Team', but to have had Igard (the originator of the DW Star Trek mods) as my mentor
per se, and motivator to keep these mods updated and active.

I'm a Trekkie...and have been since the original series many years ago. So when the opportunity arose
for me to first assist, then take over these massive projects I jumped on the chance. Not quite realizing
how impactful this would become. In addition, after discovering this game and getting to know Elliot Gibbs
(the game's creator & developer) I also was lucky enough to be chosen to his beta test team for the
first expansion, which allowed me to fully understand the games's dynamics. It's been a joyride of opportunity since!

Nevertheless, again, thank you for your compliments! I hope that you and everyone likes Version 2.0 of the Picard Era mod when it's released even more!
[&o]
I am sure I will. Dont give up[:)]. I dont have much experience with modding, other than skyrim, and dayz, but i know it gets frustrating. You def have my support. I like it as it is now, even with out the great stuff you plan for it. Distant World was def made for this mod it seems lol.
I am still a noob at the game though, so i have alot to learn. I only have had it for 3 days. I should of played the orginal first more, but when i saw this.... I had to install it. I am quite glad i found it in 1.0, by the time I figure out the game, I will be able to enjoy 2.0, alot more. Since 1 doesnt change the game features to much other then cosmetics, which you did a really really great job on. When I first say the USS enterprise as my ships, I was really happy. I was really really really happy though when I got to see all the characters you did. It really made the game alot better for me. I really hated the that all characters had the same picture.
Thank you for the welcome, and thank you again for all your hard work.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: zoommooz11

With the new patch delaying version 2's release, are we still expecting it sometime this month? Not trying to be pushy (ok a tiny bit) but just a ball park figure would be great.
Hello zoommooz11;
It's very doubtful that our team will have it ready this month. I was hoping for that, but the last two
updates from Elliot really opened up a few things I'd been hoping for and waiting on. In addition, my
decision to create two different immersion map sizes has come into play. Yes, I could release version 2.0
without them but that's not how I operate. Saying such, with adequate testing time, I might be able to get
the Pre-release Candidate to our team for testing within a couple weeks. If so, then plan on a release time
near Thanksgiving or sooner (being safe). Although as long as my 'day job', wife of nearly 30 years, 13 grandkids,
no further updates, and general life continues its normalcy, I plan on sooner than that.
(Also hope that my stash of Vintage Romulan Ale holds out!) [:D]
ghostikailo

RE: Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Universe

Post by ghostikailo »

ORIGINAL: Icemania

Great news! I hope it puts Star Trek Armada 3 for Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion to shame ...
It already does. Just based on solar systems are real, not 5 of them, with 100s of planets, or one huge one. I think it puts it to shame also with the characters, and diplomacy texts already. That is just my thoughts though lol.
I think Distant worlds, is a much better platform for a star trek mod, than rebellion.
zoommooz11

Post by zoommooz11 »

Just pottering around waiting for 2.0 and I noticed that the borg, who's native planet type is desert, have a +40% research cost (and most of the others have +20) for desert related research. Is this intended, or was it supposed to be a bonus??
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: zoommooz11

Just pottering around waiting for 2.0 and I noticed that the borg, who's native planet type is desert, have a +40% research cost (and most of the others have +20) for desert related research. Is this intended, or was it supposed to be a bonus??
Intended for balance purposes.
ghostikailo

Post by ghostikailo »

Just want to give you some more encouragement, dont give up.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Thanks ghostikailo! Still on my schedule so far and hanging in there. Thanks for
the support!

[:)]
StorGandibal

Post by StorGandibal »

Beautiful mod, congratulations for the excellent work. [&o] I tried to create a Trek map and it's generally working well, except for the fact that I can't seem to make the Klingons leave the Kronos/ Qo'noS System and start colonizing on their own. [:D]
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

Nobody is giving up. It just takes time to get things right.
ghostikailo

Post by ghostikailo »

I am really glad to hear that. I was getting a little worried with Civs beyond earth coming out, i was seeing others, like the guy who made the AI improvement go to that terrible game. Was hoping you guys werent going to, glad you arent. Thanks again for all your work, I really enjoy the mod.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: StorGandibal

Beautiful mod, congratulations for the excellent work. [&o] I tried to create a Trek map and it's generally working well, except for the fact that I can't seem to make the Klingons leave the Kronos/ Qo'noS System and start colonizing on their own. [:D]
Hello StorGandibal, and thanks for the kind compliment!

Just FYI, in our Version 2.0 release there will be two Star Trek maps. One for 1,400 stars and one
for 700 stars. That's one of the reasons that we haven't released yet. After they are finished I want to
make sure that our team gets an ample amount of testing done on them once they're completed.
I am really glad to hear that. I was getting a little worried with Civs beyond earth coming out, i was seeing others, like the guy who made the AI improvement go to that terrible game. Was hoping you guys werent going to, glad you arent. Thanks again for all your work, I really enjoy the mod.
@ghostikailo
Yes, don't worry! The "Trek Team" (notice the name) is not going away. Some members may change due to
real life priorities, but I hope to always keep one together for modding Distant Worlds. After we
finish releasing Version 2.0 of The Picard Era mod, I'm taking a brief break, then we will focus on
updating and finishing Star Trek The Kirk Era mod.
cookj71

Post by cookj71 »

Hi ehsumrell1,

Not sure if this is the place to post bugs. I just had my borg queen get replaced due to incompetence. I did not expect to see my leader replaced outside of enemy attack of some kind. I have been playing the game for a long number of years, game years. Let me know if/what other info you need from me on this.

Thanks again for a great mod.

Really fun.

ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: cookj71

Hi ehsumrell1,

Not sure if this is the place to post bugs. I just had my borg queen get replaced due to incompetence. I did not expect to see my leader replaced outside of enemy attack of some kind. I have been playing the game for a long number of years, game years. Let me know if/what other info you need from me on this.

Thanks again for a great mod.

Really fun.
Hello cookj71! Glad you're enjoying the mod! Yes, if true bugs in this mod are found, please post them here.

Although, this is not a bug cookj71, the mod (and game) is working as designed. Let me clarify for you.
Governments that do not have elected leaders (Despotism, Feudalism, Hive Mind, Military Dictatorship, Monarchy, Technocracy, Corporate Nationalism, Way of Darkness) normally get to keep their leader until the leader is removed by events or is otherwise eliminated. However, there is a chance of a change of leader (much smaller than that of elected governments) based on certain factors.

While the exact age of a character is not tracked, the time of service is tracked. Most characters will not serve indefinitely. Characters that are not lost to combat or other events may retire or pass away due to old age during the game (or, as in your case, incompetence). My guess is that your Borg Queen's synapses were wearing out and the Hive Mind's logic made a decision to replace her (I at least could roll with that). Just FYI, characters may also be lost due to invasions, planetary bombardment, ship destruction, space travel mishaps, assassination, plagues, natural disasters, etc.

Hopefully this explains it for you. As far as needing anything else from you concerning this, I don't
think so. If you wish, you may submit her body in stasis for an autopsy. Send it to StarFleet Medical
Center, Sol System, Planet Earth, attention: Doctor Lewis Zimmerman.

Otherwise, you have the Trek Team, and my personal, sincerest condolences on your loss!
[:(]
Attachments
DrLewisZimmerman.gif
DrLewisZimmerman.gif (27.27 KiB) Viewed 317 times

Return to “Design and Modding”