[WIP][DWU] More governments

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Emp_Palpatine

RE: [WIP][DWU] More governments

Post by Emp_Palpatine »

May I suggest some sort of stratocracy? I.e. a military government but one following constitutionnal baselines. A little bit like Roman Republic or, well Starship troopers one.
Military dictatorship doesn't quite cover this, as a dictatorship isn't a system where the rule of law abides whereas it does in a stratocracy.

That would be a "good oriented" government.
I am the Senate!
Solarius Scorch

Post by Solarius Scorch »

ORIGINAL: Emp_Palpatine

May I suggest some sort of stratocracy? I.e. a military government but one following constitutionnal baselines. A little bit like Roman Republic or, well Starship troopers one.
Military dictatorship doesn't quite cover this, as a dictatorship isn't a system where the rule of law abides whereas it does in a stratocracy.

That would be a "good oriented" government.

This seems to be quite close to virocracy - rule of soldiers. Which is also something totally different from a military dictatorship. (I think Star Trek Federation is not a bad example.)
Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!
Emp_Palpatine

Post by Emp_Palpatine »

In a stratocracy, there are regular institutions, rule of law and so on. The difference is one has to be in the military to be an official, one has to serve to become a citizen. Think Starship Troopers.

I am the Senate!
Solarius Scorch

Post by Solarius Scorch »

Yeah, they're variances of similar ideas. This is a slippery subject to tackle, especially when you attempt to parametrize them against each other in terms of game mechanics. :)
Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!
dwaine

Post by dwaine »

Ok for stratocracy, as soon as i'm back in front of my computer. But we are reaching the limit ... 29 right now, and 30 with stratocracy, which is the max allowed.
Devs, please remove or increase limits !!!
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

At least these governments are already in the game under different names... Monarchy IS Absolute Monarchy. Another thing is that religious governments probably should have a positive income. The masses would be likely to give most if not ALL of their money in support of the church without a single complaint about the tax levels. No one complains about giving more money to the Catholic church despite the fact that they have a bank account with ALOT of money in it already.

Also, population growth would take a hit depending on the kind of religion. War Weariness would be lower due to a sense of entitlement to forcibly spread their religion universally. Corruption would likely increase if we use the Catholic Church as an example. Troop recruitment would increase with the drop in War Weariness.
Kingah

Post by Kingah »

Max 60 goverments.
Get to work :P
TheTrooper

Post by TheTrooper »

First! Great work!! It really added a more immersive atmosphere to the game! I like to put a lot of Confederation and Federation stuff into the game [:D] But the only ''unrealistic'' thing is that after a while every empire switches to Proletarian Dictatorship. Is there any way i can prevent this from happening? I modified the Prolet. Dictatorship parameters, turning it into a more Federation like goverment. I made it a little bit less stable and made their war weariness more like the democracy's standard, also because i personally don't agree with you with the definition of Prolet Dictatorship and so i changed to what i thought i was right. No offense or anything meant! Do you think it it may work with my modifications?
Sindri

Post by Sindri »

Hi, it seems pretty easy to add this to the DW Extended mod, I could do it but I can not put links in yet as I've registered just a couple of days ago :)
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Hello dwaine, and excellent work and effort on these new government types!
ORIGINAL: dwaine
Note :
- Permission is granted to use this for whatever you want, a post here to keep me informed would be welcome.

As per your statement quoted above, I would like to formally request/inform you that I would like to use a few of your government types (files) for inclusion with our Star Trek The Picard Era mod. Credit will be given accordingly and I plan to also author and associate a Galactopedia entry for the ones I select to use, which I shall provide to you at request when completed. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions or concerns.
In addition, I'll ask Elliot when he returns if he is willing to increase the number restrictions cap on governments for the next update.

Again, excellent work dwaine! [:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: Sindri

Hi, it seems pretty easy to add this to the DW Extended mod, I could do it but I can not put links in yet as I've registered just a couple of days ago :)

Did you ever accomplish this? I tried but my game would crash...
Jaeger5

Post by Jaeger5 »

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

At least these governments are already in the game under different names... Monarchy IS Absolute Monarchy. Another thing is that religious governments probably should have a positive income. The masses would be likely to give most if not ALL of their money in support of the church without a single complaint about the tax levels. No one complains about giving more money to the Catholic church despite the fact that they have a bank account with ALOT of money in it already.

Also, War Weariness would be lower due to a sense of entitlement to forcibly spread their religion universally. Corruption would likely increase if we use the Catholic Church as an example. Troop recruitment would increase with the drop in War Weariness.

Not necessarily, be fruitful and multiply. People of the Islam religion also have lots of kiddies. Central America Catholics - lots of kiddies. Religious does not equal prudishness. Probably it's more inverse - whole lot of other fun things to do keeps one from having sexy time. Nothing to do - want to have sex, sure.
Emp_Palpatine

Post by Emp_Palpatine »

No news? [:)]
I am the Senate!

Return to “Design and Modding”