Fury is a Sherman?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

radic202

RE: Fury is a Sherman?

Post by radic202 »

Is this another one of those American War Film that claims or makes everyone (non-historically savvy) believe that the Yanks won the WW2 European Front all by themselves (and no insult intended to my American Friends in here)? Private Ryan as good as it was and all the terrain that was covered not once had them bump into any other nation on the entire Normandy Coast? Anyhow I love a good War movie but I love them to be realistic as well, I especially love a great tank war movie as they are few and far between.
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: radic202

Is this another one of those American War Film that claims or makes everyone (non-historically savvy) believe that the Yanks won the WW2 European Front all by themselves (and no insult intended to my American Friends in here)? Private Ryan as good as it was and all the terrain that was covered not once had them bump into any other nation on the entire Normandy Coast? Anyhow I love a good War movie but I love them to be realistic as well, I especially love a great tank war movie as they are few and far between.

There are no Canadian or British troops in the film. (Spoiler alert!) There is a tank battle, though I have some issues with it.

I'm stumped as to why you think there should have been Canadian or British troops in Saving Private Ryan? The "terrain covered" was Omaha Beach and the US airborne drop zones.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
radic202

Post by radic202 »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

There are no Canadian or British troops in the film. (Spoiler alert!) There is a tank battle, though I have some issues with it.

I'm stumped as to why you think there should have been Canadian or British troops in Saving Private Ryan? The "terrain covered" was Omaha Beach and the US airborne drop zones.

Hey my friend, this is all in friendly meaning here, I was not expecting British or Canadian troops in Saving Private Ryan, the fact is that there were tons of of other nations involved in D-Day that you would have thought that with all the trekking they did in Normandy that they would have bumped into other troops from other nations. Paratroopers were miss dropped in plenty of places is all I am saying. The fact that I mention that is that I overheard one of my daughter's fiancees friend mention that he had no idea that other countries were involved in WW2 in France besides the Yanks! Now I went WTF did I just hear? His simple answer was that he never has seen WW2 films with anyone else in them but Americans? He knew about Canadians in Juno Beach but thought it stopped there. I blame that more on his lack of education or our school system or the fact that he just watches films and makes no effort to learn more.

But back to Tank films, I can't watch this in a movie theater as I am hearing impaired now and without subtitles all I will hear is the 'bang" of the guns but not the spoken words, so need to wait until a blu-ray comes out with subtitles. Just we have not had enough Tank films out in many years, so looking forward to seeing this.

The word on the Net is that Shia LaBeouf gets his eye or head shot off or something like that, drove of peeps are raving about that! I am more incline to see Logan Lerhman as I think he has great potential.

And thanks (or tanks) for keeping it spoiler free for me.

All the best!
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
Richie61

Post by Richie61 »

Patrick,

Not sure. I found it years ago on Google image search. Think it was a Waffen SS wallpaper I clipped the image
out of. Thought is was cool with a German squad leader with a PPh [:)]
Ed, that is an awesome avatar you have, Waffen SS right? Is that a period photo? [&:]

Patrick
To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

decaro

Post by decaro »

I just saw it. It's good on many levels. But I found the story a bit improbable.

The ad about a lone, lame tank defending an uncovered position certainly was improbable, but a number of members of the 2nd Armored Div. Ass. attended a premier and were pleased with the flic.

However, on IMDb I thought I saw a 2AD patch on Pitt's left shoulder, even though we wore them on the left pocket over our hearts as prescribed by Patton who trained the division and gave it its nickname.

Did anyone else notice this faux pas, or was the publicity photo's negative reversed?
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Richie61

Post by Richie61 »

Quick search shows them like the movie.

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Richie61

Quick search shows them like the movie ...

Thanks. Apparently the 2AD patch has had more than its share of changes, including the addition, removal and then reintroduction of the "Hell on Wheels" flash at the bottom of the triangle.

from wiki:

"2nd Armored division patch. Uniquely among U.S. Army units, this patch was worn over the left chest pocket of the fatigue and camouflage uniforms rather than on the sleeve. It was worn in the traditional sleeve position on the dress uniform."

Unfortunately the article has "multiple issues," but here are some posts with photos -- including one of Patton -- with the patch centered on the left breast pocket.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... -on-chest/

Apparently when Patton commanded 2AD at Benning at the beginning of the war, he required everyone in the division to wear the 2AD triangle on their left breast over their heart, but that may have only lasted under his command as Patton pretty much did as he wished.

Another poster claimed tank battalions wore the triangle over their tanker's overall's pocket to show they weren't infantry.
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

I just saw it. It's good on many levels. But I found the story a bit improbable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy

The real drawback to fiction is that fiction has to be probable.
Richie61

Post by Richie61 »

I was going to same the same thing, but figured it wasn't worth it. I thought the end battle could have been as the movie showed it.

Plus this is cool [:)]
"Audie's Medal of Honor event location"
http://www.audiemurphy.com/holtzwihr3.htm

Sun Tzu

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Is the film as good as Pearl Harbor?

Shaddup! [:@]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Private Ryan as good as it was and all the terrain that was covered not once had them bump into any other nation on the entire Normandy Coast?

Sure they did. They bumped into Germans, Austrians, and probably some Ost troops from a variety of Eastern European countries.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Private Ryan as good as it was and all the terrain that was covered not once had them bump into any other nation on the entire Normandy Coast?

Sure they did. They bumped into Germans, Austrians, and probably some Ost troops from a variety of Eastern European countries.
warspite1

Or this guy, Yang Kyoungjong, who had fought in WWII for the IJN, the Red Army and the Wehrmacht before being taken prisoner by the Americans in Normandy. Incredible.

Attachments
Korean Yan..ehrmacht.jpg
Korean Yan..ehrmacht.jpg (521.22 KiB) Viewed 367 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

Probably provided some raw material. This area was adjacent to where 2nd Armoured operated.
http://106thinfantry.webs.com/parkerscrossroads.htm

I hope it is better than U-571. That movie ranks up there with that other one
about Kate Beckinsale boning some Americans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-571
Note the lack of Bon Jovi in the article about the German sub.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

Well, I find the Audie Murphy story a bit improbable as well. But, if you flip a coin a million times it will eventually land on its edge. It still remains improbable. But I thought the movie ending even more improbable. I'm in the process of watching my copy of "The Pacific". At least the Banzai charges in it were historical - the movie ending looked a bit too similar. I had some issues with the tank battle as well.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense" -- Tom Clancy.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Just saw "Fury". Those of you still cringing from TMTSNBN, "Wind Talkers" and a number of other rubbish movies of the recent past can relax. It's a good to very good movie.

There were a number of improbable, yet plausible events in the movie. The nitpicking should not stop you from seeing the movie, IMHO.
Citizen Emperor

Post by Citizen Emperor »

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN as good as it was and all the terrain that was covered not once had them bump into any other nation on the entire Normandy Coast? ...
I wish that instead of a U.S. P-51 Mustang taking out the Tiger near the end of the movie, it had been an RAF Typhoon.

That's all Spielberg needed to do, really.
"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Citizen Emperor

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN as good as it was and all the terrain that was covered not once had them bump into any other nation on the entire Normandy Coast? ...
I wish that instead of a U.S. P-51 Mustang taking out the Tiger near the end of the movie, it had been an RAF Typhoon ...

Or a P-47 Thunderbolt; it was a tough bird to take down even at low altitudes.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

Just saw it. I have mixed feelings, but it's certainly worth seeing once.

Pros: I think this movie captured the brutal ugliness of war as well as any film ever has. I actually found myself questioning the enjoyment I derive from wargames. Not that I will stop playing them, but it certainly gives one something to think about. Good-to-great acting all around, music was well done, and I thought the credits at the end were very well done and captured the vibe.

Cons (SPOILERS): Various grognard nitpicking and Hollywood cliches aside, the cartoonish finale really pulled me out of what the movie had established leading up to it. Having the trained and well-armed SS battalion run around willy-nilly in the dark for twenty minutes was just dumb. I mean, the German soldiers literally just ran about left and right, even ones that were already behind the tank would happily run back around in front of it to die.
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

... Having the trained and well-armed SS battalion run around willy-nilly in the dark for twenty minutes was just dumb. I mean, the German soldiers literally just ran about left and right, even ones that were already behind the tank would happily run back around in front of it to die.

No panzerfausts or panzerschrecks?
Stereotypical Hollywood; the SS might just as well be wearing war paint.

Return to “General Discussion”