Popup and Masking

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

istari6

Popup and Masking

Post by istari6 »

One other question about using OH/AH "pink teams" after playing Third Herd.

(Apologies if this has been answered already, but a search of threads turned up blank)

How should we positioning helicopters relative to the terrain to use their "Popup and Masking" capability? When I flew my OH-58s and AH-64s behind a treeline, they can't see anything. Yet when I fly them OVER the forest, they were engaged again and again by distant SA-11s 4+ km away, costing me several OH-58s.

I'm trying to maneuver them as I would in a simulation, moving behind the forests and ridgelines for cover, then positioning so they can popup briefly and engage and drop if fired on. I don't want my OH-58s just floating over the forest, being a big target for every Soviet AD system for kilometers around :).

How should I be manuevering helicopters with the "Popup and Masking capability" to best preserve them while still maximizing spotting?

Thanks!
CapnDarwin

RE: Popup and Masking

Post by CapnDarwin »

The pop up and masking is done automatically when units are in a screen or hold posture. If the unit is behind a large group of trees or a wide hill, they are not going to see beyond it well. Right now you need to get helos to a location they can spot the enemy. They will "defend" themselves in the hex.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
istari6

Post by istari6 »

OK thanks. Good to know on the Screen/Hold orders. Hope this has been helpful for others too!
SwampYankee68

Post by SwampYankee68 »

It has!
"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”