What is a good way to learn this game?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

vaalen

What is a good way to learn this game?

Post by vaalen »

I am a very experienced wargamer, but I have never played Harpoon, in any of its versions, and I am finding this fascinating game difficult to learn and get into.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
dandin384

RE: What is a good way to learn this game?

Post by dandin384 »

Here are some good places to start;

The mega FAQ is a great resource and covers important aspects of the game.
http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=2920

Another good place is Baloogan's youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2F5VV ... CxoUppJoWA

There are a ton of helpful people in the unofficial official command chat room who know a lot about the game and are happy to answer questions you have as you play through.
https://jabbr.net/#/rooms/baloogan

A general tip is to play in the editor mode and read up on the database entries. You can take a look at the behind the scenes of pre-built scenarios this way as well and see how other people do things.

Good luck and good hunting!
HowieWowie

Post by HowieWowie »

I'm a new player and I would suggest that you watch some of the videos online, Baloogan in particular. Watch these and then play through the tutorials. I did them a couple of times trying different tactics each time. I think you'll find that you'll quickly start to get a sense of things work. It gets very addicting!! I then played a couple of low complexity scenarios. I didn't do well at first but replayed so and got a better outcome. You'll learn a lot this way.
vaalen

Post by vaalen »

Thank you for the suggestions! I will follow them, as this game certainly seems worth the effort.
LoBlo

Post by LoBlo »

I used the Baloogan's youtube video myself as dandin suggested above.

Creating simple scenarios to understand all the factors involved in playing through a scenario helps as well (firing, EMCON, detection, mission planning, etc).

Of course there is also the old fashion way of playing and getting your butt handed to you over and over again, which is the method I've adopted now...
JSF

Post by JSF »

ORIGINAL: vaalen

Thank you for the suggestions! I will follow them, as this game certainly seems worth the effort.

It really is. I´ve played Harpoon from V 1.3 for DOS up to the last version, Harpoon 3 ANW V 3.11.

Bought Command when it came out, but started really playing it a few months ago.

Tried my first scenario, Maria y Victoria, at least a dozen times until I finally won it. Learnt a lot about the sim this way.

Currently I play another small one, Stand Up. While Maria y Victoria is sub vs ships, Stand Up includes (a few) aircraft and thus the next step.

Really enjoying it.

Meanwhile I´ve started writing my first scenario for Command.

In addition to that I dive into Baloogan´s videos.

Take Your time to learn it, You really will be rewarded.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”