Ultimate General:Gettysburg

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

jday305

Ultimate General:Gettysburg

Post by jday305 »

This game on Steam looks promising.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/306660/
RebelYell

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
histgamer

RE: Ultimate General:Gettysburg

Post by histgamer »

ORIGINAL: jday305

This game on Steam looks promising.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/306660/

I did several videos on it, on Youtube if its something you're interested in. The videos are all from the early access stage but the game has really only gotten better since then. It's a solid more abstract wargame, a tad heavy on the click fest at times, if Scourge of War gets you into the ultra detail and realism Ultimate General takes a more high level look thats more traditional RTS style gameplay than the simulation approach Scourge takes. It's a fun beer and pretzels style game.

Initial Impressions

Confederate Let's Play Series

Union Let's Play Series
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Can you play the whole battle or is it just a pack of scenarios?
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

It's a pack of linked scenarios that cover the whole battle, some scenarios get rather large but there is no 1 scenario that covers all 3 days. There is a single scenario that covers the entire echelon attack on the Union left, that would probably be the largest.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

It's a pack of linked scenarios that cover the whole battle, some scenarios get rather large but there is no 1 scenario that covers all 3 days. There is a single scenario that covers the entire echelon attack on the Union left, that would probably be the largest.

Thanks.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

I've got it in my wishlist, another way of tracking/following a game. It does look good! [8D]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
gexmex

Post by gexmex »

Outstanding game, can't recommend it enough. It's extremely accessible and easy to get into (can't get much easier to move units than left clicking on it and dragging where you want it to go), and while I know graphics matter little to myself and most people on this forum, the artwork is beautiful. Hand's down one of the best battle maps you'll come by. UG:G gotten consistently better throughout early access, and gets good support from it's developer. While it's not as in-depth as Scourge, it is incredibly addictive and surprisingly deep once you really dive in.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: gexmex

Outstanding game, can't recommend it enough. It's extremely accessible and easy to get into (can't get much easier to move units than left clicking on it and dragging where you want it to go), and while I know graphics matter little to myself and most people on this forum, the artwork is beautiful. Hand's down one of the best battle maps you'll come by. UG:G gotten consistently better throughout early access, and gets good support from it's developer. While it's not as in-depth as Scourge, it is incredibly addictive and surprisingly deep once you really dive in.

I'm getting closer! [;)]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I swear it just looks like Sid Meier's Gettysburg on graphics steroids. The areas of battle of course look the same. I'd say though if you want a really good real time game of Gettysburg though that the Norbsoft game of Gettysburg:Scourge of War is the way to go. Just can't beat the multiplayer fun of that game online. I love the courier system it uses to send orders or requests.
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

They're very different games, ultimate unit scale is at the brigade level unlike Scourge which uses reugmental, the maps are also vastly different as ultimate is much more birds eye and a smaller map but they are both masterpieces in their own right. Ultimate is targeting an iPad release eventually also supossidly.
ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

I swear it just looks like Sid Meier's Gettysburg on graphics steroids. The areas of battle of course look the same. I'd say though if you want a really good real time game of Gettysburg though that the Norbsoft game of Gettysburg:Scourge of War is the way to go. Just can't beat the multiplayer fun of that game online. I love the courier system it uses to send orders or requests.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

They're very different games, ultimate unit scale is at the brigade level unlike Scourge which uses reugmental, the maps are also vastly different as ultimate is much more birds eye and a smaller map but they are both masterpieces in their own right. Ultimate is targeting an iPad release eventually also supossidly.
ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Rather play norbsoft's version. Does UG have couriers? A full blown message system all the way from army commander level down to one single detachment level? It's cute n all but I've seen the graphics and they are too small for my old eyes.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Love it. An excellent wargame and well worth owning. Looks good and plays great..also def not a clickfest!! Not sure how well though it recreates war of this period as I'm not well versed in it..but still great fun.

Return to “General Discussion”