Mouse Cursor Delay?

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
NefariousKoel

Mouse Cursor Delay?

Post by NefariousKoel »

Why is there a mouse cursor delay? That stuff drives me nuts. This isn't a console game!
IainMcNeil

RE: Mouse Cursor Delay?

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi Neafrious - sorry you are having problems but I'm not sure what you mean? There is no delay on the mouse cursor. There is only a PC version, no console version.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
DerGrenadier

Post by DerGrenadier »

Iam having no issue with mouse lag. Works as it should.
[center]Image
[center]

NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

Dunno.. the mouse cursor acts like it does when there's a delay set in a game engine.

I believe it's usually called "Mouse Smoothing" or "Cursor Smoothing".

IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Can you check it is not a setting on your graphics card that is confusing things? Tech support can probably help dig deeper as its not my specialty!
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

Dunno.. the mouse cursor acts like it does when there's a delay set in a game engine.

I believe it's usually called "Mouse Smoothing" or "Cursor Smoothing".

Please check if you experience the same issue when you play in windowed mode and a lower resolution than your desktop.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I'm not experiencing that, so it must be your particular configuration. Hope they can help you straighten it out, because it's an excellent game.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

It does it for me too. The mouse in game is a little more laggy than the standard Windows mouse. It is definitely noticeable, not a game killer, but it is annoying.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit, with Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 with the latest Nvidia drivers.

rbodleyscott

Post by rbodleyscott »

ORIGINAL: jglazier

It does it for me too. The mouse in game is a little more laggy than the standard Windows mouse. It is definitely noticeable, not a game killer, but it is annoying.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit, with Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 with the latest Nvidia drivers.

Are you playing with the Unit List open all the time, or with Detailed Tooltips toggled on? These involve a lot of processing and might cause performance issues on some machines, which would manifest itself as mouse lag.

Note that it is not necessary to have Detailed Tooltips toggled on all the time to see the detailed tooltips. You can instead hold down the CTRL key while mousing over the target whenever you want to see them.
stuart3

Post by stuart3 »

I'm not sure whether this is what you are referring to, but each unit moves relatively slowly from square to square during it's movement, allowing enemy units the chance to react as it enters each one. If that happens then the unit pauses there and you have the chance to (re)consider what you want it to do in response rather than have it blindly continue as if nothing had happened. That could be to interrupt it's turn, let other units move in response to the threat, and then continue it's move when you have seen the outcome. The game does not allow you to click on another unit until the current one has completed it's existing orders.

I do find that this does sometimes lead to a situation in the first couple of turns of a game when I tend to be in autopilot mode. It is a phase that involves nothing more than just moving units up to the front and then nothing happens when I try to click on the next unit because the current one is still moving and there is no cache to queue movement.

It's probably unavoidable and only a minor irritation.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

I do not have the unit list open, but I do have detailed tooltips toggled on. However, the mouse lag is noticeable right away at the main menu screen, even before getting into a game. It is laggy on every game screen, scenario selection, troop selection, multiplayer lobbies, etc.

It is the same with BA2, so it must be an inherent issue with the game engine. Again, it's not too bad, just annoying that it is not as responsive as the Windows mouse.
rbodleyscott

Post by rbodleyscott »

ORIGINAL: jglazier

I do not have the unit list open, but I do have detailed tooltips toggled on. However, the mouse lag is noticeable right away at the main menu screen, even before getting into a game. It is laggy on every game screen, scenario selection, troop selection, multiplayer lobbies, etc.

It is the same with BA2, so it must be an inherent issue with the game engine. Again, it's not too bad, just annoying that it is not as responsive as the Windows mouse.

I will make sure that the engine team are made aware of this.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Guys, have you tried in windowed mode and a lower resolution than your desktop, like I have suggested?
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Thank you VPaulus. This does indeed fix the mouse lag problem. However, the windowed mode is not really a windowed mode. It fixes the game screen to the top left of my screen, in a smaller window than full screen. And, I cannot move the game window. I should be able to move the game window.

I have never played a game in windowed mode that does not let me move the game window.

So, why does the game in full screen cause the mouse to lag? Can't this be fixed? I like playing in full screen, but will definitely play in windowed mode, if the game window can be moved, and not fixed to the upper left like it currently is.
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

Yeah I also get the problem. It happens because of v-sync with some game engines.

I have an Nvidia card and forcing it off through the Nvidia Control Panel makes the problem go away, however, that introduces screen tearing.

Edit: I just tried it in Windowed mode at my desktop resolution and that seems to solve both issues. The game window is borderless and takes up the entire screen, the mouse is responsive again, and so far I haven't noticed any screen tearing.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: JiminyJickers

Yeah I also get the problem. It happens because of v-sync with some game engines.

I have an Nvidia card and forcing it off through the Nvidia Control Panel makes the problem go away, however, that introduces screen tearing.

Edit: I just tried it in Windowed mode at my desktop resolution and that seems to solve both issues. The game window is borderless and takes up the entire screen, the mouse is responsive again, and so far I haven't noticed any screen tearing.
That's what I was thinking, Jimmy, the issue could be related with the v-synch.
When you enable v-synch in the card settings you usually fixed the tearing issues, however it can induce some mouse lag in full screen modes. It's usually more noticeable on slower systems, but it can vary.
rbodleyscott

Post by rbodleyscott »

I received this post from the engine guru Pip.
ORIGINAL: PipfromSlitherine
Its a driver issue. He needs to change a setting in his vid card control. It is buffering too many frames before rendering them. It is a way to cheat on benchmarks...

If tech support has not already explained the soln i will walk him through it on monday. That said, running in windowed mode might fix it too
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

ORIGINAL: rbodleyscott

Its a driver issue. He needs to change a setting in his vid card control. It is buffering too many frames before rendering them. It is a way to cheat on benchmarks...

If tech support has not already explained the soln i will walk him through it on monday. That said, running in windowed mode might fix it too

I would love to know how to change this in the Video Card Control panel. It affects a few games and if there is a permanent solution, it would be great.

However, if he is talking about the Maximum Pre-rendered Frame setting, that doesn't make a difference for me.

FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

ORIGINAL: rbodleyscott

I would also love to hear Pip's solution.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

In case of ATI graphic cards, we had to use an external program for adding more setup functions, like ATI Tray tools or RadeonPro. With Nividia cards, there's this setting, Maximum Pre-rendered Frame, that is the function that Pip I think his referring to.
Some games also permit to tweak the maximum number of frames ahead, but these are rare.
Unless Pip is referring to Triple buffering...

Return to “Tech Support”