Well the proverbial $64 question has to be asked??

In the age of Pike and Shot, mighty struggles erupted across Europe for causes religious, political or dynastic. The Thirty Years War raged across Germany and beyond, leaving devastation in its wake, but saw the rise of great commanders such as Count Tilly, Wallenstein and King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, and rapid developments in battlefield tactics.
aaatoysandmore

Well the proverbial $64 question has to be asked??

Post by aaatoysandmore »

How is the AI? Be truthful now don't be a fanboy. I wanna hear the good and bad. Ever since Field of Glory I have been very skeptical about AI's.
Erik Rutins

RE: Well the proverbial $64 question has to be asked??

Post by Erik Rutins »

The AI, in my experience, is VERY good.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

It kicks my bum on medium. I haven't seen it do anything stupid yet. So far so good.
Javolenus

Post by Javolenus »

So far so good -- on single-player v. AI, I win some, lose some. Haven't seen the AI do anything stupid. My own mistakes get punished ...
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Very good AI as far as I'm concerned.
jack54

Post by jack54 »

Seems very good to me so far, but I am not a strong player. I've lost my last 4 skirmishes at level 2. It seems to have a better grasp of 'rock, paper, scissor' type decisions, ( i.e. which unit to use when ect.), than I do.

I like that it is 'active', while on defense, with it's infantry behind fortifications, it sent it's mounted units out to attack my flanking cavalry.

A word of caution that is semi AI related;

The AI will take control of your units if they rout an enemy unit, sending them in pursuit. They can end up going off map or getting themselves way out of position. I like this feature but some players my not enjoy losing control.
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
vaalen

Post by vaalen »

Awesome. Some of the best I have ever seen. It is so good that I learn from watching what it does. And it gives me a heck of a challenge on medium, I have not had a single easy victory, except in the first tutorial, on easy.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Well you all have just about sold me. I haven't bought a retail release game in a long time but it does sound interesting. The graphics are the only thing holding me back atm. But, I guess one can't have everything.

What's chances of this game engine going "ancient" battles some day? Pike & Shot is nice but I kinda like all the weapons used before things started to get civilized in warfare. Half naked female warriors with scythes is my kinda thang. [:D] I wonder how many guys died to females like that? They forgot to fight! [:'(]
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

In my first full battle game the AI took me to the mat. I had a last second Cavalry charge out of a stand of trees that routed an enemy Cavalry unit and that put me over the top to a Victory.

The AI army retired from the battlefield with 60 something percent routed. My forces were at 58 percent routed.

I think the AI is pretty good and does smart things. Example: Once a gap opened up in my battle line the AI sent two Cavalry units rushing in and took out my only Cannon unit. They had to cover quite a bit of ground to get there but pulled it off. I was taken by surprise as I did not expect the AI to take a shot from that distance.
lee perry

Post by lee perry »

It's indeed a great AI leading to really nice and close battles.
[&o] to the guys who did this !

Return to “Pike & Shot Series”