Research Reloaded - [DWU][WIP][beta soon] New huge research tree, new everything

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

ehsumrell1

RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research tree, new everything...

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: lurchi

So the new patch is out and not only fixed the component #256 bug, but also further raised components and research projects. [:D][:D][:D]

The good news is I can not only add the components I already have dummy settings for, but also some more I have planned as well as the two additional tech levels I mentioned some days ago.

The bad news is that adding more components and projects will take a few more days, so bear with me, it'll be worth it.
I feel you buddy! Getting ready to do the same! [>:]

Here's a little something from the "Trek Team" to help you through these next few lonely nights in the
'modding lab' lurchi!

Attachments
CaseBottl..lanAle1.jpg
CaseBottl..lanAle1.jpg (20.19 KiB) Viewed 216 times
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

Thanks, ehsumrell.

BTW, make an educated guess what one of the new luxury resources I added is. [:D]
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

Thanks, ehsumrell.

BTW, make an educated guess what one of the new luxury resources I added is. [:D]

Tell me you're joking.

Planets with it are going to be turned into balls of incandescence if I see them.

If I ever hear "Romulan ale is illegal in Federation space!" again... oh boy.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Thanks, ehsumrell.

Ahhh....duh... VINTAGE ROMULAN ALE!!!
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: ParagonExile

Thanks, ehsumrell.

Tell me you're joking.

Planets with it are going to be turned into balls of incandescence if I see them.

If I ever hear "Romulan ale is illegal in Federation space!" again... oh boy.

Well its official, I'm going to have to build a new shipyard and cloning facility...just so I can supply the Star Destroyers and Stormtroopers to guard the Romulan Ale factory...built at its uber-secret, hidden location. [:D]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

Cookies! (Now they are real)
(I am OK with Romulan ones)
Alien Immersion (WIP) : tm.asp?m=3651979
Beyond Extended Universe (WIP): tm.asp?m=3657646
Kizucha

Post by Kizucha »

Cookies?! Where?! Give em to me or i'll bite you!

I'm happy to hear that the mod is near to be ready for testing, yay! After a long time, i can play the game again with a research mod.
Tikigit

Post by Tikigit »

Been following this mod project for some months now and really does look to be shaping up great.

Though getting slightly concerned that there's a bit too much 'feature creep' present, rather than focusing on just the original scope and plan and pushing that out, seeing how it fares and then going from there.

Each time a roadblock is fixed by the developers to make the mod possible to get bolted down and rolled out as a beta, instead the scope of the mod then changes to reflect the new boundaries of what the game supports, which then encounters new problems that serve as a roadblocks to moving the mod forward, which then get fixed by the developers of the game, which then causes the scope of the mod to again expand.....

It's great to see such eagerness to push for more, but when it reaches the point of weeks if not months into that loop cycle then it may be a better idea to put two feet on the ground and just push out the current scope and plans into beta for wider exposure and feedback, then go from there.
PsyKoSnake

Post by PsyKoSnake »

If Eric give him the possibility to make a 10 000 researh project he would do it.

Laser, Quantum Laser, Singularity Quantum Laser, Extra Quantum Singularity Laser, Twin Singularity laser, Blue Singularity laser, Radioactive Singularity Twin Extra Laser.

I think I will do a mod for laser, 1000 Laser project ;)

Damn I will need more type of visual effect! Cannot go on with the project...

Youhou patch 2.0 add 1500 visual effect but only 1200 researh project. :P

Add to my wishlist: I want the possibility to have more researh project.

1 month later.

Patch 2.1 Youhou 1500 reasearch project.
Noooo! I had plan for 2000 Research. And now I need 700 component.

4 Years Later.

Somone ask in the forum:
Will you finish the Laser mod project soon?

YEah YEah! I only need to balance the 4500 new laser and make the design for the 250 new race I have added to the mod. Almost done! 1-2 week!

Noooooooo! Distant world 2 is release in 1 week!

========================================================================================================================

HeHe, could not pass this occasion ;)
bugbear777

Post by bugbear777 »

ORIGINAL: PsyKoSnake

If Eric give him the possibility to make a 10 000 researh project he would do it.

Laser, Quantum Laser, Singularity Quantum Laser, Extra Quantum Singularity Laser, Twin Singularity laser, Blue Singularity laser, Radioactive Singularity Twin Extra Laser.

1 month later.

4 Years Later.

Somone ask in the forum:

YEah YEah! I only need to balance the 4500 new laser and make the design for the 250 new race I have added to the mod. Almost done! 1-2 week!

========================================================================================================================

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Kizucha

Post by Kizucha »

We will neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeveeeeeeeeeer get the mod nooooo~~~!![:D]
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

1 month later.

4 Years Later.

Somone ask in the forum:

===============================================

You know the mod roadmap? You even know about the ultra secret Radioactive Singularity Twin Extra Laser! How?

K, now for something completely different. Sorry to inform you, I did not work on the mod the last few days. I had no time at all. [:(]

Alas, this changes now. [:)]

No, there will be no new features that I can't add now. That's why I threw out the elaborate drug system I came up with. A pity, really. I had 4 kinds of drugs, each with unique effects on all races, some positive, some negative. Like one raising troop strength but also lowering production. Oh well...

To make up for it I fell back to my contingency plan and added four new kinds of booze (well, one is non alcoholic) instead of the drugs, so there'll be lot's of drunks instead of potheads. [:'(]

In addition to Romulan Ale there are now also Vurguzz, Ambrosia, Slurm and the PanGalactic GargleBlaster. [:D]

I absolutely have to add a whole bunch of new components, though. I just can't waste the opportunity. Dunno right now how much it'll be, but expect maybe 400. In a week, max two, I'll release the first beta.
PsyKoSnake

Post by PsyKoSnake »

Radioactive Singularity Twin Extra Laser

Watch out!

Copyrited

;)
Tikigit

Post by Tikigit »

1 month later.

4 Years Later.

Somone ask in the forum:

===============================================

You know the mod roadmap? You even know about the ultra secret Radioactive Singularity Twin Extra Laser! How?

K, now for something completely different. Sorry to inform you, I did not work on the mod the last few days. I had no time at all. [:(]

Alas, this changes now. [:)]

No, there will be no new features that I can't add now. That's why I threw out the elaborate drug system I came up with. A pity, really. I had 4 kinds of drugs, each with unique effects on all races, some positive, some negative. Like one raising troop strength but also lowering production. Oh well...

To make up for it I fell back to my contingency plan and added four new kinds of booze (well, one is non alcoholic) instead of the drugs, so there'll be lot's of drunks instead of potheads. [:'(]

In addition to Romulan Ale there are now also Vurguzz, Ambrosia, Slurm and the PanGalactic GargleBlaster. [:D]

I absolutely have to add a whole bunch of new components, though. I just can't waste the opportunity. Dunno right now how much it'll be, but expect maybe 400. In a week, max two, I'll release the first beta.

*sigh*

And the cycle continues.

Look forward to seeing the mod sometime next year then I guess. [;)]
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

I warn you again or resource distribution and impact on trade/balance/galactic economy. More you add more extreme balancing , tweaking will be needed. I advise you to try this car before you ride it. :)
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Hey lurchi, time to stop any more scope growth, focus on making what you've already done awesome. Once the tech tree is final I can start playing to figure out good Research Orders for the AI. We can always tweak damages/ranges/settings later for balancing but I need a final tech tree and a Beta to even make a start. Beyond Earth has just been released so no rush as I'll be busy playing that for the moment but not too long please!

Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

I agree. Better to make it playable now, and add things later. This will be very effecient for both mod alone, and megamod.
Shogouki

Post by Shogouki »

I would definitely be grateful as well if you could get a test version out before doing anymore non-essential additions to the mod. Your mod along with Icemania's AI mod are what I'm waiting for before starting a new DW game as I don't really want a megamod but just new techs, components, facilities and such.

Not that I want to sound like I'm telling you what to do with your mod, I'm just really anxious for these features, and greatly appreciate your hard work!
Joshwoo69

Post by Joshwoo69 »

Beta is out!
BUG FIXES
- fixed bug where games would not start when more than 256 components defined
- ensure characters with random appearance order now work properly, even when many custom characters defined and many random appearance orders used
- ensure Shakturi always properly use custom design templates when available

SHIP DESIGN
- added new flee when setting: Armor 50% or Shields 20% (also supported in design template files: use setting Armor50 for optional FleeWhen)

MODDING
- increased maximum number of research projects from 1000 to 1500
- increased maximum number of components from 300 to 500
Wile false do
Turtle.print ( KSP )
End
Falokis

Post by Falokis »

WinRAR says the downloaded file is corrupt :(

Is this just me?

Return to “Design and Modding”