I am impressed

In the age of Pike and Shot, mighty struggles erupted across Europe for causes religious, political or dynastic. The Thirty Years War raged across Germany and beyond, leaving devastation in its wake, but saw the rise of great commanders such as Count Tilly, Wallenstein and King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, and rapid developments in battlefield tactics.
vaalen

I am impressed

Post by vaalen »

This game has a lot more detail than its predecessor series, yet is very playable. AI is good so far, and I have actually enjoyed the tutorial battles.There is a real difference between the various troop types,you can easily lose control of your troops as they pursue a fleeing enemy,maneuver is crucial yet difficult to pull off, and the AI gave me a hard game in the second tutorial.

There are some innovative mechanics that help the feel of the era, like having Swedish cavalry who are trained to fire their pistols as part of a charge, adding to the shock effect, close range salvo fire as part of melee, Tercios that cannot be flanked, are formidable in melee, yet have weak firepower, and so much more.

And it has three campaigns of ten battles each, covering the Thirty years war, the Italian wars between the French and Spanish, and the English Civil war.

Not too much fanfare on this one, but I think it is a hidden gem.
Hrothgar

RE: I am impressed

Post by Hrothgar »

I agree. It's an excellent game. I had a lot of fun playtesting it, and am looking forward to more opponents trying multiplayer, now that it's been released. However, the AI is certainly challenging in solo play.
berto

Post by berto »

Is the gameplay deeper than FoG? Or is this much the same (albeit with better graphics)?

Typically how long does a battle last (real time, not turns)?
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Glad to hear you are enjoying it - I agree it is an excellent game and I expect it to be a hit with wargamers.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
rbodleyscott

Post by rbodleyscott »

If you play a medium skirmish up to an hour. Some of the very large historical scenarios might take 2 hours.
jack54

Post by jack54 »

I'll add that the unit detail screens are well done with plenty of info and strategy tips for players 'New to the era'...like me..[:)]
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
vaalen

Post by vaalen »

ORIGINAL: berto

Is the gameplay deeper than FoG? Or is this much the same (albeit with better graphics)?

The gameplay is much deeper than FOG, and the computer takes many more factors into account.

Because this is one of my favorite periods, I almost did not buy the game because I thought it would be too simple. I was totally wrong, and it is really engaging.I really have to make an effort to beat the AI, I have lost, and most games have been very close. And I could set the AI to higher difficulty levels.

I have only played smaller battles so far, and they have taken about an hour. I expect they will take less once I have more experience with the system.
vaalen

Post by vaalen »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Glad to hear you are enjoying it - I agree it is an excellent game and I expect it to be a hit with wargamers.

Eric, I wish you great success with this game, as it deserves to be bought and played.

I hope we can see an expansion to cover the Polish deluge of the seventeenth century, and can see winged Husaaria contending with Cossacks,Swedes, and Turks.

finally, I think is important for potential buyers to understand that this game is not an Expansion of FOG, but is a much deeper game,though it still is easy to play, though not to win.
rbodleyscott

Post by rbodleyscott »

ORIGINAL: vaalen
I hope we can see an expansion to cover the Polish deluge of the seventeenth century, and can see winged Husaaria contending with Cossacks,Swedes, and Turks.

There aren't any historical scenarios for the Swedish-Polish wars yet (although they are planned) but you can already pit Polish winged Hussaria against Swedes or Turks in Skirmish mode.
tinfig

Post by tinfig »

Does the game include any sort of simulation of command and control? I recall Field of Glory PC having a very rudimentary leader system, and it was far better than having nothing.
vaalen

Post by vaalen »

ORIGINAL: rbodleyscott
ORIGINAL: vaalen

There aren't any historical scenarios for the Swedish-Polish wars yet (although they are planned) but you can already pit Polish winged Hussaria against Swedes or Turks in Skirmish mode.
Thank you so much, rbodleyscott, this is great to know!
rbodleyscott

Post by rbodleyscott »

ORIGINAL: tinfig

Does the game include any sort of simulation of command and control? I recall Field of Glory PC having a very rudimentary leader system, and it was far better than having nothing.

The game does not include separately represented generals, but there are significant restrictions on what units can do each turn, and units are not always under control - e.g. Pursuing units cannot be controlled and may even pursue off the map. (There is a small chance each subsequent turn that they will return). Moreover breaks off, evades etc. are not under player control but are decided by the AI acting as the individual unit commander.

In some of the historical scenarios whole sections of the army may under AI control for all or part of the game.

jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: rbodleyscott

... and units are not always under control - e.g. Pursuing units cannot be controlled and may even pursue off the map. (There is a small chance each subsequent turn that they will return).

Without question my favorite part of the game so far. Units will chase routed enemies, you have 'No' control while they are in pursuit, a few turns later you may get control back and they are totally out of position and have possibly gotten themselves into considerable trouble.
As the battle progresses more and more units start to rout and it can get quite chaotic.
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
sfbaytf

Post by sfbaytf »

This actually looks good and I may have to download tonight. I loved the old Cossacks game and spent hours playing h2h with a friend.

Too bad its not made for Macs since my friend now has a powerbook.
Marder

Post by Marder »

My time for gaming is limited. You can save during battle?
rbodleyscott

Post by rbodleyscott »

ORIGINAL: Marder2075

My time for gaming is limited. You can save during battle?

Yes
Marder

Post by Marder »

Think i will buy it tomorrow. Thanks for the answer.
Another question: You can redeem your slitherine/matrix key to a steam key?
I like to have the games in my matrix- acc, too.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Yes, you get a Steam key if you buy from Matrix or Slitherine.
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

The Cannon ripple fire...

Sequentially...

Wow... that's so cool.

I bought the game after I saw that in the Video.

Who can resist ripple fire batteries?

FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

OZ, I'm glad you found your way to the Matrix forums. You are a beacon of brightness in the morass of hate and disdain on the Steam wargame forums.

Welcome!

Return to “Pike & Shot Series”