A Funny thnk happened on the way.....

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JeffroK

A Funny thnk happened on the way.....

Post by JeffroK »

Just enjoying playing Scen 8 against that boring old AI, Early April 1942 and its been interesting. April is a major upgrade time so given damage and the need to upgrade most of the USN CA's are repairing. I also had no operational BB at Pearl Harbor.

You get a bit blaze about the continual reports of "9 Japanese ships spotted at....." when its really a single IJN sub poking around Pearl.

However:(11 April 1942)
Night Time Surface Combat, near Pearl Harbor at 180,107, Range 5,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna
CL Tenryu
DD Karukaya
DD Yugao
DD Tatsuyuke
DD Uruyuke

Allied Ships
AO Neosho, Shell hits 16, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
PC Tiger
PC Reliance, Shell hits 4, and is sunk
PC Taney, Shell hits 2, on fire

This is the PH Hex!!!!!!!!

I had seen them the day before and sent off a few DD Squadrons which chipped at the paint and used up ammo, plus 3 seperate TF's with CV's who didnt fly off a single sortie!!! My PH base LBA (about 100 LB) didnt fly and only a Vindicator Sqn on Hawaii flew (and managed a few hits)

I'll have to keep on my toes a bit more n case AndyMac has hidden a few more surprises.[&o]
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
HansBolter

RE: A Funny thnk happened on the way.....

Post by HansBolter »

It's pretty common for the AI to send surface combat TFs toward Pearl without air cover.

I often have to stand down my LBA and move my carriers away to avoid trashing the AI so heavily it breaks.

I do everything I can to avoid having to sink these TFs, but sometimes they make it necessary.

I have seen them attempt to get at the shipping lines behind Pearl and then I have no choice but to go after them.

Steaming into Pearl to shoot up TFs in the port would also be an action that necessitates sinking them.
Hans

wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

I've wondered about that. Playing AI (first time, late May 1942 for me) I've had some minor scrapes around Midway (including a completely baffling result where an OMAHA and some four pipers held their own against a SAG with an IJN heavy). Having two battleships show up around the French Frigate Shoals had me scratching my head.
Bill Goin
Banzan

Post by Banzan »

My Colorado was send to stop a DD TF coming close to to PH. My first BB vs BB battle in that area ever. First and last one for the Colorado and 2 CAs..., but hey, it was quite a surprise :D
Sending a CVTF to get them after that battle and the Enterprise TF decided to go shooting with them. Only one or to shooting rounds, but its hard to belive how much damage a single 8" critical hit can cause to a CV...(not to menton the following fire).

But yes, the new scripts added a lot of fun to the game and spoiled a lot of my old "standard opening moves" in an AI game. :)

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”