Basic questions about game

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Warhorse

RE: Basic questions about game

Post by Warhorse »

There is also a Korean War Mod I made, although we are going to do a real game of that after Modern Wars:Middle East, but still, it is fun. Also a sci-fi Mod based off of Harry Turtledoves books about aliens invading during WW2.

Did you used to be into SPWAW a long time ago, I think I remember you, but don't remember your real name?
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

... out of the box the game changed my Win7 theme (first time that's happened!) ...
Your Windows color theme should be restored on game exit.

To prevent this color change in future, check the menu item Options > System Colors, which tells the game to use your Win7 theme default (system) colors.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Warhorse, I don't recall being active in SPWAW, but maybe a long time ago...I did recently pick up SPWWII, but haven't had time to play it much. I use the same "call sign" on all the gaming sites, so you've probably seen me around somewhere...

A couple of questions:

1) Warhorse, in a thread from August, you mention that some major revisions are coming for EF--is that 2.02, or is there something else coming??

2) Any chance of a more zoomed-in 2D view (ala PzC)? I always prefer 2D and the current resolution is a bit tough for me to see...

3) Any good 2D terrain mods, such as madmod for PzC? I saw a thread about it on this forum, but it doesn't sound like it was ever done.

4) Mid-East wars would be a good fit for this game; I've seen some of your dev posts, but is there any comprehensive description about what further changes are coming?
berto

Post by berto »

2) Any chance of a more zoomed-in 2D view (ala PzC)? I always prefer 2D and the current resolution is a bit tough for me to see...
[;)]
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Hey guy,

It would have been a long time ago, for sure, I haven't been very active in WAW for some time now, even though that was my "first love".

Not sure what post you refer to, but the 2dicon project was a biggee, I think it is unofficially included in the Forgotten Battles mod from Petri and myself, mostly Petri! That was where I went through all the oob's for EF/WF, and assigned correct NATO and graphical 2d images for all countrys, they were a mess before, I added over 300 more military symbols than were there out of the box. There is much more in the works, I will see if our programmer can elaborate for you all, they do developer diaries from time to time to let you all know what is going on! Myself, I mostly do graphics for Matrix/Slitherine, but also do mods, and oob research etc., I love DCG's. PBEM is a great thing I just got into a few years ago, solo play is cool too, but PBEM is where it's at.

Not sure of any 2d terrain mods, I would do some, but am very busy helping to develope the new Middle East, Vietnam, and Korean War games we have in the works!!

Hope this helps some?
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

Regarding the Forgotten Battles mod, when I tried to activate it, there was a warning about some files being changed permanently, so I backed off taking a peak. My ability to monkey with computers is limited. What exactly gets changed permanently?

I too would prefer a larger 2d. The above posts make me think it might be worth it to risk permanently changing some of the files.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

A couple of questions:

1) Warhorse, in a thread from August, you mention that some major revisions are coming for EF--is that 2.02, or is there something else coming??

The next UPDATE is due out in 2016, referred to as the 2.10 UPDATE. It will be a significant UPDATE with new features, new data and new scenarios/campaigns.

That's the plan, yes. Hopefully for the 2.10 UPDATE.
3) Any good 2D terrain mods, such as madmod for PzC? I saw a thread about it on this forum, but it doesn't sound like it was ever done.

Not that I am aware of for terrain.
4) Mid-East wars would be a good fit for this game; I've seen some of your dev posts, but is there any comprehensive description about what further changes are coming?

In the works and due out in Q1 2015. We've been working really hard on this. Pretty well everything has been rebuilt from the ground up. New scenarios (~55 so far), new countries, new campaigns, many new features.

It's going to be quite the game when released!

Jason Petho
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Thanks for the responses, sounds great.

So the 2.1 update will apply to both the current game (including EF) and MidEast, or will those features already be baked into MidEast? Also, is there a description anywhere of what will be included in 2.1--is that what is being described in the developer diaries, or is that only about MidEast?
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

For the most part, most things that are going to be released with Middle East, will be included in the Campaign Series.

Maybe not all, but certainly a good portion.

It is good to watch the developer diaries to see what our master programmer is up to. Absolutely brilliant!

Jason Petho
76mm

Post by 76mm »

OK, a few more questions (can't say I didn't warn you...):

1) what is the time scale? I see that hexes are 250m, and units have specific movement rates, so there must be some time scale, but I don't see it anywhere?

2) Is it possible to edit units to reduce their movement and range by 50% (thereby effectively making the hexes 500m)?

Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Time scale was originally 6 minutes per turn, but when you get into the larger scenario's, kindly throw that abstract out the window!!

To make it 500 meters, you would need to change all the movement rates, all the weapons data figures, and change the data in the Main.pdt, then have it encrypted again!

@1925Frank- were you using JSGME to activate it? Nothing gets permanently changed when using that to introduce the mod!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Thanks. I'm slightly confused about all of the different file types involved in modding the game; in this thread (from 2008!) you mention that you have some documentation explaining modding JTCS:
modding info
Do you still have this info (I know its been six years, but...), and if so, could you please send to me at 76mm[at]vervecom[dot]net?
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: 1925frank

Regarding the Forgotten Battles mod, when I tried to activate it, there was a warning about some files being changed permanently, so I backed off taking a peak. My ability to monkey with computers is limited. What exactly gets changed permanently?

I too would prefer a larger 2d. The above posts make me think it might be worth it to risk permanently changing some of the files.

I'd guess this is the JSGME version control feature you were seeing here.

If say you enable Mod1 first, and it changes among other things the German Company01.oob file, and you then enable Mod2 that again would happen to include its own version of Company01.oob, you'd see a warning of the overwrite.

The warning simply means the latest changes will be in effect, so possibly this would be an issue for Mod1 features.

There is no harm as such accepting the overwrite. You'd just need to consider the effects if any.

Also in this example, once you accepted Mod2 to install its files, Mod1 becomes grayed out in the JSGME window, meaning the JSGME interface ensures you first disable Mod2 then Mod1 in this order.

As Mike said, with JSGME there should be no way to make permanent damage, that is why all mods were modified to support it, unlike the old copy-paste method.

To ensure you'd never see this message you'd ever only have one mod enabled at a time. That is an overkill though, I for an example always enable Black F2 Info Boxes together with Alternative Water, then most times also have Forgotten Battles permanently enabled. Then, Scandinavian Terrain for those scenarios, and with all this I am pretty sure there's no overlapping files and thus no warnings.

If you want to understand JSGME better its manual can be found in game's Tools\Jsgme\ folder.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

Time scale was originally 6 minutes per turn, but when you get into the larger scenario's, kindly throw that abstract out the window!!

To make it 500 meters, you would need to change all the movement rates, all the weapons data figures, and change the data in the Main.pdt, then have it encrypted again!

NO!

Sheesh. Please do not even go there. [:-]
The game has scale. It is 250m hexes and six minute time blocks.
Let players go to other games rather than change the scale of the game or simply make scale an "abstract".
There are already abstractions enough due to the IGoUGo nature of the game. Those are acceptable.

If someone wants to create a scenario covering all of June 6th D-day, let them do it within scale. 250m per hex and six minutes per turn.
Do I need to upload my "WWII in ten easy turns", using CS to show you the absurdity of abstract?

Changing scale would make it no longer CS. Plenty of games out there that cover different scales without ruining CS. [&:]

Please do not encourage players to go outside the established scale. [:(]

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
&#8213; Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Bonk. What was I thinking?!![:D]
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Tidavis

Post by Tidavis »

[:)]
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Changing scale would make it no longer CS. Plenty of games out there that cover different scales without ruining CS.

Please do not encourage players to go outside the established scale.

OK, I give up--why do you care? I promise not to make you play any mods I make!

Tidavis

Post by Tidavis »

Most of the documentation I have put together.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k05gphpfyd7e8 ... n.zip?dl=0

Soon I am going to do a new How to mod a DCG document with all the latest info put together by the Development team.

Scenario modding? Ask someone else[:D]
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Thanks much for the link.

[EDIT] I just tried to unzip the file, and it seems to be empty?
Tidavis

Post by Tidavis »

That's because it was empty. [:@] Beg pardon about that. It has been fixed.

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”