WitE 1.08 Change Log

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

morvael

WitE 1.08 Change Log

Post by morvael »

I have the honor to present you with WitE 1.08 change log. It has doubled in size since my previous posts with change log statistics, so it's nearly like a solid book now. You may wish to skip "specific changes" sections, as they were generated automatically and contain every single change made to the data files, which makes a very dry reading. Other sections were written by hand, and should be more interesting. If there are any spelling or grammar errors, it's my fault (because I'm not a native speaker). I'm sorry, you'll have to endure these.

WitE Changelog in numbers:
- 144 new features
- 63 bug fixes
- 45 scenario changes
- 5 general device changes
- 130 specific device changes
- 13 general ground element changes
- 392 specific ground element changes
- 12 general aircraft changes
- 293 specific aircraft changes
- 7 general TOE changes
- 93 specific TOE changes
- 2 general leader changes
- 24 specific leader changes
- 77 pages

Finally, some credits. This patch is not a one-man show, and was brought to you by:

Code: morvael
Updating and expanding generic data, scenarios, pictures, and translations: Denniss
Initial generic data update: el hefe, jaw, morvael
Some pictures: Omat, Red Lancer
Testing, feedback, bug reporting, discussion (in alphabetical order): abulbulian, Blubel, carlkay58, Denniss, dlazov66, DrewBlack, el hefe, Flaviusx, gingerbread, goranw, governato, Michael T, morvael, Pelton, Red Lancer, timmyab
Also, I want to thank Joel Billings and 2by3 for letting me work on this great game. This doesn't happen often in the world of commercial software products, for an outsider to be granted access to the source code, and should be applauded.

If someone is missing from the list - I'm very sorry.

So now I leave you to ponder over this monstrous change log... I guess we'll have a flame war here soon, as no doubt some changes favour the Axis, and some favour the Soviets, so both camps will have something to get angry at.

Download the change log here.

edit: added some missing credits, about those with whom Denniss was working.
Oberst_Klink

RE: WitE 1.08 Change Log

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Well done!

Attachments
vaderimpressive.jpg
vaderimpressive.jpg (95.75 KiB) Viewed 503 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
821Bobo

Post by 821Bobo »

27. Scenarios and games saved under this version will not load under older versions of the game.

Great to see this feature back.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

How about games currently in progress ? Any info of the impact of applying the new patch on them ?
Brakes are for cowards !!
morvael

Post by morvael »

In most aspects they should be ok, as the game alters some necessary data to required format. However:
a) some equipment will end up in wrong places due to old upgrade paths (where they represented "factory" not "field" upgrades, like Panzer IIf may be selected to fill slots calling for Wespe SP Artillery)
b) some of the new statistics will be incomplete, starting from 0
c) some of the new functions will not work, like conversions
d) no benefit from the vastly improved and expanded device, ground equipment, aircraft, TOE, leader and scenario data

That said I intend to upgrade to 1.08 for the final turns of my PBEM game as it is on turn 179, but if I were in the first 10-20 turns, I would like to restart it.
Oshawott

WitE 1.08 Change Log

Post by Oshawott »

Is it possible to play two different versions of WitE on the same computer?
morvael

Post by morvael »

Yes, first install and update to 1.07.15, then copy it somewhere else, then update the main game to 1.08. That way you can play 1.08 in the main install directory, and 1.07.15 using the copy.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

If we stay in the old WITE version some times to follow ongoing multiplayer games.

Does the multi server will still be compatible with the old version of the game ?
Brakes are for cowards !!
Eambar

Post by Eambar »

Thanks to Morvael and everyone who worked on 1.08, very much appreciated. Looks like this should take us through to WiTE 2.0!

Cheers,
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

Yes, first install and update to 1.07.15, then copy it somewhere else, then update the main game to 1.08. That way you can play 1.08 in the main install directory, and 1.07.15 using the copy.

Thanks, will do.
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

Soviet national morale changed to the following: January 1941 to June 1941 40, July 1941 to March 1942 45, April 1942 to September 1942 40, October 1942 to December 1942 45,
January 1943 to June 1943 50, July 1943 to December 1943 55, January 1944 to December 1945 60.

This is a huge change! I would be very careful changing any other settings before this is thoroughly tested.
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

Very impressive and thorough update. A billion [&o] and thank you's!
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

I'm not sure that the update feature on my installation works well.

Where can we find the patch when it's released?

I assume a link will be posted in this august forum.

[&o]
Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

HQ build up was changed to become part of the normal supply system, instead of being a separate entity.
During supply phase those units are eligible to replenish their stocks over the usual 100% by 25% plus the amount of their build up bonus multiplied by 0.75 (rounding up).

Morvael, this looks like a very interesting rule change. However, I am not sure if I understand it correctly. When exactly do the units receive fuel/supplies after a buildup? At the end of the other players turn?
morvael

Post by morvael »

When all other units of the same side recieve their supplies. Technically it's at start of their turn, but since this is executed after enemy player turn, you can see it the other way round.

Edit: in the old system all supplies, fuel and ammo were magically teleported to units from far away cities in the moment you clicked HQBU button. The new way is more realistic, but can be disrupted by enemy.
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

Edit: in the old system all supplies, fuel and ammo were magically teleported to units from far away cities in the moment you clicked HQBU button. The new way is more realistic, but can be disrupted by enemy.

That's what I was going for with my question. Pretty cool!

Also, HQ muling is no longer possible. Thank you very much!

But what about random weather? This could potentially disrupt an executed HQ buildup?
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

-
morvael

Post by morvael »

Just like regular resupply, more MP in bad weather = higher penalty. But all the penalties are halved for units doing buildup (at the cost of using double the number of trucks vs normal resupply), so those units would still end supplied better than their neighbours.
morvael

Post by morvael »

ORIGINAL: hfarrish

Love the changes related to forts and the limits on fort construction - hopefully the death of WW1. Increased reserve activations (particularly on offense) should also be huge.

On National Morale - what are the existing parameters for the Soviets? Also...Germans really were stuck at 70 for the entire game in the current version? That decline to 55 will be huge.

Especially with fort game setting below 100... Things start to get interesting. But where you build up to level 3 (LG?), such position will be protected from panzers due to dense terrain bonus, and infantry will have to do the job.

Yes, Germany should be severely weakened at the end of the war. The game was balanced with the bug existing, thus the balance will now change considerably (I'd say 41 is slightly pro-Axis now, 42 much more pro-Axis, but then things go downhill for them fast). That's why this must be a public beta for a long time - we need more people playing to discover new balance, it was impossible to do it in private development group only. Or you would see the patch in 2016. Sudden death scenarios may be especially dangerous now, so I suggest normal GC is safer choice.

New Soviet morale is listed somewhere in the log.

Good thing is - anyone can mod this now to some extent (per-country per-year) in scenario parameters.
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

-

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”