Radar, signature and topography

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Flef

Radar, signature and topography

Post by Flef »

I need to know some things about how radar works in-game.

first: How can I know in advance if my plane will be identified/detected or not?

If I use a F22 at which distance will it be detected from (let's say) a Lanza's antenna?

Second question is the topography and the earth "round" shape blocking the radars in game?
ExNusquam

RE: Radar, signature and topography

Post by ExNusquam »

ORIGINAL: Flef
Second question is the topography and the earth "round" shape blocking the radars in game?
Can't help with the first question, but terrain masking is definitely modeled in command. Older radars also suffer from ground clutter when looking down at targets or when searching for smaller targets in the littorals.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

It does radar and visual horizon's too.

Thanks!

Mike
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
Flef

Post by Flef »

* The lowest is detected at ca 2.1-1.8nm slant range and classified as a A-4 Skyhawk at ca 0.8-1.0nm slant range.
* The middle aircraft is not detected as it is too far away / too small.
* The highest Skyhawk creates a contrail and is detected at a considerable distance, and thus is the first of the three to be detected. The ground observer can determine the size of the contrail (small/medium/large) but can never see the actual aircraft nor classify it as an A-4 Skyhawk.

[...]
TECHNICAL DETAILS: Contrails will only form at altitudes greater than 8000m, and at temperatures below -40 deg C. The simulator has a ‘standard atmosphere’ model that checks if the temperature is lower than 233 deg Kelvin at the aircraft’s current altitude
oh f**k! I've done s**t all the time. xD.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”