[SOLVED] Question about building bases in a contested system start

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Resolvegamer

[SOLVED] Question about building bases in a contested system start

Post by Resolvegamer »

I decided to upgrade to Universe and got the steam version. It's been a while since I played.

I started a new game and ended up in a shared system with another AI empire.

I was not able to queue up any mining bases. Each time I tried to it said the base was in another empires territory. However the AI Empire was able to build mining bases right on the gas giant next to my starting colony moon.

I guess the AI can build in a contested starting system area but the player cannot?

Is there something I am overlooking, or is this just a player/AI game balance issue where the AI is given the ability to build in other empires territories and the player is not?
Aeson

RE: Question about building bases in a contested system start

Post by Aeson »

Systems always belong to someone, and that someone can always build in the system. Zoom out and see what color the system was painted. If it's the color of your opponent, it's "their" system even though your homeworld is in it. Build an army and conquer their homeworld, or research bombardment weapons and return them to the stone age, or mine neutral worlds elsewhere.

Shared starting systems are a pain in the butt, but they are generally playable, and they might give you access to a decent population to diversify your colonization options and your empire bonuses if you're lucky.
Resolvegamer

Post by Resolvegamer »

Ahh, thank you for the info. I will be prepared with more strategic options next time. :)
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

I should correct myself slightly. Systems with one or more colonies belonging to empires always belong to someone. Uncolonized systems and systems with only independent colonies can be open (or neutral or unclaimed, if you prefer) systems.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”