Question on Re-arming the main guns of my Battleship.

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Strike Eagle

Question on Re-arming the main guns of my Battleship.

Post by Strike Eagle »

I'm currently playing the "1,000 Mile War" scenario as the Allies, and am in May of '43, I received reinforcements in the form of the BBs Idaho, Nevada, Pennsylvania, along with several other ships before and after, and I have so far just used them to bombard Kiska Is until I got sufficient transports to mount an amphibious assault, which I now have. Before I invade Kiska, however, I planned to precede with further bombardment, and I've had my BBs and CAs/CLs return to Dutch Harbor to replenish their stocks of fuel and ammo, but while my cruisers main and secondary armaments, as well as my BBs secondaries were restocked, the game tells me that Dutch Harbor is unable to fully rearm my ships, i.e. Dutch Harbor is unable to restock the main guns of the Battleships. So how am I supposed to rearm the big guns? Thanks in advance.

P.S. Incase this is relevant to the question above; Dutch Harbors port is at level 5 right now(expansion to lvl 6 is at 22%) while Addacks port is at lvl 2.
What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight-it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Dwight D. Eisenhower
geofflambert

RE: Question on Re-arming the main guns of my Battleship.

Post by geofflambert »

That port isn't large enough. If you had a loaded AE or AKE it would rearm.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

see page 211 of the manual (9.3.3) a level six will load a ship up to 48k tons.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

You also need adequate supply there, I believe 2x requirement will do.

Strike Eagle

Post by Strike Eagle »

Alright, I believe the supply situation in Dutch Harbor does exceed the required amount, and I do have AE Rainer loaded up, sent out, and assigned as a replenishment TF, though how do I order her to rearm the battleships?
What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight-it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Dwight D. Eisenhower
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

You don't, you order the BB to replenish once the AE is there.

Strike Eagle

Post by Strike Eagle »

Okay, thanks. [:)]

Dwight D. Eisenhower
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

It'll work even if an AKE there is disbanded and I believe that's true for an AE as well. That way an enemy sub can't take it out.

KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Just disband the AE in port and it will restock the BBs. You can load it by pressing the "load tender" button while in the port screen. The AE will take supplies from the port to restock (anchorage)
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

The point being is the smaller ports wouldn't have the kind of equipment required but the AE/AKEs do.

alimentary

Post by alimentary »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
see page 211 of the manual (9.3.3) a level six will load a ship up to 48k tons.

That is the required port size to dock. The required port size to rearm main guns will vary with the size of the gun. In that same table, look at the "rearm" column. A level six port can rearm weapons with a rearm cost up to 700 points. That's way too low.

See the table on page 284 (20.1.2.2) for the estimated rearm costs of various weapons. However, the actual rearm costs are based on the data in the scenarios. The algorithm is given on page 212 (9.3.3.2). The rearm cost for a naval weapon is twice the "effect" value of the weapon.

For an allied 16/50 Mk 7 Gun (device 013 in scenario 1 according to the scenario editor) the effect is 2700 so the rearm cost is 5400. You will need a level 7 port, a level 6 port with a LOT of naval support or an AE or AKE with a capacity of at least 5400.

The ammunition ship cargo capacity requirement is on page 284 [20.1.2.2) and must be met by a single ammunition ship.

jmalter

Post by jmalter »

A port's ability to re-arm hvy guns, its capacity in increased if NavSupport squads are present.
Loaded AE/AKE ships disbanded in the port can re-arm ships, but their size (displacement tonnage) limits the size of weapons they can re-arm.
The ports and disbanded re-supply ships are limited by 'operations points' expense, as are the combatants seeking re-arming.
It can take 2 or more days to fully re-arm a large CV or BB TF from a mid-size port. The combatant ships are spending ops-points to refuel, as well as re-arm.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

but their size (displacement tonnage) limits the size of weapons they can re-arm.

Not displacement tonnage, but load capacity is the limiting factor.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

you're right, rustysi.

The AE/AKE's load capacity (supply points it can carry) governs the max size of weapons it can 'give' ammo reloads to.

Starting in Jan 45, Allied AE's can re-arm ships at sea, they must be in a Replenishment TF to do so.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Starting in Jan 45, Allied AE's can re-arm ships at sea, they must be in a Replenishment TF to do so.

Yes, but as a caveat its only for small caliber weapons. Secondary armament and AA stuff. No main gun or torps.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Strike Eagle

Post by Strike Eagle »

Alright, I will try some of the suggestions given on here, thanks for the responses.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”