Short Questions/Answer Thread

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

Cfant

Short Questions/Answer Thread

Post by Cfant »

Hi guys!

Just a few questions :)

1.) If a AI-tank on plain ground attacks my tank in the woods - how is the penalty-situation? In other words: Do I get ground-penalties if I attack FROM or I attack INTO a penalty-ground-hex?
2.) Ground units are not affected from bad weather - but my 88 can't fire on planes in rain? How comes this?
3.) Is there a way to reduce the random-battle-conclusion in vanilla? Quite often a 1:5 comes out to be a 4:1 instead, killing troops just out of bad luck. For a game, in which lost units may ruin the whole campaign, the level of randomness is much too high (for my taste at least [;)])
4.) AI-flak gives support, if I attack AI-units in its zone of influence. My 88 doesn't, it seems. Can that be?
5.) What does a neutralized unit mean? They still fire back, those traitors! :D

Thanks a lot!
R35

RE: Short Questions/Answer Thread

Post by R35 »

1. My understanding is that the penalty matters (goes against) the unit in the "bad" hex, not the one attacking it or being attacked from it.
2. If the air units can`t carry on missions due to poor visibility then it goes the other way around I suppose (anti-air units can`t properly aim them either. Basically what happens when the weather is bad is that the air component is affected in its entirety(air-to-air, air-to-ground and ground-to-air).
3. when you select a scenario or campaign you have an Advanced tab for the options and under Combat Random you have three options, one of which is None (Chess). It does what it implies. There`s also an option Reform units which puts destroyed units in reserve so you don`t lose them entirely.
4. Anti-air units give support if they`re in a hex right next to the unit that is attacked from the air, not if they`re two hexagons away, even if they`re in firing range. Sorta like artillery works too. The other thing to check is if your 88 is in antiaircraft or antitank mode. It is one of the weapons that can be switched between classes.
5. Units don`t get neutralized; cities do. What that means is that visually the flag turns white and they`re basically neutral. The enemy won`t be able to buy units from there for example, but they can be conquered by you. This has no effect on the unit fighting in that hex, even if it`s a "structure" like a fort or radar etc.
Cfant

Post by Cfant »

Ah, thank you very much, it explains a lot :) [&o]
Cfant

Post by Cfant »

New questions [:)]

Do the awards (Iron Cross etc.) change anything or are they just decoration?
If I only get a marginal victory at Sea Lion, Barbarossa starts anyway. What's the difference to deceisive victory?
Regarding Sea Lion - bad luck with weather the first few turns and it's over, or am I wrong? I always have rain on turn 2 - so I cannot hit the Royal Air Force and do not spot the english navy...
R35

Post by R35 »

I think that, unlike heroes, the medals are just for flavour. You can read more on them at Slitherine:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 98#p426898
Regarding Sea Lion. I`m guessing the difference is prestige. Also, if you lose in Britain or you only get a marginal victory in France (which means no Sea Lion at all) you`ll end up in Greece before Barbarossa.
As far as wining the scenario goes it depends more on radars than anything else. The strategy in this scenario is actually waiting, not rushing to the attack:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... ilit=radar
Cfant

Post by Cfant »

Ah, thanks. I'll take all the infos I can get in that forum :) Thank you very much!
Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

1) Use the hex the defender is in to calculate. Tank in woods is ok to attack from. Attacking a tank in the woods gives a penalty to the tank.
2) Weather does effect ground units.
4) there are two types of anti aircraft units. AA which is for offense and AD which is air defense. AD units protect units adjacent to it. So it fires a defensive round. 88 mm is an AA offensive weapon.
R35

Post by R35 »

ORIGINAL: Razz
4) there are two types of anti aircraft units. AA which is for offense and AD which is air defense. AD units protect units adjacent to it. So it fires a defensive round. 88 mm is an AA offensive weapon.
What are you basing this on? What exactly would make such a difference between units from the same class? I`ve just done a quick test in game with the 8.8 cm Flak 36 and it did fire on the bomber that was attacking the unit next to it.

Return to “The War Room”