Air op question

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Chris21wen

Air op question

Post by Chris21wen »

I don't understand why some units use do little of their ops capability and I'm somewhat confused. Actually I'm struggling with most of the air ops but here's some specifics.

In the pic I managed to get the recon unit up to 75% by manually selecting the a/b then destination. I used the AI to do it first but the unit didn't carry out any ops?

Switching to night ops for the TacB I selected a target and it only used 2%. How do I get this to increase as the game will only allow one sortie.

TAP unit similar to TacB. Only one night trans sortie.

The LTAP shows 0% but I can get it to carry out three day time ops, increasing it usage to 25%.

There could be any number of reasons such as moral, experience, supply, leader and not least of all my stupidity, but I do need some guidance here.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (141.01 KiB) Viewed 27 times
loki100

RE: Air op question

Post by loki100 »

the way I read this is you need to consider the % flown against notional range against target.

So lets say a U2VS has a range of 10 hexes, and it has 20% usage, that means its remaining range is only 8, so if the mission would consume more than this it can't fly again. Solution is to get them as close to the front as you can, or keep an empty base at the front and fly via this.

I also think that some air missions consume all the planes in a unit - say a U2 bombing raid, but others like recon only use 2-4 planes.

So a recon unit may be able to go higher in terms of % use partly as they often have longer ranges and also as each mission only draws on a small part of the overall unit.

There may well be more going on than I have sort of worked out ...
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

You can only fly one bombing mission manually. It is quite normal for the percentages to be in the 2-5 % range. During ground combat your planes will continue to fly support missions and the percentages can reach 100% depending on your setting for Percent required to fly. Of course you have to turn Ground Support on.

You can fly recon planes as often as you want until you reach the setting for Percent required to fly.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: loki100

the way I read this is you need to consider the % flown against notional range against target.

So lets say a U2VS has a range of 10 hexes, and it has 20% usage, that means its remaining range is only 8, so if the mission would consume more than this it can't fly again. Solution is to get them as close to the front as you can, or keep an empty base at the front and fly via this.

Forget what I'd written here, must have been tired or suffering from a bout of profound stupidness.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”