GD1938 AAR question

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

Wolfe1759

GD1938 AAR question

Post by Wolfe1759 »

I've clicked into a few of the GD1938 AARs and my first impression is that their lack of any screenshots makes the pretty pointless for someone who isn't one of the players.

Sorry to sound a bit harsh but some screen shots to help follow the narrative would be nice, unless I'm missing something obvious that makes this a bad idea.

P.S. just noticed that this is my 666th post - I'm obviously a very bad person for asking this question [:)]
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
cpdeyoung

RE: GD1938 AAR question

Post by cpdeyoung »

@Wolfe

I have been trying to get more shots in, but there are a couple of factors working against this nice practice.

1. Once you have finished your turn and sent it to the next player you can't take shots. In some games you can do the AAR after sending the turn to the next player.

2. In GD1938 multiplayer games you will frequently have your own and allied unit exposed which would not otherwise be available to the enemy. Showing where an important unit is hurts you, or even more embarrassingly showing an allied unit. Using a paint program to obscure all the hidden units is a real chore.

3. It is a big, somewhat spread out game, and shots after a battle are not as dramatic as before - during - after sequences, but these take a lot of thought and even forethought. You may not realize the snapshot would be valuable till the battle is over.

That being said I am trying to include more screenshots, and will work hard in the future to do so. I like a nice AAR too, but not all players have the time. Some times you have three games going at once, which can be six hours of work.

I hope the future sees some good stories told, with pictures.

Chuck
RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

Hello Wolfe,

you are right. Some screenshots make AARs more interesting. And might get more players interested trying the scenario, so the whole community would profite of this (hm,... was this a good style, excuse me, I am no native speaker).

I will try to add some posts in AARs and add some screens. But as Chuck already mentioned, it is a matter of time. So I have some screens, but as I had not time I did not write a post and screens might be too old now.
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

I agree that screenshots make the AAR more entertaining, but this game is about finding targets. With a assortment of ranged aircraft ships etc often what keeps them safe is FOW. Lift that and you are putting valuable units at risk, not to say that these targets wont be discovered with recon, but why help with revealing screenshots.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Loose pics sink ships. It's a major chore to show things yet not show too much and still make it something that might be interesting to see. You can bet that you are only getting a tiny fraction of the real action. How 'bout that, another rhyme.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I think someone might want to do an AAR after the Action has occured. That way it could be revealed. But it would of course require someone to sit back and report on things long after the game was actually played. What these AARs really are is not AARs (After Action Reports) but IARs (In Action Reports).
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

I had saved every turn file with the eventual thought of doing as Ernie suggests, although it's simply too time consuming to consider for me. Until you've tried to do a few of these you don't really understand how time consuming they are.

Ron Swanson
Josh

Post by Josh »

Well in general there are a lot of folks who enjoy a good AAR, then again it takes a *lot* of time to write one.
To prevent "exposing" your troops one can always create his own thread where the opposing side is not allowed. So there can be two or more AAR's about the same battle.
There were some very entertaining AAR's some time ago, uh maybe some years ago hehe so yeah it can be done.

War in the East, War in the Pacific and Hearts of Iron have some amazing good AAR's. TOAW too but that game has become a little obscure over the years I mean not many players play it anymore.
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

cpdeyoung - just had a quick look at the game 12 and 14 AARs - nice maps and combat result tables [:)]

Totally appreciate from the above why this isn't always possible or fun to do, thanks for the replys.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Josh

To prevent "exposing" your troops one can always create his own thread where the opposing side is not allowed. So there can be two or more AAR's about the same battle.

I have thought about doing this also, of course on the honor system. I might give it a go on my next game of whatever it is I decide to play out.

AAR's are entertaining but hopefully go beyond that and help recruit new people and build the group that'll help keep the game alive and evolving.

Ron Swanson

Return to “After Action Reports”