Questions

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

RedLancer

RE: Questions

Post by RedLancer »

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield

Does slowing the Soviet advance benefit the German player in any way, like e.g. more resources, better production, reinforcements?

Yes - the Soviet advance is tracked across the map as are Axis losses in the EF Box. You won't get any more reinforcements but the longer you hold the better.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

ORIGINAL: Szilard

I'm only interested in playing against the AI. Is it going to be capable of playing a plausible German side?

The German AI plays pretty well but of course not as good as a human player. In the games I've played it won't get itself trapped in a Falaise Pocket but then again it doesn't immediately run all the way to the Westwall.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i just hope its not as hardcore as in the east was[&o]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
morvael

Post by morvael »

Same scale, so you can expect less divisions and shorter fronts, just because Western Front was smaller than Eastern Front :) Does it make it less hardcode? No :)
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

did we ever get a price ????
"Tanks forward"
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

Assuming this game will give me as much fun as WITE or WITP AE----Price doesn't matter.

That said, knowing what it's going to cost (or even a rough estimate) ahead of time is always good IMO.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: warshipbuilder
I want a game with thousands of pieces like back in the day of that game that sounds like Drag Net Austin.

I believe you are referring to Drang nach Osten?

LOL thas the name. I never could spell it but it always sounded like Dragnet Austin when someone mentioned it.
Gizuria

Post by Gizuria »

Well, finally. [&o]I will definitely pick this one up as a Christmas present to myself. I expect it to cost somewhere around the region of US$90 to $100 which seems to be the current top-level Matrix games price. But I'm sure it will be more than worth the price.[8D]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

well it's a purchase tbh as i have the east, just keep reading and if needed will help out if a alpha / beta testers are needed, but as release date already been given i think you are already sorted in that department then[X(]

[&o][;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

Does this have any kind of R&D decisions or weapon manufacturing decisions? Thanks.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

Does this have any kind of R&D decisions or weapon manufacturing decisions? Thanks.

No - production is fixed just like WitE.

All I can say to those that want to play with the what if of changing production then learning to use the editor provides endless opportunities. I'm already getting ready for when I have the spare time to add the Martin Baker MB5, Bristol Buckingham, Black Prince, Avenger and Centurion Mk1 to the UK order of battle.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
dereck

Post by dereck »

Will there be an opportunity to pre-order the game prior to it's release?

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
vsek

Post by vsek »

For the May 44 scenario...I used to play Avalon Hills Fortress Europa back in the day. One of the cool things that game had was you could as allies plan to invade anwhere along the french coast all the way to Belgium. Allareas had benifits and disadvantages. Of course going straigh at the pais de calais would mean your invasion is mauled. Do you as allies have th option of anywhere to invade? Also as germans do you have the option to place mobile reserves anywhere or they locked in place per scenario?

It would also be cool to factor in some randomness like delay of the release of the SS units to the coast to factor in the diversion created by Pattons fake 3rd army.
vsek

Post by vsek »

Oh and is the prioroty capture of v1 coast sites factored in? thanks
cato12

Post by cato12 »

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

ORIGINAL: cato12

Is the SU automated system actually going to work in WITW as it doesn't in WITE. It is such an unbelievably mind numbing to chore to constantly shift them around.

The automated system in WITE sounds perfect in theory, if only it worked.

It is difficult to reply when I don't agree with either of your key statements. There is always an area of debate whether an automatic system is working correctly when it doesn't second guess quite what you want which is why I always play with locked SUs.

WitW is even more complex than WitE - as a result there are a number of areas, particularly in the air phase, where you can delegate tasks to the game. What I have noticed is that the choices of a human player will always be better than an automatic system.

have a look at this thread and tell me again how it isn't useless. if it isn't useless and is working as intended then would you care to explain what no one in that thread could?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3629564

RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

ORIGINAL: vsek

Do you as allies have th option of anywhere to invade? Also as germans do you have the option to place mobile reserves anywhere or they locked in place per scenario?

Yes the Allies can invade in most places but some coastline is classed as impassable like the eastern coast of the Gulf of St Malo. In addition most scenarios start with an option allowing the retargeting of invasions and airdrops whilst still retaining preparation points which are required to launch your invasion.

As a German you can place your strategic reserves where you like - I don't recall any frozen units in the scenarios. There is however the limitation of needing to maintain sufficient garrisons in a number of geographic areas. Failure to do so costs you victory points and risks partisan attacks on your rail lines.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

ORIGINAL: vsek

Oh and is the prioroty capture of v1 coast sites factored in? thanks

Yes - the game has V-Weapon sites. Their existence costs the Allies points which increase once NW Europe is invaded so the imperative to clear the coastal sites is factored in.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

ORIGINAL: cato12

have a look at this thread and tell me again how it isn't useless. if it isn't useless and is working as intended then would you care to explain what no one in that thread could?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3629564

I've just spent an hour and a half testing the Auto SU system in WitW just so I can categorically state that it works as expected. It does even with the added complications in WitW of there being limitations on the moving SUs across water when freight is scarce and the Allies having so many SUs that there are more than 9 of one type at the higher levels. I still stand by my opinion that I'm better at doing it than the automatic system. In addition as a scenario designer I've spent hours researching the historic OOB - apart from the odd reassignment locking the SUs keeps things historic and balanced.

(I think you might find that the problem that you are seeing with WitE is that if you have a HHQ level set to 0 when cascading SUs to Corp level then that acts as a block and 1 as a bottleneck as BJP III describes.)
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”