[FIXED B579 + v1.07] How to shoot down a U-2?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

chrispman

[FIXED B579 + v1.07] How to shoot down a U-2?

Post by chrispman »

Hi folks,

I am playing around with the scenario editor (CWDB) and can't seem to find an SA-2 system from 1960 that is able to shoot down a U-2 at max altitude. Apart from that, even if the U-2 is below the max altitude, the Spoon Rest/Fan Song combo isnt able to get a good enough fix to shoot.

Another thing, what kind of mission is used for a Photo Recon over the USSR, starting in Peshawar, Pakistan and ending in Bodø, Norway? Ferry seems to go in a straight line to destination, everything else wil return to the home base when Bingo. Is this only possible manually?

regards
chris
mikmykWS

RE: How to shoot down a U-2?

Post by mikmykWS »

Hi CC

I'll put a note in on the radar issue but just add EW radars to the scenario and you should get better results.

To script a path try using a support mission set to go one time.

Thanks!

Mike
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

It would be fantastic if you could upload the scen so that the programmers have something to test. Thanks! [8D]

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
chrispman

Post by chrispman »

Here's the scenario prototype.

- U-2 is impossible to shoot down
- Cannot automate Recon Mission from Peshawar to Bodø, because of Bingo Fuel which cannot be unassigned.

Thanks guys
Attachments
Article360.zip
(19.86 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Reported, thanks!

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
Rudd

Post by Rudd »

- Cannot automate Recon Mission from Peshawar to Bodø, because of Bingo Fuel which cannot be unassigned.
Your trouble with this mission is it still has Peshawar as it's homebase, so once it gets approx halfway, it's going to RTB back to Peshawar.

You would have to change it's homebase after takeoff...but in this situation it doesn't have enough fuel to follow the mission plots, so it's going to go straight to Bodo
chrispman

Post by chrispman »

ORIGINAL: Rudd
Your trouble with this mission is it still has Peshawar as it's homebase, so once it gets approx halfway, it's going to RTB back to Peshawar.

You would have to change it's homebase after takeoff...but in this situation it doesn't have enough fuel to follow the mission plots, so it's going to go straight to Bodo

Exactly. If I could change homebase to Bodo halfway AND unassign from Bingo, I could at least finish the mission manually. Can't see a way of letting the AI handle it.
Coiler12

Post by Coiler12 »

ORIGINAL: commanderchrisp
Exactly. If I could change homebase to Bodo halfway AND unassign from Bingo, I could at least finish the mission manually. Can't see a way of letting the AI handle it.

One idea:
-Start with the U-2 out and manually plot a course to an area.
-When it reaches that area, a ferry mission to Bodo will be activated via a "unit enters area" event.
Rudd

Post by Rudd »

Make it a one-way ferry mission with no-nav zones "pointing" it over intended targets, I also added a tanker track over the Gulf of Bothnia.

Attachments
a360.jpg
a360.jpg (503.54 KiB) Viewed 106 times
chrispman

Post by chrispman »

Smart, that works. Thanks for the help!
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Fixed in Build 579.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”