New map - West Berlin, British Sector

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

Plodder

RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector

Post by Plodder »

Thanks William, I'll try that tonight. I did try to adjust the rgb values with no luck but I'll try your hex values instead.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

ORIGINAL: W1ll14m

Plodder, roads are only recognized as #c1c1c1 in 2.05, not as #c0c0c0. You might have to save the map first before the "Road" tags appear.
For lakes and version 2.05, use color #2e00de, not color #2d00dd.

Regards,

William

I've just tried that and still get 99s for lakes and no recognition of them either.
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

ORIGINAL: The Plodder

Plodder, roads are only recognized as #c1c1c1 in 2.05, not as #c0c0c0. You might have to save the map first before the "Road" tags appear.
For lakes and version 2.05, use color #2e00de, not color #2d00dd.

Regards,

William

I've just tried that and still get 99s for lakes and no recognition of them either.

Weird. I tested this before posting, and just checked my map: color #2e00de, lake recognized and elevation set to 0. I'm using 2.05.
If you haven't spent too much time entering manual values (for obstacles, and other corrections), you might try removing/renaming the .fp9 file, rescanning all, and seeing if the Map Values editor recognizes the lakes when starting "clean".

AFAIK, lakes don't need to be set to elevation 0; the game will do that apparently. A couple of the official maps don't have 0 elevation for lakes, but once loaded in the game lakes are seen as elevation 0.

William
William
On Target Simulations LLC
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

I've tried again, I deleted the fp9, rechecked my colour values and I also set the buffer to 9, still get 99s in the lakes. This is with the 2.06 r2 beta btw.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Again any idea how this plays with regards to LOS? Doesn't it bring up oddities with units being able to fire across built up hexes?
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

I don't know yet as I haven't been able to generate the map values for it.
MikeGER

Post by MikeGER »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Again any idea how this plays with regards to LOS? Doesn't it bring up oddities with units being able to fire across built up hexes?

you can semi-test it with the Pied Piper scenario on map RS9
if you arange your defending forces in Hameln itself and its suburbs ...that part of the map has some simularity in the landscape structures to small western parts of the Berlin-map
so LOS traced through several city hexes with surounding suburbs and a bigger waterbody runing near
wodin

Post by wodin »

Will do.
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

After you generate you map values, go into the map editor and manually set urban areas visibility to value "9". The editor will set the visibility of urban areas with roads at 7 or 8. Setting the value to "9" should help with preventing units from firing across urban hexes. This is something that I think needs to be address as we move into 2.1--blocking LOS in urban  and deep woods.
Charles Belva
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

I'm still in two minds about that. Most of the roads on the map now are the big wide avenues. It's a pity the roads dont give directional LOS down them so we could have long range shots down Straße des 17. Juni for instance:

Plodder

Post by Plodder »

I'm currently in the middle of adding the map labels. I'm trying to be careful not to have them overpower the map while also having most landmarks and areas marked. I've done the Boroughs and localities and I'm now working my way through the water features.

Attachments
westBerlinwip28.jpg
westBerlinwip28.jpg (687.16 KiB) Viewed 99 times
djoos5

Post by djoos5 »

Amazing map! I look forward to using it.

Thanks for your work, Plodder.
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

I've been making good progress on the labeling, I'm currently on street names, which is the most time consuming as I first have to trace a line for the name string to follow, adjust it to follow the street curves and then mount the name string on top of it.Then adjust it again to make it look right. Then rinse and repeat on the next street name. After the streetnames will be the landmarks, I've done the Spandau Zitadelle in the sample below to give you an idea of what they will look like.

I've been using a website called Typebrewer to select what fonts to use. This site is great for selecting fonts that go together for what ever theme you want (I'm using formal B). I'd recommend any mapmakers to check it out.

Attachments
westBerlin-wip29_100.jpg
westBerlin-wip29_100.jpg (705.38 KiB) Viewed 95 times
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

That's impressive! And a nice way to keep us all waiting : )

William

p.s. Note that Nonnendammallee, in the bottom right, is missing the final "e".
William
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

That's impressive! And a nice way to keep us all waiting : )

William

p.s. Note that Nonnendammallee, in the bottom right, is missing the final "e".

Thanks, and I picked up on the missing "e" just after I posted the screenie last night.[:D] Good spotting though!
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

I'm still labeling the streets, I've managed to get to Wedding. As I'm going through the map, I'm noticing little things that need to be fixed or adjusted so I'm compiling a todo list which I'll do after labeling is complete.I'm actually labeling a flat image of the map as opposed to the multi-layered .pspimage file that I use to make the map so I can't make the changes as I see them unless they're labels. This is because the pspimage is getting unwieldy and the time to save the file is increasing. The size of the file is also making PSP get a bit unstable so it's only prudent to work on a smaller sized file.

Here's a preview at 100% zoom of the Charlottenburg and Tiergarten areas. The different colour lines are the borders of the boroughs and occupation zones. Red: Soviet Zone/GDR, Blue: Allied Occupation Zones, Green: Borough Boundaries. The Boroughs are as they were in 1989.

Attachments
westBerlinwip30_100.jpg
westBerlinwip30_100.jpg (769.99 KiB) Viewed 94 times
MikeGER

Post by MikeGER »

Seriously!
With this beautiful map [&o] OTS should think about a Flashpoint Campaign 'Berlin edition' to be physically-only sold in Berlin

1. boxed version - CD jewelcase/booklet: only this Berlin map and a few scenarios on this map of growing complexity on that map.
(for a reduced price then FC:RS)

2. boxed deluxe version: also has a cardboard box, a printed manual, and especially a full blown printed map to unfold to a sice that make sense
(maybe even add an folded acetate cover sheet and a cheap pencil-set for the true "cold war times planning experience")

all to be sold in dedicated tourist/museum-shops visitor-centers at the according memorials in Berlin like Checkpoint Charly and such.

i smell lot o sales [:)] (The Plodder should get some shares[8D])

Of course that Berlin version is locked to this map and just don't load other maps!
(both versions may contain also a coupon-code to be used when upgrading to the full-game for reduced rates)

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Are you kidding me? This is the worst map I could imagine for FPC:RS!!

After this how will anyone else ever make a map that gamers will accept? Who has months to devote to creating a single map? The series is effectively dead with this one map!!

There is only one answer: Plodder must quit his job and make maps for the series fulltime. He will also need to figure out a way to amp up productivity because one map every 3 or 4 months isn't going to cut it. [:D]

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

Are you kidding me? This is the worst map I could imagine for FPC:RS!!

After this how will anyone else ever make a map that gamers will accept? Who has months to devote to creating a single map? The series is effectively dead with this one map!!
LOL, William will just have to up his game...[:D] (Although, I like what I have seen so far [;)])
There is only one answer: Plodder must quit his job and make maps for the series fulltime. He will also need to figure out a way to amp up productivity because one map every 3 or 4 months isn't going to cut it.
I wish!!! Where do I sign? Although, if I did do it full-time, it would probably only take me about 2-3 weeks to get a map to this standard. As it is, it's only going to be 2 months as I'm almost finished.[:'(]
battlerbritain

Post by battlerbritain »

It does look excellent doesn't it? :)

I love the fonts used to name the areas and you've even named the roads - epic!

Just got to setup the scenario to redo Berlin '85 and we're off...
Somerset, Uk

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”