What I've learned so far

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

LoBlo

What I've learned so far

Post by LoBlo »

So been playing for about a month off and on, mainly SAG or CVBG scenarios, many of them custom. Here's what I've learned so far about Naval Warfare. Chime in if you have any comments, input. I have no formal military background.

Lesson #1: AEW is a game changer.
If the enemy has a AEW asset up and you don't, your basically a sitting duck waiting for the inevitable alpha strike and you won't see it coming. Your gameplay becomes reactive rather than active. On the other hand, with your AEW up (espeically if the enemy is blind). Its like having a peek into the enemy's camp at all times. Take out the opposing AEW and you can go EMCON silent and the OPFOR will be wandering around looking for you.

Lesson #2: Breaking Missile Defense is tough!
Seems to come down to attrition with the high capability defense systems. Do you have more missiles than the OPFOR has ASMs or vice-versa. Some of the faster ASM (Brahmos, Krypton) bring a better chance of least 1-2 mission kills. Otherwise, even the best CVSG alpha strike will have a tough time penetrating all modern point defenses and defensive missiles.

Lesson #3: Subs are slow.
Dangerous waters was my favorite warsim before Command. Naturally its sub-centric and exaggerates the role of USW in a combined arms environment. Compared to the 15-20 knot transit speeds of the SAGs, your sub will struggle to cover ground without high speed dashes and therefore detectability.

Lesson #4: Speed is a potent ASW tactic.
If those SSKs and SSN have to sprint to intercept you then they can be heard. Make them run.

That's it for now. Still learning as I go and refining the tactics. Stellar game bytheway.

Cheers.

lb
Coiler12

RE: What I've learned so far

Post by Coiler12 »

Lesson #2: Breaking Missile Defense is tough!
Seems to come down to attrition with the high capability defense systems. Do you have more missiles than the OPFOR has ASMs or vice-versa. Some of the faster ASM (Brahmos, Krypton) bring a better chance of least 1-2 mission kills. Otherwise, even the best CVSG alpha strike will have a tough time penetrating all modern point defenses and defensive missiles.

Used to be even tougher. All missiles got their maximum pK against other missiles, no matter how fast. So, see that huge relic of an MPA-oh, if it sees the missile, it gets a dodge bonus, therefore it's harder to shoot down than Mr. Yakhont roaring in low and fast. There was an anti-sea skimmer modifier for older defenses, but this was still problematic as pKs got better.

From both a gameplay and realism standpoint this wasn't ideal (In a Falklands scenario, you could launch your Exocets and they'd almost always get shot down, and against high-end missile defenses, running them out was basically the only way to stop them.) Now speed and signature modifiers are added, and they make an incredible difference (the Exocets often get through now in the same scenario).

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”