Carrier Planes Take Up Different Space?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

zulurider

Carrier Planes Take Up Different Space?

Post by zulurider »

I noticed when I base Corsairs on one of my carriers (playing now in May, 1943), they take up twice the space as a squadron of Wildcats. Is there documentation about this? Or am I nuts?

I understand planes can vary in size, but didn't see anything about this in the manual, or on the aircraft window.
Puhis

RE: Carrier Planes Take Up Different Space?

Post by Puhis »

You are using plane model that is not carrier capable.
zulurider

Post by zulurider »

I thought I was using "carrier trained", but I will go back and take another look. Is this the only instance where a plane on a carrier takes up more space?

Thanks!
kkoovvoo

Post by kkoovvoo »

tm.asp?m=3711254&mpage=1&key=�

see especially last post :)
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

ORIGINAL: zulurider

I thought I was using "carrier trained", but I will go back and take another look. Is this the only instance where a plane on a carrier takes up more space?

Thanks!

Carrier trained unit can use plane that is not carrier capable. You have to check aircraft data if the plane model is actually a carrier plane.
zulurider

Post by zulurider »

Thanks, I did not realize that "Carrier trained unit can use plane that is not carrier capable. " I will check that out!
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

A mistake most Allied players make at least once is trying to put F4U-1s on a carrier. The -1 did not pass carrier qual and was not used as a carrier fighter. It's arresting gear was removed and the wings locked in the down position. If you do put them on a carrier, they will take up more space because of this. Additionally, you can fly them off to a base, but you can't operate them from a carrier.

The other versions of the Corsair were carrier qualled (capable) and can operate from carriers. All versions of the Hellcat and Wildcat are also carrier capable.

Similarly the Japanese have to watch their Zero use. At least one version of the Zero (there may be more, I don't recall at the moment) is not carrier capable and the Japanese player will run into the same problem. Some carrier aircraft should take up more space, such as the fixed wing SBD and early F4F compared to folding wing aircraft. However, the engine can't handle that.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
BattleMoose

Post by BattleMoose »

Carrier capable: Aircraft is able to fly ops on a Carrier.
Carrier trained: The squadron is able to effectively (and safely) fly operations on a carrier.

You need both.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Similarly the Japanese have to watch their Zero use. At least one version of the Zero (there may be more, I don't recall at the moment) is not carrier capable and the Japanese player will run into the same problem.

A6M3.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Return to “The War Room”