Training Levels

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

HexHead

Training Levels

Post by HexHead »

When I'm training air groups, does it make a real difference whether I Train at 100%? I have a lot set to 80 or 90, or even 70 percent, just to keep Fatigue down. Should I not consider this and just train everyone at 100%? I put 100 foot altitude GrBmb at 70%, for example, 'cuz it's dangerous.
"Goddamn it, they're gittin' away!!"
- unknown tincan sailor near the end of Leyte Gulf, when Kurita retired
Lokasenna

RE: Training Levels

Post by Lokasenna »

Generally, with completely filled units (100% + 33%), you can train at 100% and range 0 with no problems for fatigue.
HexHead

Post by HexHead »

OK, thx.
"Goddamn it, they're gittin' away!!"
- unknown tincan sailor near the end of Leyte Gulf, when Kurita retired
spence

Post by spence »

It seems to me that setting the training level to 100% and range to 0 works best to increase experience in the chosen field fastest.
CyrusSpitama

Post by CyrusSpitama »

With training squadrons set to 100% training I find I need to rest the squadrons for 2-3(average) days every couple of weeks (~15-20 fatigue). The large number of pilots gaining skills during those two weeks is more than worth the forced 2-3 days rest. Mind you, I only place 1-2 extra pilots in these training squadrons to ensure faster training. Having too many extra pilots slows down the overall skill gain because high(er) experienced pilots getting a few missions every week rarely see a gain compared to the *rookies* who rocket up in skill when forced to fly almost every day when you have very small numbers of extra pilots.

In fact, the only real drawback I see to these high intensity training program is with high maintenance planes. These types of planes might require an extra day or two more than say, a fighter with a rating of 1. This maintenance is offset by ensuring extra planes are added to the reserves.

Edit- range of zero is required to keep fatigue from rocketing up along with the skills training.
"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." - Arthur C. Clarke
koniu

Post by koniu »

In my PBEM I training always at 100%, range 0 with units 133% full, and during almost 700 turns i never have problem with fatigue. Usual fatigue is ~3-4.
Few times i accidentally change range above 0 and then fatigue go up but because i clean training units from trained pilots at lest once a week i usually find and fix range problem before it will impact morale.
I only place 1-2 extra pilots in these training squadrons to ensure faster training

When not filling unit to max 133% pilots number You training 25% less pilots and i am almost sure that when unit is only 100% full of pilots training is not 25% faster to compensate smaller number of pilots in training program.

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

Post by leehunt27@bloomberg.net »

Left mine at 70% training with zero range and seems to work well, no fatigue issues
John 21:25
CyrusSpitama

Post by CyrusSpitama »

ORIGINAL: koniu

In my PBEM I training always at 100%, range 0 with units 133% full, and during almost 700 turns i never have problem with fatigue. Usual fatigue is ~3-4.
Few times i accidentally change range above 0 and then fatigue go up but because i clean training units from trained pilots at lest once a week i usually find and fix range problem before it will impact morale.
I only place 1-2 extra pilots in these training squadrons to ensure faster training

When not filling unit to max 133% pilots number You training 25% less pilots and i am almost sure that when unit is only 100% full of pilots training is not 25% faster to compensate smaller number of pilots in training program.

I tried to explain what I meant previously but I suppose it needs another go-round. I did not insinuate any sort of training bonus but rather why my results appear quicker.

With almost no extra pilots in the squadron, nearly every pilot in the group is forced to do their *dice rolls* daily. This means these pilots successfully making their rolls will not only get a chance at training more often, this also means more fatigue generation. I have covered the fatigue issues well enough I think. On to the training... With many extra pilots in the squad, their fatigue is less of an issue, BUT often multiple pilots will go several days without flying due to a combination of, their turn to rest while extras fly and failed die rolls. It is this reason that I say, "training is faster with my setup".

I initially tried the full squadrons method of training pilots and found it took far too long to train the many pilots due to all of the resting and pilot bleedoff. This isn't R&R, this is highly focused training classes. I am cranking out multiple full squadrons worth of pilots with exp 50-60 and as many three primary skill at 60+ in about 2 months time. I can(and do in practice) bleed small amounts of these pilots off during the war due to frontline losses, slightly slowing down the class training times. With a full pilot attachment, I cannot possibly see you training the numbers of skilled pilots in less than 1.5x the time mine takes allowing for these pilot bleed offs. The key to beating the bad dice rolls is rolling the dice again and they key to faster training is flying every day possible.

It is a given you might generate a handful more pilots during your training session/class than my method, assuming no bleedoff of pilots, but practically speaking, I am bleeding pilots out of these groups continuously. I MUST get them trained in their primary skill (at least) in the shortest time possible to keep the front lines adequately manned. Having extra pilots taking up valuable training time simply does not appear to be the most efficienct. Bacause of pilot losses draining these classes the students will take much longer to finish their studies than in ideal situations. One thing the slower method probably yields is better experience but again, I need pilots now, not next month. A few frontline missions and my pilots experience should easily match or surpass yours, assuming they survive the encounter.

It is my frontline squadrons I keep fully manned(once I have enough pilots trained) because up there, the pilots desperately need the rest.
"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." - Arthur C. Clarke
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

I see a lot of discussion about high levels of training with the zero range. What does this do to airframe fatigue? I'm a newbie to playing, but I see a LOT of high airframe fatigue for almost all of my squadrons.

Does this matter for a training squadron? Will I have planes start falling out of the sky?
Right now (May 1942) I'm using the state side squadrons that leave in 1942 as training squadrons and not caring about the airframes.

ALSO - Is there a way to get ground crews to start working on aircraft fatigue? I can have a base with lots of supplies, more support than it needs, a stood down squadron and the planes with 20-30 fatigue just sit there.
Bill Goin
margeorg

Post by margeorg »

Hello wegman58,

there seems to be some airframe fatigue, but in 4 PBEMs with hundreds of turns I have yet to loose more than 2-3 airframes (in total!) during training. So this really is not a factor ...
Cheers
Martin
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: wegman58

I see a lot of discussion about high levels of training with the zero range. What does this do to airframe fatigue? I'm a newbie to playing, but I see a LOT of high airframe fatigue for almost all of my squadrons.

Does this matter for a training squadron? Will I have planes start falling out of the sky?
Right now (May 1942) I'm using the state side squadrons that leave in 1942 as training squadrons and not caring about the airframes.

ALSO - Is there a way to get ground crews to start working on aircraft fatigue? I can have a base with lots of supplies, more support than it needs, a stood down squadron and the planes with 20-30 fatigue just sit there.

Use range zero. Any other range results in pilot fatique and increased a/c fatique.

Just like your car the more you use it the more stress put on in. You may have one item repaired after a breakdown but that still leaves the rest of the car with fatigue. Repairing that one item will reduce the overall fatigue but it's a small part. This process is built into the game. Fatique is reduced very slowly if stood down but normal ops exceeds it, whatever normal use is.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

As Lokasenna says there is no reason not to train at 100%. Set range to zero and have a good leader and you should be good to go. Once a month, I just list all air units and rank them by morale lowest to highest. The few that have dropped in morale, you can then just shut down for a few days. But why not train at 100% if you can?

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

My rule of thumb is 90% training and 0 range. Using these settings I have never had a problem with fatigue.
When the situation demands it I go to 100% and keep tabs by checking every few turns.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”