[RELEASED] Operation Charming Truth, 1985 -- new beta for testing

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Mgellis

[RELEASED] Operation Charming Truth, 1985 -- new beta for testing

Post by Mgellis »

Newest beta for testing. It's 1985 and a coup in Sudan has turned into widespread violence. You must evacuate Americans from Sudan. The only assets you have available are a task force based around the LSD Fort Fisher and some aircraft from CVW 8 that have been detached from their carrier and are being temporarily based out of a nearby Saudi air base.

First you have to make sure a truck convoy with Americans gets safely to a coastal village and then you have to send in landing craft to transfer them to the Fort Fisher. Sudan would have no chance of beating you on the open sea. However, they've got plenty of old but reliable Soviet artillery and that is certainly enough to put some hurt on a bunch of trucks or a few LCUs!

As always, please let me know what you think. Comments, suggestions, observations about little details like which platforms are being used, etc. are all welcome. Thanks!

Attachments
Operation..th1985.zip
(50.72 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Coiler12

RE: Operation Charming Truth, 1985 -- new beta for testing

Post by Coiler12 »

Oof. Convoy was taken out. Only military loss was an A-7 downed by SA-7s when attacking the force in front of the village, but a tank platoon reached the convoy and destroyed it. One option may be to make the convoy under the player's control, so you can try to steer it around enemy units. Another may be to spread it out so that getting one group of trucks doesn't lead to the scenario being failed.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: Coiler12

Oof. Convoy was taken out. Only military loss was an A-7 downed by SA-7s when attacking the force in front of the village, but a tank platoon reached the convoy and destroyed it. One option may be to make the convoy under the player's control, so you can try to steer it around enemy units. Another may be to spread it out so that getting one group of trucks doesn't lead to the scenario being failed.

One challenge in the scenario is that you've got to find and eliminate the threats to the convoy...some of them can't be avoided; they have to be eliminated. But you do have enough firepower to do it. You just have to be careful about how you use it.

Flankerk

Post by Flankerk »

Managed a major victory on first outing, thought all worked well, I struggled to identify all threats in time and managed to kill a neutral.
The timing was certainly tight, not too sure on the LCU's, these inevitably get to shore way after the civilians.
I think the only thing that did slightly cross my mind was whether the zone to head to would be better marked on the map?

At times very tense especially as the ground strikes are going in.

"Alas poor Yorick,I knew him Horatio"

#1 Quote of the Harpoon Community.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Any more comments or suggestions? Or is this ready to be submitted to the Community Scenario Pack? Thanks.

Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Is this ready for release?
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Already released. I just checked the Community Scenario Pack on my computer.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”