My Axis first turn basics

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Ketza

My Axis first turn basics

Post by Ketza »

With 1.08 coming out and a plethora of new games starting because of it (hopefully)I thought I would start a thread on some of my opening moves for information as well as for picking apart by the experts.

I am a big fan of keeping units within HQ range. As most Axis players do I reinforce AGS. Rather then moving a corps from AGC I release 3 or 4 divisions to OKH. You can only do this if you move OKH within range so I rail it down to Poland. If you get some good rolls it should cost less then 10 aps. If you move a whole corps from AGC it messes up the command structure and may cost up to 16 aps in one whack.

When it comes time later in the first turn attack I attach these divisions to Panzer corps in AGS. The 2 Panzer corps in AGS that are active have very strong SUs attached.

I always remember to attach any SUS from the AGC corps first as once they are in OKH you cannot move them. The flamepanzer battalions get attached to a Motorized divisions. The MG and pioneer battalions go to Panzer divisions.

Attachments
noobiethread0.jpg
noobiethread0.jpg (263.61 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Ketza

RE: My Axis first turn basics

Post by Ketza »

These SUs give the Panzers a little extra punch as well as a little extra to defend with.

Attachments
noobiethread1.jpg
noobiethread1.jpg (177.75 KiB) Viewed 345 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Next I give the Panzer corps a little extra go juice. Its important to not accidently use your fighters when you do this or over do it with your Ju-52s.

Attachments
noobiethread3.jpg
noobiethread3.jpg (83.07 KiB) Viewed 354 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Fuel = yum

Do not fly any fighters. You will need them for shooting down the Russians later. Deselect them after you choose the fuel option. Any Soviet fighters that fly will be ineffective.

Attachments
noobiethread4.jpg
noobiethread4.jpg (199.29 KiB) Viewed 346 times
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Why the pz with OKH?
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

That comes later. They will get moved to AGS Panzer corps. Moving them to OKH costs less APS which are at a premium. When you attach them later in the turn they will be free moves.
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

You have one group of J-52s in reserve. Put them in the AGN Luftwaffe group. You will need them here for the next few turns. The AGN Ju-52 groups start off mostly damaged.

Attachments
noobiethread5.jpg
noobiethread5.jpg (225.74 KiB) Viewed 347 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Before I fly fuel to 4th Panzer group I remove the 2 infantry divisions. I put one in 1st Corp 18th army and 1 in 2nd corps 16th army. I think this saves on the distribution of some fuel for turns 2 and 3 and keeps more gas with the Panzers. Turn 3 you will need every drop you can get.

Attachments
noobiethread6.jpg
noobiethread6.jpg (216.48 KiB) Viewed 346 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Now fly the fuel in. You don't have that many Ju-52s up here. Use them wisely. As you can see in the corner I still have 14 APS left after moving 5 divisions and several SUs to where they are better organized.

Attachments
noobiethread7.jpg
noobiethread7.jpg (257.17 KiB) Viewed 347 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

After I fly all the fuel and make my most costly AP moves I adjust the toe of Art, AA and AT support units. Adjusting this downward helps the divisions keep at full strength over time by funneling arms to them instead of the SUs. Here I have adjusted the toe to 75%. Every now and again I will raise or lower this number depending on the overall situation.

With the allied nations I eventually drop their toes down to almost zero.

Attachments
noobiethread8.jpg
noobiethread8.jpg (201.4 KiB) Viewed 346 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Here is what I adjust the air screen to. I keep interdiction high on fighters and low on bombers early to try and nab some extra Soviet fighters the first few turns. I crank up interception to shoot down as many Soviet planes as possible turn one.

Attachments
noobiethread9.jpg
noobiethread9.jpg (87.86 KiB) Viewed 355 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

I usually pick my first attack are to be near Swalki along the operational boundries of 9th army and 3rd panzer group. This is where I make my initial penetration to cut off "rout" points. I bring up a sec division and a 9th army division from the rear.

The goal here is to punch a hole and make a corridor for a motorized division to go on a rampage.

Attachments
noobiethread10.jpg
noobiethread10.jpg (199.06 KiB) Viewed 351 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Pow right in the kisser! You should make as many attacks along the border as possible with the low morale divisions. Victories are easy and the morale gains are quick.

Attachments
noobiethread11.jpg
noobiethread11.jpg (297.98 KiB) Viewed 351 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

After 2 attacks the result is pretty good. One retreat and one rout to a rout point that's within a future pocket.

Attachments
noobiethread12.jpg
noobiethread12.jpg (265.24 KiB) Viewed 350 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

So now mop up the forts and hope to shoot down some Soviet planes in the process. 16 here pretty good. If you make the mistake of bombing the airfileds at the beginning of the turn you wont get all these juicy kills for your fighters to build morale and experience.

Attachments
noobiethread13.jpg
noobiethread13.jpg (288.49 KiB) Viewed 350 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Now the security boys can mop up the next fort to get a little more exp. Eventually a few sec divisions may be called upon to hold a part of the line. Its always good to get them exp and morale when you can early.

Attachments
noobiethread14.jpg
noobiethread14.jpg (173.54 KiB) Viewed 350 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Here we have our hole blown open for phase 2 of the breach. This division only got to 57 morale after 4 wins. Kind of a disappointment.

Attachments
noobiethread15.jpg
noobiethread15.jpg (200.08 KiB) Viewed 350 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Now we move 2 divisions from 20th corp to assault the reserve Soviet tank division. We want a retreat here.

Attachments
noobiethread17.jpg
noobiethread17.jpg (170.56 KiB) Viewed 350 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

We got a retreat and the Motorized division scoots through the gap. Its destination is to rampage around and capture rout points.

Attachments
noobiethread18.jpg
noobiethread18.jpg (158.63 KiB) Viewed 350 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Red circles are what needs to flip. Black circles are fine rout points. If you attack along the border too early or out of sequence the black circles fill up too soon and units rout to the red circles where you are going to go eventually on turn one. This bounces the Soviet units deeper away and they escape.

Attachments
noobiethread19.jpg
noobiethread19.jpg (191.6 KiB) Viewed 350 times

Return to “The War Room”