How well does this game model the actual SCW?

Ageod’s upcoming strategy game España: 1936 covers the entire Spanish Civil War from 1936-1939. With more than 200 regions, cities, roads, weapons factories, weather types, factions and sub-factions it is one of the few games to ever examine the period.
berto

How well does this game model the actual SCW?

Post by berto »

With recent patches, does this game manage to simulate continous, non-porous, static front lines? (Are recent adjustments to TEAW being retro-fitted to Espana?) Or is the action anachronistically overly fluid, more akin to that in earlier period, pre 20th century AGEOD games (ACW, ROP, etc.)?
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Emx77

RE: How well does this game model the actual SCW?

Post by Emx77 »

I would like to get answer to these questions too. Now, when game is on sale, I'm considering buying it. However, low forum activity is rising concerns.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

It is a sort of port of RUS - Revolution Under Siege.

I just bought it because I liked Beevor's book, I go to Spain quite often, and I like that this was pretty much a one man effort, and it doesn't cost much more than a couple of pizzas.

But I doubt it will get the enhancements berto wants.

There is a Spanish Civil War scenario in Hearts of Iron, and I think there was one done for Advanced Tactics if it is just the setting you are interested in.
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

Not sure they have ever done any patches on the game, so not sure it gets much support.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
Symple

Post by Symple »

Actually, several patches. You may need to check the AGEOD forum as I do not think they have appeared on the Matrix forum.

This game is a solid simulation of the events and conditions of the Spanish Civil War. So good use of trenches, but also fluid, if you will.

There is low forum activity, but do not use this to judge the game. It is simply not the American Civil War nor World War II. Good topic, but off the main stream.

I am not actually familiar with Berto's critique of ROP and such as being too fluid. To me they are too static. In Espana, the historical entrenchments of Madrid and several northern cities add deep defenses.
Gizuria

Post by Gizuria »

However, low forum activity is rising concerns.

Ha. AGEOD gamers tend to play their games rather than post about them.[;)]
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

España: 1936 is a very well-made little game and over all it is an excellent and a cost-effective way to get to know and enter the AGEOD game system.
bacurson

Post by bacurson »

I just bought this game via the Matrix sale ... what a nice find. I really did not know much about this period of history and the game now has me so immersed that I am reading some background history.

It is hard to understand why this game stayed under the radar and did not sell better. It is well constructed with a scale that is not exhaustive but with a very good game play depth of logic.

I highly recommend it and hope that this game's threads see more activity in the future.

Return to “España: 1936”