Possible bug - nuclear depth charge

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

ojms

Possible bug - nuclear depth charge

Post by ojms »

Hi,

I've found a possible bug when you drop a nuclear depth charge too close to a friendly ship that will be destroyed as well.

Perhaps there could be a fix to prevent this?

Please play the attached scenario for around 1 minute for it to show the issue.
Attachments
Scenarios.zip
(151.24 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mikmykWS

RE: Possible bug - nuclear depth charge

Post by mikmykWS »

What exactly did you see?

I've run this a couple times here's what I'm seeing.

1. Hit. Sub and ship destroyed. Both are in proximity of the blast so they get destroyed. Victory message and end scenario comes up as it been designed to do in the event editor.

2. Weapon malfunction, no detonation. Sub later killed by other weapons.

Thanks!

Mike

ojms

Post by ojms »

Hi Mike,

Number 1. What I would have thought is that the helicopter wouldn't have dropped the weapon as it would have known the destroyer was in the kill zone of the nuke?

Thanks
scottb613

Post by scottb613 »

Hi...

I'm not sure about the actual scenario but sometimes you have to sacrafice your own troops for the bigger strategic picture... While before my time - some US subs carried nuclear torpedoes - and - the stories were still told when I was in - that if you launched one you could kiss your own butt goodbye as well... I never really looked into it - so maybe it was just a sea story...
:)

Regards,
Scott
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: ojms

Hi Mike,

Number 1. What I would have thought is that the helicopter wouldn't have dropped the weapon as it would have known the destroyer was in the kill zone of the nuke?

Thanks

Thats a good point but the game doesn't currently calculate for things in blast areas because its variable. As Scott pointed out there are also cases in the logic where the loss might be unavoidable/acceptable.

Added this to our list of things to think about it. Its a good thought!

M

ojms

Post by ojms »

Hi,

Yeah definitely, for me I can't decide which way would be best. The issue that is winning me over to preventing it within the code is that in this case it was automated by the ASW patrol rather than by user action. Imagine this scenario:

1. Goblin located and identified as hostile within 1km of your carrier.
2. Helicopter or ship launched nuclear torpedo/depth charge detonates.
3. Carrier (and other ships) taken out.

If this was all done automatically within the ASW patrol mission you wouldn't know until it was too late.

Perhaps it could simply prevent from launching, similar to how an LGB won't launch unless it detects the laser (sometimes due to weather).

Cheers!
chrisol

Post by chrisol »

I think i read recently (in Cold War Submarines ?) that the USN joked that their nuclear torpedoes had a PK (probability of kill) of 2 (!) because of the near certain destruction of the firing submarine...

(Joking, i'm sure !)

Chris

Return to “Tech Support”