Finally German Victory (vs AI)

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

mooreshawnm

Finally German Victory (vs AI)

Post by mooreshawnm »

I have owned the game since it came out. Played half a dozen times as the axis until half way through the first
winter and then quit due to what I considered a horribly unrealistic blizzard. (It was WIR all over again but at
least in WIR you could always defeat the Soviets prior to the first winter.)

My son and I played .13 through '44 and were winning but lost the game in a computer death. This time it was .15
with reduced blizzard, random weather and sudden death. Beginning of the first winter we were at 2 mil prisoners.
2.5 by the end of the winter and 5.5 at the end of Mar '43 when victory conditions were met. He controlled the
Fins, AGN and rear security. He had taken the southern suburbs of Leningrad by winter's beginning and linked up
with the Fins by winter's end Leningrad reduced by the beginning of the summer of '42. In AGC we tried the 'don't
encircle them just drive 'em east' plan and for the first 5 -7 turns I was impressed with the German infantry ability
to keep up with the armor. In the south it was the Lvov plus aggressive pocketing until Kharkov and then the line was
straightened and the armor was sent north. The line was kept short enough the first winter where all mech forces
were able to be pulled off the line and the second winter the mech and Romanian/Italian forces were not needed.

Thoughts on the latest patch. We never would have won this game against a human opponent. The first winter was perfect.
The majority of the line held with only minor retreats and there were huge gaps between the army groups where the AI
found weak points and exploited. During the first winter an entire German army around Tula was continually being
encircled along with 1.5 Korps to the east of Kharkov. Only the freed up Panzers were able to save the situation and
eventually pocket large numbers of Soviet troops. The AI did not know when to cut his loses and stop an offensive.
Whether this is realistic at this point in the war or not is irrelevant because the number of opportunities for pockets
is great with the aggressive AI. A human would have broken out of many of the pockets and probably would have turned
the table more than once. Anyway we had a blast. It felt real and I discovered my son is a bean counter. He'd spend
30 mi per turn looking at the unit details. Look forward to both the next patch and WITW!!!

swkuh

RE: Finally German Victory (vs AI)

Post by swkuh »

HAH! great post.

Will appreciate your further comments, in re whatever.

Curious as to how you negotiated distribution of force betwixt army groups?
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Grats
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

Very nice post [:)]

I really like the idea of playing as a team.

Unfortunatly I have 3 daughters...
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”