Naval Upgrades question.

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

AlbertN

Naval Upgrades question.

Post by AlbertN »

Some ships are "upgrades" of previous ones.
I've got a few questions and need to see if I got the rest straight.

If the ship has never been built, is removed - and the upgraded token is replaced in the Force pool.
If the ship has got to the construction pool, is removed - and the upgraded token is replaced there.
If the ship is on map or in the repair pool, it is removed, and the upgraded token goes to the construction pool.

If the ship is on the production spyral - (1st or 2nd cycle) - the "upgraded" version replaces the ship in the spyral or gets back to the related pool (Respectively Force or Construction)?

If I refuse an upgrade in its scheduled year, can I choose to upgrade it later? If so, how?

If there are two options - such as Shinano (Carrier with 3 and 6 Airplane Factor) - how exactly it works? (I've still to get there, but almost there in my first game. I'd like to plan ahead!)
Courtenay

RE: Naval Upgrades question.

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: Cohen

If the ship has never been built, is removed - and the upgraded token is replaced in the Force pool.
If the ship has got to the construction pool, is removed - and the upgraded token is replaced there.
If the ship is on map or in the repair pool, it is removed, and the upgraded token goes to the construction pool.

If the ship is on the production spyral - (1st or 2nd cycle) - the "upgraded" version replaces the ship in the spyral or gets back to the related pool (Respectively Force or Construction)?

If I refuse an upgrade in its scheduled year, can I choose to upgrade it later? If so, how?

If there are two options - such as Shinano (Carrier with 3 and 6 Airplane Factor) - how exactly it works? (I've still to get there, but almost there in my first game. I'd like to plan ahead!)
Almost. If the unit is on the first cycle of the production circle, the replacement unit is placed in the force pool. (Don't do this.)

Yes, you can do this later. During production, there is a button on the production screen that will bring up available replacement naval units. See picture.

If there is more than one choice, say yes to the one you want, and no to the one you don't.

There are three online manuals. To find out information, pick a word that is key to the rule. (In this case, replacement.) Search for that word. You will rapidly find the relevant rule. This is what I did to find this information. (No, I don't have all this memorized.)

Attachments
ProdScreen2.jpg
ProdScreen2.jpg (321.96 KiB) Viewed 111 times
I thought I knew how to play this game....
warspite1

RE: Naval Upgrades question.

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

ORIGINAL: Cohen

Almost. If the unit is on the first cycle of the production circle, the replacement unit is placed in the force pool. (Don't do this.)

Yes, you can do this later. During production, there is a button on the production screen that will bring up available replacement naval units. See picture.

If there is more than one choice, say yes to the one you want, and no to the one you don't.

There are three online manuals. To find out information, pick a word that is key to the rule. (In this case, replacement.) Search for that word. You will rapidly find the relevant rule. This is what I did to find this information. (No, I don't have all this memorized.)

warspite1

I think I am right in saying I was asked one after the other which I wanted. I said no to historical Shinano and I am pretty sure ahistorical Shinano then came up as an option.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Omnius

Two Ships of the Same Name

Post by Omnius »

I thought that in the board game if we chose an upgrade that the original ship would be taken out of the force pool. I now have two Shinanos, one a carrier and the other the battleship. Is this something that will be corrected in a future fix?

Omnius
paulderynck

RE: Two Ships of the Same Name

Post by paulderynck »

You mean both are available to be built?
Paul
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Omnius

I thought that in the board game if we chose an upgrade that the original ship would be taken out of the force pool. I now have two Shinanos, one a carrier and the other the battleship. Is this something that will be corrected in a future fix?

Omnius
warspite1

Strange... AARseIV seems to be working normally. Ahistorical Shinano is on map, ahistorical Karyu is in production. Both their battleship and historical carrier versions are showing as removed.

Attachments
AAAA.jpg
AAAA.jpg (557.12 KiB) Viewed 111 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

And here is the battleship variant - also removed.

Attachments
AAAA.jpg
AAAA.jpg (543.98 KiB) Viewed 111 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

And none of the ships are available for building.

Where are you seeing the ships in your game Omnius? And which version of upgrade did you choose?

Attachments
AAAA.jpg
AAAA.jpg (368.33 KiB) Viewed 111 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Omnius any update on this please?

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

No? Okay Ominus, I'll assume that was a mistake and no bug here.

Omnius

I've got both

Post by Omnius »

warspite1,
In my game I was asked if I wanted to upgrade the Shinano and I said yes. I built the carrier version but was also able to build the BB version too. The BB was not correctly deleted from my available builds and that was in 1.207. Perhaps in 1.215 that's been fixed but it wasn't in 1.207.

Omnius
Omnius

Definitely a bug

Post by Omnius »

warspite1,
Sorry I didn't see this reply earlier but I was busy playing the game. I was able to build both Shinanos, one the carrier and the other the BB. I did it in version 1.207 so it may be fixed in 1.215.

Omnius
warspite1

Naval Upgrades Question

Post by warspite1 »

May be sensible to check when you install a later version. As far as I can tell there is not an issue any longer - although having said that, I never noticed an issue previously - I will double check the German ships in my current game too. I have upgraded both so will check whether the 11-inch versions are still available.

warspite1

RE: Naval Upgrades Question

Post by warspite1 »

Just checked. I have upgraded both of the ugly sisters.

The 11-inch versions duly show as being removed from the game.

Attachments
aaaa.jpg
aaaa.jpg (319.08 KiB) Viewed 111 times

Return to “World in Flames”