Opinions on WOTY Steam Release

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

pdanders

RE: WOTY Steam Release

Post by pdanders »

I'm not surprised sales on Steam are great; I buy almost all my games via Steam and seeing this game released there at a bit lower price pushed me over the edge and I certainly don't regret it. The game is great, and I think many people here are exaggerating how "complicated" it is. Sure the simulation aspect is very sophisticated, but the UI is very good and the game is IMO easier to pick up than Harpoon even though it's quite a bit more complex and full featured. Games like Hearts of Iron and Europa Universalis sell very well and they are IMO much more difficult to get into than CMANO with much more vexing interfaces.

A lot of pricing is emotional. Even though $60 and $80 don't seem that different they are IMO perceived very differently by the average game consumer. $60 is a standard price for a top tier newly released game, and seeing CMANO at that price doesn't "feel" overly expensive or out of place. However the $80 price really jumps out at you because almost no games are priced that high (although if you count DLC many games go for more, but again most people don't think that way) and people have an emotional response that the price is unreasonable.

I think you guys were very smart to go in at $60 on Steam, I honestly don't think you would have any more sales at lower price points until you reach the $40 dollar range (which is the next "jump" that game consumers will perceive as a meaningful price difference)

I'm really glad to see Matrix experimenting at least a little bit with some different pricing and distribution ideas. I honestly don't think many of these games are as "niche" as people think they are and I think sales of CMANO will bear that out.

TupeT

Post by TupeT »

Couldn't agree more with pdanders. One reason I was put off from buying Command Ops: Bulge when it came out really was the pricing. Same thing with CMANO. 60$ really is a lot less than 80$ mentally. Around 50 euros used to be the norm for new games years ago, and I payed few euros over 50 for this in Steam. 70-80 euros, on the other hand, would be way too much.

I'm happy as well that Matrix is trying new strategies when it comes to distribution and pricing.
magi

Post by magi »

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Our sales there have been great[:)] So doesn't appear to be an issue.

Mike

the game is not priced to high...... the database is worth two-three times the price of the game....
the game is simply not for the mean group of computers gamers... it takes a certain level of time and intellectual dedication to play CMANO...... unfortunately most people are intellectually lazy..... this is the same reason, generally people are so poorly informed on any given issue.... its unfortunate but just the way it is.......
magi

Post by magi »

you know.... reading these posts.... this is great news for you Matrix guys..... good for you.....
solops

Post by solops »

ORIGINAL: magi

the game is not priced to high...... the database is worth two-three times the price of the game....
the game is simply not for the mean group of computers gamers... it takes a certain level of time and intellectual dedication to play CMANO...... unfortunately most people are intellectually lazy..... this is the same reason, generally people are so poorly informed on any given issue.... its unfortunate but just the way it is.......

+1
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
VilleYrjola

Post by VilleYrjola »

I honestly think that Steam forums should be shut down for this game and many others. They draw a lot of people who have absolutely nothing to add to the community and all they do is whine and troll. A link to this forum should suffice. I hope from the bottom of my heart that the devs don't pay any attention to that landfill and keep doing things the way they are doing them now. For example Kerbal Space Program's dev cycle has slowed after each update. It was not like that before Steam release. After weeks of groaning and moaning on the Steam forums developers decided to drop some hugely anticipated features in favor of smaller ones that would've been done down the line eventually. The reason for this was (or it seemed to be) hordes of people who didn't know what they were getting into and started demanding mundane things so loudly that features that the game so desperately needed are still yet to be delivered.

People who actually have something useful to say will find their way here and open up on the issues they find pressing. Steam trolls won't bother and stay quite happily where they are.

Sorry for the possible typos, writing with iPad isn't the easiest thing out there.
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

ORIGINAL: Rosmarus

I honestly think that Steam forums should be shut down for this game and many others. They draw a lot of people who have absolutely nothing to add to the community and all they do is whine and troll. A link to this forum should suffice. I hope from the bottom of my heart that the devs don't pay any attention to that landfill and keep doing things the way they are doing them now. For example Kerbal Space Program's dev cycle has slowed after each update. It was not like that before Steam release. After weeks of groaning and moaning on the Steam forums developers decided to drop some hugely anticipated features in favor of smaller ones that would've been done down the line eventually. The reason for this was (or it seemed to be) hordes of people who didn't know what they were getting into and started demanding mundane things so loudly that features that the game so desperately needed are still yet to be delivered.

People who actually have something useful to say will find their way here and open up on the issues they find pressing. Steam trolls won't bother and stay quite happily where they are.

Sorry for the possible typos, writing with iPad isn't the easiest thing out there.

In my opinion, your post is spot on correct.

We will see, and are seeing, a decided up-tick in visitors to these forums. I suspect many if not most are new buyers via Steam, and that is a very good thing for the product.

However, it is not without a potential downside as you point out. While a healthy percentage of new players will completely understand this game, there is inevitably going to be a small but vocal minority that won't be satisfied until CMANO looks like a game of boats and planes set in a My Little Pony environment. And once they get want they want, or not, that's the last you'll see of them.

I am optimistic that the "Steam Trolls" as you call them won't last on these forums; equally optimistic that the obtuse requests will end up in the bit bucket where they belong.

Regards,
Feltan

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”