AI Improvement Mod (1.05 Extended Release)

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Franky007

RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.02 Release)

Post by Franky007 »

Let's not forget that theses numbers are not set in stone.
They are there for flavor.

Who can say that it should be 75% or 66%, this is sci-fi !

[;)]
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: Icemania
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Spaceports defending a colony will push when enemy troop transport gets too close in an attempt to prevent them from dropping invading troops at the colony
I've tested Spaceport tractor beams (with no other tactics set) by attacking with troop transports only and observed:

(a) Once in range of the tractor beam of the Spaceport pulls in the troop transports ... helping the invasion!
(b) Once the troop transport is extremely close then the tractor beam stops pulling but does not push away
(c) In a surprise attack (no relationship diplomatic situation) the tractor beams did not activate at all until after the troop transport had already landed troops

Spaceport tractor beams should push away, not hold, as soon as a troop transport is in range. This should apply for all diplomatic relationships except for a Mutual Defence Pact (where there should be a massive diplomatic penalty for a surprise attack).

Does anyone know if this was fixed from beta to patch?
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: Tanaka
Spaceports defending a colony will push when enemy troop transport gets too close in an attempt to prevent them from dropping invading troops at the colony
I've tested Spaceport tractor beams (with no other tactics set) by attacking with troop transports only and observed:

(a) Once in range of the tractor beam of the Spaceport pulls in the troop transports ... helping the invasion!
(b) Once the troop transport is extremely close then the tractor beam stops pulling but does not push away
(c) In a surprise attack (no relationship diplomatic situation) the tractor beams did not activate at all until after the troop transport had already landed troops

Spaceport tractor beams should push away, not hold, as soon as a troop transport is in range. This should apply for all diplomatic relationships except for a Mutual Defence Pact (where there should be a massive diplomatic penalty for a surprise attack).

Does anyone know if this was fixed from beta to patch?
It's unchanged as far as I know.
Icemania

RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.03 Release)

Post by Icemania »

I've updated with Version 1.03 please refer to the minor changes in the changelog per the OP. Now that busy season at work is over I've become hooked on Endless Legend and there are some other interesting games around the corner such as Beyond Earth. I don't plan to make any other changes to the Mod.

fruitgnome

Post by fruitgnome »

THX for your great work!
catweasel

Post by catweasel »

I'm 10+ hours into a new game, based on 1.02 (set to hard, 12 races, pirates set to weak, I have a military power of around 2500, rather defensive stance).

What I noticed:
- very strong pirate factions (100+ ships, 20'000 firepower)
- some races have very low stenght numbers (300-700)
- some races seem not to build up their military at all (0 strenght)

Am I supossed to see such values?
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: catweasel

I'm 10+ hours into a new game, based on 1.02 (set to hard, 12 races, pirates set to weak, I have a military power of around 2500, rather defensive stance).

What I noticed:
- very strong pirate factions (100+ ships, 20'000 firepower)
- some races have very low stenght numbers (300-700)
- some races seem not to build up their military at all (0 strenght)

Am I supossed to see such values?
The AI's are generally more aggressive so I would expect to see races with low strength representing those that have lost engagements but also AI's with much higher strength than Vanilla.

The AI's remain fairly weak at dealing with Pirates. There is nothing more I can do here unfortunately; however, increased difficulty will help the AI. Hard is for wimps anyway! [:D]

Azuran

Post by Azuran »

Are you the same Icemania the modded Armada 2526 in the Nitronium forums along time ago?
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: Azuran
Are you the same Icemania the modded Armada 2526 in the Nitronium forums along time ago?
No this is my first Mod Azuran. Let the other Icemania know he/she stole my nickname! [:)]
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

I've updated with Version 1.03 please refer to the minor changes in the changelog per the OP. Now that busy season at work is over I've become hooked on Endless Legend and there are some other interesting games around the corner such as Beyond Earth. I don't plan to make any other changes to the Mod.

Thanks for the update Ice! I see what you changed but what actual files were changed for 1.03? The help file and the...? Do you mean you don't plan to make anymore changes until another official update?
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

The files changed were the race files and the help files in the Extended version. I don't plan on making any more changes at all unless somebody detects a bug with the mod ... plenty of other games to play at the moment. If there is something cool in a patch, well maybe.
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

The files changed were the race files and the help files in the Extended version. I don't plan on making any more changes at all unless somebody detects a bug with the mod ... plenty of other games to play at the moment. If there is something cool in a patch, well maybe.

Some great fixes DW is still alive! Anything cool enough? :)

Hello Everyone,

The Distant Worlds 1.9.5.9 Beta Update is now available for testing for Registered owners through our Members Club. You may download it from Here.

This build will hopefully be available an official update next week.

This build has the following changes from 1.9.5.8:

CRASH FIXES
- fixed crash when viewing newly conquered colony

BUG FIXES

- fixed bug where games would not start when more than 256 components defined
- ensure characters with random appearance order now work properly, even when many custom characters defined and many random appearance orders used
- ensure Shakturi always properly use custom design templates when available

SHIP DESIGN

- added new flee when setting: Armor 50% or Shields 20% (also supported in design template files: use setting Armor50 for optional FleeWhen)

MODDING

- increased maximum number of research projects from 1000 to 1500
- increased maximum number of components from 300 to 500

OTHER

- AI now more careful about selecting location for characters with demoralizing trait, may dismiss character (when characters automated)
- increased range at which spaceport tractor beams will push away invading troop transports. Spaceports will now also push away transports even when not primary target
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Double post ... see below!
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: Tanaka
Anything cool enough? :)
Nope.

Have you tested the spaceport tractor beams?

Bingeling

RE: Possible AI Improvement Mod

Post by Bingeling »

I started a game with the beyond mod, and this one seems to be included (and to be the guilty one).

The Research Station setup seems rather useless. 2 research labs? If the AI or a poor human wants to direct research, this is of little use. I intended to use automated designs and had to design my own energy research station before I had a single ship in space.
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

I confirm that labs amt was unchanged and integrated as is into Beyond. But I think it was intended part by Icemania because of AI benefits such design could provide, but I am not sure. As I think that AI mod is must have beneficial part to any mod I did not any changes in ship design department. (Except 2 special beyond races and those changes are very subtle there (more stuff and sensors for Dlakar because of ship size and special cloaking for Archei due sizes and unique mirror units)
Alien Immersion (WIP) : tm.asp?m=3651979
Beyond Extended Universe (WIP): tm.asp?m=3657646
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

I started a game with the beyond mod, and this one seems to be included (and to be the guilty one).

The Research Station setup seems rather useless. 2 research labs? If the AI or a poor human wants to direct research, this is of little use. I intended to use automated designs and had to design my own energy research station before I had a single ship in space.
It's exactly as designed and there are a few posts discussing this earlier in the thread. The focus of the mod is to help the AI. If you watch the Vanilla AI you will notice that it is extremely imbalanced in the research fields depending on how many Research Stations are built. In particular they often focus far too heavily on Energy Research (consider the long game) which means they can't compete in other ways e.g. weapons, wonders etc.

By putting more of the labs in Spaceports the AI becomes far more consistent. There remains variety in what labs are built as appropriate to the race but you will not have AI's that are completely imbalanced.

Playing myself I use the Research Stations designs in the Mod for the location bonuses and have the labs I need from the Spaceports anyway (and modify as needed to adjust the balance).

I wish I could mod to avoid overbuilding labs mid to late game but there is no way I can mod that without handicapping the AI early game.

The other option you have is to modify the templates to suit your own preferences but I would recommend caution on the impact that will have on AI performance.

Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

OK, so the labs are wasted money (that the AI will spend), but at least they don't screw up their overall research? That is an improvement, I guess...
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Yes it is an improvement. Put Vanilla on full auto and watch them on 4X speed for a few games and you'll see what I mean.
Shogouki

Post by Shogouki »

Will you make anymore adjustments as the Research Reloaded goes through its phases?

Return to “Design and Modding”