Research Reloaded - [DWU][WIP][beta soon] New huge research tree, new everything

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Unreal2004

RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research tree, new everything...

Post by Unreal2004 »

That just verifies that it is an 8-bit limit then, wonder if #256 is looping back to component #0 or if it is trying to find a component #-1.
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

I need this mod in me.

Lurchi! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Hope the bug gets fixed, though if it's a problem with 8-bit...

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Not that I have any idea of what I'm talking about, but...

IIRC, in most cases 0-255 are your limits with certain coding languages/older (read 16/32 bit) technology. The fact that #256 is giving the error puts me on that track of thinking.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
joproulx99

Post by joproulx99 »

Im sure doing more COMPONENT IMPROVEMENTS vs making new components would save you enough components ID to get it done and cap at 255 components and be done with it no? Come on, I know you can! :)

After all in most case it is an improvement, just with a different name and ressources to build, need to retrofit too, but still its such a big three that I dont see this as a problem...considering everyone benefit the same.

ALLOWED RACES can also save components ID by making improvements (new paths) races specific

lurchi

Post by lurchi »

It's not that easy. My lategame components are not simple upgrades, they differ in size and/or needed resources, needed energy, needed fuel...

I already rationed the components, but there still are 45(!) missing including not yet implemented race techs bringing the component number to 300. Each with several upgrades. I'd have to redo huge parts of the mod. No way. [:-]
Unreal2004

Post by Unreal2004 »

Are you the only one so far to hit the 256 limit? Or have others pushed past that? If it truly is the 8 bit limit and not a typo somewhere (hate trying to find those in all the lines of code) then the creators need to go to 16bit?
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

Erik just wrote there's going to be a patch per month instead of per week, so I guess the next one will come in two weeks. I sure hope it fixes that bug.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

ORIGINAL: Unreal2004

Are you the only one so far to hit the 256 limit? Or have others pushed past that? If it truly is the 8 bit limit and not a typo somewhere (hate trying to find those in all the lines of code) then the creators need to go to 16bit?

One other modder hit that magic border and got the very same result. [:(]

I'm about 99,999% sure there's a single byte used somewhere to store the component number. It's quite easy to fix by simply replacing the 8bit with a 16bit variable. It might be hard to find, though.
Vellarain

Post by Vellarain »

That has gotta be your best bet, but as far as finding that single line of code... I would rather look for a stick of hay in a stack of needles.
DinoSaurus

Post by DinoSaurus »

Lurchi,

I have another question - but maybe not a new idea for you:

Do you have any planetary structures/buildings to increase colony happines/ growth/ income?!

Something like national parks (e.g. only for special planet types), theme parks or so.

Would it be possible to add a new character: Entertainer?! Influences the tourist income, diplomatic issues, colony happiness and so on...

---

By the way. We talked above about new resources - please let me know if and what is needed and in the grafic style of the icon... maybe I will have time to work on next week...

[:)]
Testmann

Post by Testmann »

I was reading through this thread but I am still not sure:
Is there a way to make this mod compatible with DW Extended mod, More (& rebalanced) wonders and AI improvement mod?

Thanks for the info!
Unreal2004

Post by Unreal2004 »

IIRC (could be wrong) this mod (Research Reloaded) will be included in a mega-mod in the future once all the bugs and kinks are worked out.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

ORIGINAL: DinoSaurus

Lurchi,

I have another question - but maybe not a new idea for you:

Do you have any planetary structures/buildings to increase colony happines/ growth/ income?!

Something like national parks (e.g. only for special planet types), theme parks or so.

Yeah, there are various new facilities like that. All in the form of wonders since normal facilities are way to restricted.

Would it be possible to add a new character: Entertainer?! Influences the tourist income, diplomatic issues, colony happiness and so on...

New character classes are not possible.

By the way. We talked above about new resources - please let me know if and what is needed and in the grafic style of the icon... maybe I will have time to work on next week...

[:)]

Already done. [:)]
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

ORIGINAL: Testmann

I was reading through this thread but I am still not sure:
Is there a way to make this mod compatible with DW Extended mod, More (& rebalanced) wonders and AI improvement mod?

Thanks for the info!

This mod is compatible with DW Extended. More & rebalanced wonders are included and Icemania is going to integrate his AI mod. So, no need to to anything. [8D]
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

ORIGINAL: Unreal2004

IIRC (could be wrong) this mod (Research Reloaded) will be included in a mega-mod in the future once all the bugs and kinks are worked out.

Yeah, that will be the mother of all DW mods. [:D]
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

K, since it seems there are about two more weeks before the next patch and I have to wait for it so I can release a complete beta I do another balancing spree to enhance the differences between the various variants of similar components a bit more.

I'll also recheck the usage of the new resources for the various components as well as the new luxuries.

Research projects and components are at the current limits, so there's nothing I can do there anymore until the developers change those limits.

The resources are also at the limit, but I guess there's really nothing new and interesting to add anymore anyway. Well, save the drug system I cooked up that doesn't work as intented until the developers enable me to define the various drug effects via more resource effect settings in the race files.

I sure hope I can start the beta test soon...
Unreal2004

Post by Unreal2004 »

Are they patching the 8-bit, 256 component issue in the next update? Or is that just when the next one is due down the line?
Kizucha

Post by Kizucha »

ORIGINAL: lurchi
I sure hope I can start the beta test soon...

I hope this too, i urgently need a good research mod.[:(]
danymatrix

Post by danymatrix »

come on lurchi! [8|]
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

So the new patch is out and not only fixed the component #256 bug, but also further raised components and research projects. [:D][:D][:D]

The good news is I can not only add the components I already have dummy settings for, but also some more I have planned as well as the two additional tech levels I mentioned some days ago.

The bad news is that adding more components and projects will take a few more days, so bear with me, it'll be worth it.

Return to “Design and Modding”