RUNNING POLL - gameplay features [Feature Requests Go Here]

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Dandywalken

RE: RUNNING POLL - gameplay features

Post by Dandywalken »

Cast my vote for the Aircraft Limitations/Agility one :)
djoos5

Post by djoos5 »

If I can add to this request post... here is my suggestion for a future event/trigger/action:

Action: Activate NO NAV-ZONE

It would allow us to create a NO NAV ZONE that only activates on the condition set by a trigger. I thought of this as I design my new scenario - there are three bridges crossing the Oda River and if the Player can destroy them, or one of them, it would be the trigger that would activate the NO NAV ZONE at that bridge. By doing this, the tank units trying to get to the bridge to cross would be stuck on the opposite side.

Not sure if that is an easy action to add, but if it is, it would allow for some cool results of bombing runs.

Attachments
suggestion.jpg
suggestion.jpg (266.83 KiB) Viewed 102 times
Vark

Post by Vark »

How about some improvements to torpedoes?
3 items in particular I can think of:
1- Wires that can be cut/damaged for a variety of reasons (i.e. turning 180 would certainly cut your wires).
2- Once the wires are cut, a torp is hot, i.e. if it sees your sub it will track and kill you if you're not careful.
3- Search patterns for torps. Clockwise, counterclockwise, snake, etc...
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

Feature requests for future consideration:

Waypoint radius: allows mission maker to add some structured variability to transiting units. Click a waypoint in the editor, and give it a placement radius of X, where the actual waypoint will be placed in a randomized area around X nm/km of the original placement upon mission start.

Unit SOPs: I'm specifically thinking about diesel electric submarines here, but it could probably be adapted to other units. Like the ROE/EMCON settings, lets players tweak how their units operate. Designed primarily to regulate AI opponents and units on missions to make them a little less inept and reliant on micromanagement. For example, SOP selections for an SS/SSK might be:

Creep/cruise while snorkeling
Snorkel/surface during battery recharge
Recharge battery at X %
Avoid contact yes/no
Submerge on ESM detection
Prioritize civilian/merchant/destroyer/cruiser/carrier target
Vark

Post by Vark »

Here's a UI feature I just thought of - Being able to hotkey camera settings. I.E. ctl/alt/shf 1 - 0 would be ten dynamic hotkeys that can save and recall camera presets. Things like altitude/lat/lon/following unit.
Rudd

Post by Rudd »

ORIGINAL: Vark

Here's a UI feature I just thought of - Being able to hotkey camera settings. I.E. ctl/alt/shf 1 - 0 would be ten dynamic hotkeys that can save and recall camera presets. Things like altitude/lat/lon/following unit.

This may be what you're looking for
• New major UI feature: Quick-jump slots. This allows the player to quickly & easily jump between locations/views of the battlefield without map zoom/pan delays.

How they work:

To store a slot: Select a unit/contact. Press Ctrl+[num], where [num] = 1…0 . The unit selection & camera altitude are now stored on slot No.[num] (and persisted per-side).
To jump to a saved slot: Simply press [num]. If a slot with that index exists, the camera will move to the marked unit location & altitude.
If you are using tracking-camera when saving a slot, this setting is also saved and enforced the next time you jump to this slot.
from http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=2697
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: djoos5

If I can add to this request post... here is my suggestion for a future event/trigger/action:

Action: Activate NO NAV-ZONE

It would allow us to create a NO NAV ZONE that only activates on the condition set by a trigger. I thought of this as I design my new scenario - there are three bridges crossing the Oda River and if the Player can destroy them, or one of them, it would be the trigger that would activate the NO NAV ZONE at that bridge. By doing this, the tank units trying to get to the bridge to cross would be stuck on the opposite side.

Not sure if that is an easy action to add, but if it is, it would allow for some cool results of bombing runs.

Added this to our master list.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: hellfish6

Feature requests for future consideration:

Waypoint radius: allows mission maker to add some structured variability to transiting units. Click a waypoint in the editor, and give it a placement radius of X, where the actual waypoint will be placed in a randomized area around X nm/km of the original placement upon mission start.

Unit SOPs: I'm specifically thinking about diesel electric submarines here, but it could probably be adapted to other units. Like the ROE/EMCON settings, lets players tweak how their units operate. Designed primarily to regulate AI opponents and units on missions to make them a little less inept and reliant on micromanagement. For example, SOP selections for an SS/SSK might be:

Creep/cruise while snorkeling
Snorkel/surface during battery recharge
Recharge battery at X %
Avoid contact yes/no
Submerge on ESM detection
Prioritize civilian/merchant/destroyer/cruiser/carrier target

Added to our master list as Diesel sub AI ideas.

M
ETF

Post by ETF »

ORIGINAL: magi

i would love to see real time co`op play.....

+1
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
RobsenK

Post by RobsenK »

An additional option in Missioneditor for (initial) deployment of units to patrol areas and support routes:

"split for max coverage"

For example, this would help in ASW-missions to ensure that the designated patrol area is under control regarding area coverage.
For support missions, like EW/OECM or air refueling one can prevent ACs from crowding at one point along the designated path.
This would be particularly useful for providing jammers in a broad front.

It is already possible to achieve this behaviour by setting up multiple adjoint mission-areas/paths, but the suggested option would ease the handling imo.
Dide

Post by Dide »

I would love the opportunity to have mechanical breakdowns to the Aircraft: two Tornado fly up to bomb two stations SAM, one of the two mid-term accuses a problem with the engines and must return to base. It would be an unexpected change in scenery. (You could do by forcing the RTB command.) It 'just an idea.[;)]
Thank you.
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

Could we please have an event Action to modify ROE's or at the very least, trigger Nuclear Release. Apologies if already on the List in which case treat as a gentle "bump".

Thanks.

-C
woos1981

Post by woos1981 »

Hello,Is it possible to add a new unit in game, such as frogmen etc,Do some special tasks underwater , thanks![:)]
scottb613

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Not sure if it's been mentioned. - but - one thing I find a real pain is that when using the database viewer - you need to close the previous record window before a new one will open... I would REALLY like to see subsequent database hotlink clicks open in the very same database window that is already open...

Thanks for listening...

Regards,
Scott
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

Random ideas humbly submitted for consideration:

Allow a way to "paint" terrain on the map. The way I envision it, it'd essentially be like creating an exclusion zone, where you designate an area of the map with reference points to be a certain kind of terrain. The idea is to create layers that making facilities and units more difficult to find. I don't think it needs to be super detailed, but maybe a handful of terrain types. Default, which we have now and wouldn't require any effort to "paint", would be "open". This is generally open grass or dirt or sand. Then you might have "light forest", for scattered pockets of trees to simulate rural areas or savanna and in general be easier for ground units to hide in, but only marginally so for spotters with FLIR or radar. Another terrain type could be "dense forest" to represent jungles or deep woods where the canopy is especially difficult to see through, but maybe a little less so for synthetic aperture radars or FLIRs (or you get more 'unknown contacts' vice positive IDs. The third type would be "urban" to represent dense cities, and be generally very difficult to spot infantry-type units or positively ID buildings and vehicles.

In general, I think the terrain feature would be used for small objective areas - no need to paint whole continents, but just enough to make it a little tougher for small areas that you're conducting operations in.

Give helicopters a different throttle and altitude menu. Right now, helicopters are considered to be no different from fixed wing aircraft and, as such, default to the highest altitude they can fly at. Having spent a considerable amount of time in and around helicopters, I've never been in one that flew much more that 2000 feet AGL, nevermind the 12,000 feet they fly at in Command. Would it be possible to give helicopters altitude presets that are a little more realistic - like gradations between 2000 feet and min altitude? Maybe like minimum (20 feet-ish), 100 feet, 200 feet, 500 feet? Of course, you can manually set the altitude to max/12000 feet, but the AI-controlled missions would now operate at much more realistic altitudes.
VFA41_Lion

Post by VFA41_Lion »

I'm hoping this is a database feature easily implemented by the devs: it'd be helpful, especially for more modern scenarios, to know what radar band the radars/sams are operating in in their DB page. :3
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

ORIGINAL: hellfish6

Random ideas humbly submitted for consideration:

Allow a way to "paint" terrain on the map. The way I envision it, it'd essentially be like creating an exclusion zone, where you designate an area of the map with reference points to be a certain kind of terrain. The idea is to create layers that making facilities and units more difficult to find. I don't think it needs to be super detailed, but maybe a handful of terrain types. Default, which we have now and wouldn't require any effort to "paint", would be "open". This is generally open grass or dirt or sand. Then you might have "light forest", for scattered pockets of trees to simulate rural areas or savanna and in general be easier for ground units to hide in, but only marginally so for spotters with FLIR or radar. Another terrain type could be "dense forest" to represent jungles or deep woods where the canopy is especially difficult to see through, but maybe a little less so for synthetic aperture radars or FLIRs (or you get more 'unknown contacts' vice positive IDs. The third type would be "urban" to represent dense cities, and be generally very difficult to spot infantry-type units or positively ID buildings and vehicles.

In general, I think the terrain feature would be used for small objective areas - no need to paint whole continents, but just enough to make it a little tougher for small areas that you're conducting operations in.

Give helicopters a different throttle and altitude menu. Right now, helicopters are considered to be no different from fixed wing aircraft and, as such, default to the highest altitude they can fly at. Having spent a considerable amount of time in and around helicopters, I've never been in one that flew much more that 2000 feet AGL, nevermind the 12,000 feet they fly at in Command. Would it be possible to give helicopters altitude presets that are a little more realistic - like gradations between 2000 feet and min altitude? Maybe like minimum (20 feet-ish), 100 feet, 200 feet, 500 feet? Of course, you can manually set the altitude to max/12000 feet, but the AI-controlled missions would now operate at much more realistic altitudes.

I concur with hellfish's comment. The only rotary wing that would be at 12K is an AEW bird trying to see over the horizon with radar.

I suspect most other military helicopters would be 1000 ft. AGL or less as a default.

Regards,
Feltan
tommo8993

Post by tommo8993 »

SAR would be a good feature. Would make many scenarios more interesting also would be a good way to win a few points back
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Removed "Refine ready-times" (you'll see some drastic improvements on this on the next public release). If you voted for this you can re-vote now.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Removed ""Investigate" command (order intercept without marking hostile)" as it can be accomplished with a combination of the standard attack command and the "Hold fire" parameter. If you voted for this you can vote again.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”