Are there video clips included while in game ?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Randomizer

RE: Are there video clips included while in game ?

Post by Randomizer »

ORIGINAL: Dorb

Option to toggle on and off would be a nice middle ground.
Except that developer time and resources that could go into the simulation (like a non-global weather model for example)would still need to be expended on what is only eye candy.

-C
StellarRat

Post by StellarRat »

You could turn those off in Harpoon if I remember correctly.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: StellarRat

You could turn those off in Harpoon if I remember correctly.

Yeah and honestly most did after the first couple of plays in my experience
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Not really thinking about replicating the way Harpoon did things but just allows players to embed. This may not be a huge deal.

Mike
Marder

Post by Marder »

I would very much appreciate feedback when I select a unit.
Be it visually or acoustically. (or both)
One example could play an unobtrusive sound when selecting a group of aircraft.
A little radio or a jet noise.
Again, this could involve anything as an option for people who it bothers.
For me, it would already increase the immersion a lot.
Thank you Mike, that ye have already moved into consideration.
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

ORIGINAL: Feltan
ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Stay tuned on this. We've been thinking about the presentation/content side a lot lately so some sort of video integration probably makes sense.

Mike

It might. But every cycle a developer spends adding eye candy is a cycle lost for the core simulation issues that make this product so wonderful.

Regards,
Feltan

+1
imadot

Post by imadot »

ORIGINAL: Korvar

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Stay tuned on this. We've been thinking about the presentation/content side a lot lately so some sort of video integration probably makes sense.

Mike

It might. But every cycle a developer spends adding eye candy is a cycle lost for the core simulation issues that make this product so wonderful.

Regards,
Feltan

+1

I'm assuming that there is more than just one programmer involved? If so, I would think that the makers and bakers of Command deserve a little more respect than this, in that I'm pretty sure that they could do both without taking away from the other...Granted, it might take a bit longer for one or the other thing, but then but most good addons do.

But since we are wanting more wonderful without a video/picture option, and reaching for making a point on the pro's and con's of eye candy
versus a "cycle" lost (as you put it) for real issues not being fixed, how about we fix most of the issues you're concerned about, and then add the "optional" eye candy?
I don't see a problem then. Do you? [8D] In fact, what specific things are so broken in game for you, that we don't dare peel off the programmers for more options at this time? [:D]
Michael7619

Post by Michael7619 »

I would like to see video clips in command. Little eye Candy would improve gaming experience for me. When playing, i often look at the database pictures to see what pixels in my screen would be in real live. I think that both pictures and videos (if possible) will get you in right mood to play this game. Optional videos would be good so those who like and those who don't may decide themselves. I have managed to enjoy playing CMANO about 9 months without videos, so i have no hurry if there are other priorities, but would like to see them in the future if possible.[:)]
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

ORIGINAL: imadot
ORIGINAL: Korvar

Regards,
Feltan

+1

I'm assuming that there is more than just one programmer involved? If so, I would think that the makers and bakers of Command deserve a little more respect than this, in that I'm pretty sure that they could do both without taking away from the other...Granted, it might take a bit longer for one or the other thing, but then but most good addons do.

But since we are wanting more wonderful without a video/picture option, and reaching for making a point on the pro's and con's of eye candy
versus a "cycle" lost (as you put it) for real issues not being fixed, how about we fix most of the issues you're concerned about, and then add the "optional" eye candy?
I don't see a problem then. Do you? [8D] In fact, what specific things are so broken in game for you, that we don't dare peel off the programmers for more options at this time? [:D]

You might want to investigate the Ongoing Thread on Feature Requests: tm.asp?m=3437496

In the world of software development, that ongoing list would be a big investment of time -- and I think that's what folks are saying they would prefer.

And yes, it really is simple economics, if labor hours are budgeted for eye candy they aren't available for something else -- it is a zero sum game.

You would also probably like to know that the development team here is interested and highly responsive to requests, so a little back-and-forth at a respectful level isn't something they shy away from.

Regards,
Feltan
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

tm.asp?m=3437496

Video clips isn't even a request on the poll. In fact, this thread is the first time it has come up in over a year, I think.

And I agree on spending any real resources on it. I think there is only one real programmer in the group. So if he is doing this, he isn't optimizing performance or building the ToT.
Mini_Von

Post by Mini_Von »

How about just placing a picture of the unit on the right side of the screen when it's selected. I think videos should be used sparingly, maybe just a short video or two while special scenario triggers are fired. I just hope that performance wouldn't be affected too much.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Thanks guys got it[8D]

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”