Electronic warfare

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

magi

Electronic warfare

Post by magi »

What are the better way to tactically employ electronic countermeasures........ Are offense of countermeasures directional.... And therefore should be deployed in a directional manner..... Or are they radiated out in a ark.... I really don't know anything about them… I guess I should wiki at it… But I would prefer to just ask mom… Because I'm intellectually lazy…
magi

RE: Electronic warfare

Post by magi »

ORIGINAL: magi

What are the better way to tactically employ electronic countermeasures........ Are offense of countermeasures directional.... And therefore should be deployed in a directional manner..... Or are they radiated out in a ark.... I really don't know anything about them… can jammers act against more than one unit at a time… I guess I should wiki at it… But I would prefer to just ask mom… Because I'm intellectually lazy…
magi

Post by magi »

where is everybody....????
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Guys? Know any links to a good 'starters guide' on electronic warfare?

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
Runibl

Post by Runibl »

Baloogan has something on his site on Offensive ECM. Perhaps something there:
http://baloogancampaign.com/command-doc ... nsive-ecm/
Rúni.
CV32

Post by CV32 »

EW 101: A First Course in Electronic Warfare, by David Adamy and published by Artech House Radar Library, is an excellent resource for a basic understanding of electronic warfare principles.

It was made available for free in multiple parts several years ago in issues of the Journal of Electronic Defense, by the Association of Old Crows, but that resource is now by paid subscription.
Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner
magi

Post by magi »

thank you guys....
magi

Post by magi »

Luidzi

Post by Luidzi »

I've made a scenario with SA-20b (radars Cheese Board 96L6E and Tombstone 30N6E) against a group of F/A-18F's and EA-18G.
- jamming was particularly effective at the angle of roughly +-20° from the axis of jammer, somewhat less effective at higher angles
- if the SAM considered targets as unknown, it could be quite easily jammed (at distances mentioned below). If it considered targets as hostile (or was set to engage unidentified targets), it could maintain lock much better (I believe this is caused by Tombstone switching to illumination mode).
- range of jamming greatly mattered. At longer ranges, jamming seemed to be ineffective. Tombstone could reliably illuminate and guide missile to F/A-18 at 74nm and below. At 40nm it started to have difficulty in maintaining lock, it could still engage, but missiles often self-destructed because of long breaks during illumination and only a small percent reached targets. Finally at 25-30nm its guidance was completely unusable, it even lost all targets and couldn't find any until burn-through, which occured at 4nm.

What surprised me was inefficiency of jamming at greater distances, where jamming-to-signal ratio is higher and jammers should have no trouble with operation. Based on this behavior it seems better to hide under radar horizont to completely avoid detection and not use jamming at longer distances, since it can be detected with ESM.
magi

Post by magi »

Thank you Luidzi for you information.... I'm still doing research..... I'm also curious in how they do their modeling...... Much to study... but very interesting....
jarraya

Post by jarraya »

Interesting indeed, I would have thought that the effect would have been the opposite, with jamming being more effective at longer ranges due to radar signal degradation. I guess it depends on the power of the transmitter on the jammer?
I don't think the modelling of EW in CMANO is very sophisticated. I'm sure it will improve with time.
Rudd

Post by Rudd »

Here is a couple of maps from Day one of Desert Storm showing the jamming tracks around Baghdad, how/where decoys were employed, and direction of approaching SEAD packages.

EA-6/EF-111 tracks are approximately 40-50nm from downtown Baghdad.

Maps from Gulf War Air War Survey Vol. 2

Attachments
Map17.jpg
Map17.jpg (258.64 KiB) Viewed 484 times
Rudd

Post by Rudd »

2 minutes later

Attachments
Map18.jpg
Map18.jpg (261.91 KiB) Viewed 482 times
Rudd

Post by Rudd »

ORIGINAL: jarraya

Interesting indeed, I would have thought that the effect would have been the opposite, with jamming being more effective at longer ranges due to radar signal degradation. I guess it depends on the power of the transmitter on the jammer?
I don't think the modelling of EW in CMANO is very sophisticated. I'm sure it will improve with time.
As far as the modelling of EW goes... tm.asp?m=3426310&mpage=2
jarraya

Post by jarraya »

Thanks Rudd for the link.

Nerdy indeed and obvious a lot of thought has gone into it. It is still, however, just a game.

ORIGINAL: Rudd

ORIGINAL: jarraya

As far as the modelling of EW goes... tm.asp?m=3426310&mpage=2
magi

Post by magi »

Really impressive.... Thank you guys... So much to learn..... The modeling is remarkable..... Now I need to know how to apply some of this.....

Rudd... The maps are reall interesting..... I'm going to save them.....

Doesn't it seem wrong that the US Air Force doesn't have any offense EW jammer aircraft organically in their asset mix.... That really doesn't sit right with me it just seems wrong… i'm all for jointness and maximizing the economy and efficiency of our assets and platforms jointly across our services..... However I think this issue goes too far...... They should get that big big ass B-52 jammer strike Boeing... that thing is Godzilla awesome..... truly Star Wars....

Return to “The War Room”