CPU for best DW performance?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Shogouki

CPU for best DW performance?

Post by Shogouki »

Well my old PCs motherboard finally bit the dust and I'm looking to build a new PC. One thing that I really want to do is build a PC that runs DW really well and I was wondering what CPU would most excel at running DW? Would a faster quad-core (Like the Intel i7-4790K 4Ghz) work better than a higher core count but slower hexa-core CPU (Like the new Haswell-E i7-5930k 3.5Ghz) at running extremely large DW games? Thanks for any help!
silentdeth

RE: CPU for best DW performance?

Post by silentdeth »

DW is not a particularly resource intensive game. My current game uses a little over 1 gig of ram and peaks at 14% CPU usage with a i7-2600K. You'd see a more noticeable improvement by using a SSD drive for the save game, and game files than between either of those CPUs.
My Let's Plays of Distant Worlds: Universe Season 2: Human|Season 3: Kiadian|Season 4: Pirate(Balanced)
Shogouki

Post by Shogouki »

Yeah an SSD is definitely on my list as well, but I know on my previous PC 700 star system games would get ridiculously sluggish as the galaxy filled up and I want to be able to play 1400 star system games with as little slowdown as possible.
Rahal

Post by Rahal »

I'm getting one myself when I move later this year (my excuse).

A game like the forthcoming galciv iii (if you're interested in that one) may benefit from the extra cores since it will have multi-threaded ai. But I don't think DW does?

Other reason to choose the 4790k is: (1) it's a newer architecture (2) it has motherboards for micro atx & mini itx ** I'm not getting another mid/tower now I don't have to

--

Did some searching and looking at benchmarks; what it amounts to is this:

For single threaded apps: 4790k (4ghz 4cores) is ~30% faster than 5820k (3.3ghz 6cores)

For heavily multi-threaded (i.e. media-encoding): 5820k is ~15% faster than 4790k

So it's really not worth going for the haswell-e unless you're going to overclock.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

For DWU, my guess would be that the faster quad core would be the better choice, but both should have plenty of CPU power.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Shogouki

Post by Shogouki »

Ok, thanks for the help! [:)]
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

How about a link for what I should buy myself for Christmas? LOL, my 4 year old computer is taking too long to save files when I save a couple times per game day by year eight of a game...

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Rahal

Post by Rahal »

I don't know where to suggest in the US :(

But advice - for a player of strategy games - would be to go for the fastest CPU you can rather than the usual suggestion for gamers which is to spend more on the graphic card.
Hunter20nov

Post by Hunter20nov »

I bought a new PC last week. My old PC was a AMD 970BE 8 Gig Memmory. Late game on Large maps was not so good but only in very late games.

Now i Have Intel 4790k ( 4 GHZ ) and 16 Gig Memory now the Game is very very fast . In Late Game the games goes very well. No lag nothing in Vanilla Game.

Yesterday I testet the Performance with the Mod Beyond Extended Universe with 44 Empire Large Pirates and 15 x 15 with Starting Empire Old Empire. Every Empire have 3-8 Systems. I cheatet Money for testing(for me and 15 other Empire) and the game play 2 hours without me (all automatic) After i look and i have over 2500 State Ships over 1300 Private Ships and the game without lag.

Now i want bigger Galaxy ! [&o] 15x15 to small [:D]

Really good with the new PC now i can play without lags in late Games and large Games

(sry for bad english)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

cpu and memory is one thing, as nobody has even mentioned vga etc, no good having good 2 part system with 3rd part letting it down, better to have a good all round system, quad core, 8gb ram and at least a 2gb dedicated video card thrown into the mix, I'd always go as well for a 64bit o/s as well[;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Hunter20nov

Post by Hunter20nov »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

cpu and memory is one thing, as nobody has even mentioned vga etc, no good having good 2 part system with 3rd part letting it down, better to have a good all round system, quad core, 8gb ram and at least a 2gb dedicated video card thrown into the mix, I'd always go as well for a 64bit o/s as well[;)]

I wrote nothing about the VGA Card because i think it is not important for this game. But i have the New MSI GTX 970. My Upgrade Kit was CPU(4790k,VGA Card 970 GTX Mainboard (Asus VII Ranger) Memory RAM DDR3 Kingston 1600 and a Noctua D15 FAN for the CPU. Rest was good enough 2 SSD one normal HDD and good power supply

I think one thing on my PC is also important for this game. I have install the game on SSD ( Samsung 840 EVO ).
But I don´t know if the game speed up with a SSD.[&:]
Rahal

Post by Rahal »

It should do since this game is constantly loading small files.

Now I look this seems to be a common feature of strategy games: DW is 12,000 files ... CK2 10,000 ... Civ V 13,000.

Compare that to action games which have a couple hundred files.

- Readyboost will probably help too for PCs without an SSD.
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

Thanks for the info! I'll look into it...

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”