Noob: Method of pocketing/encirclements

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

WingedIncubus

Noob: Method of pocketing/encirclements

Post by WingedIncubus »

I have a newbie question about doing pockets and encirclements.

I am currently doing the diverse 'Road to...' scenarios to get a hold of the game on the offensive, and I was wondering what was the optimal method of performing an encirclement to create pockets on Turn 1. Is it better, to maximize the casualties, to:

a) Strike with my different Infantry Divisions along the battlefront to inflict casualties on facing enemy units and make them retreat/rout, THEN perform the encirclement with my Panzer Divisions behind their lines; or,
b) Perform a limited attack to open up one or more schwerpunkts for my Panzers, breakthrough in with the Panzers to close the pocket behind the lines, THEN assault over the pocketed battleline with the rest of my Infantry divisions?

I'm asking, because I know that routed units which are inside a pocket before the next turn will be teleported outside the pocket if encountered while routed. Thus I fear that if I attack with my Infantry on the same turn that I create the pocket I risk losing pocketing several routed units in the process. However, if I do not attack with my Infantry divisions on Turn 1 and wait until next turn to mop out the pocket I still waste a turn not moving forward with my Infantry divisions.

Hence why I newbishly believe it is better to attack on the wider front first with the Infantry, then perform the encircling movement with the Panzers. What say you experts? :)

Thank you!
Ketza

RE: Noob: Method of pocketing/encirclements

Post by Ketza »

This is what I do:

Attack the Soviet infantry divisions that you want to move and rout to the nearest rout points. Do not attack sec regiments or move next to HQs during your very first attacks. You want to manage where the units rout. You want to "fill up" rout points with divisions close to the border in potential pockets. If you rout the HQS and security regiments first all the juicy rout points will fill up and the divisions have a better chance of escaping by routing deeper into areas where your Panzers will bounce them even further into Soviet territory.

Also there will never be a better time to get some free morale upgrades. Blast the front with the 70-75 morale divisions for easy morale increases. You can kill the fort units anytime as they do not rout.

After opening a few holes send some motorized units in deep to capture far away rout points. You really need to do this mainly in the north and center.

Now clean up the rest of the front. Now if the HQS and regiments rout they wont fill up the "slots".

It takes some practice but eventually you will get a feel for it.
WingedIncubus

RE: Noob: Method of pocketing/encirclements

Post by WingedIncubus »

Thanks, Ketza. :)

What about those units already routed or shattered inside the pocket? Don't I risk bumping them outside the pocket if I enter in contact with them so soon? That's my biggest fear, as when I attempted the Road to Minsk scenario I lost quite a few routed units which teleported outside the pocket into the Russian territory.

Also, do I understand correctly the roles of each elements of a Panzer Corp?
- Panzer Divisions : Punch as far as possible to capture supply routes and lead up the salients so it closes close the pocket
- Motorized Divisions : Place at the edges of the pocket to enlarge its size (3-4 hexes ideally) and prevent Russian pocketed troops to escape

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”