Any news on the 1.08 patch?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

charlie0311

RE: Any news on the 1.08 patch?

Post by charlie0311 »

Hey Pelton,

Flash!! Maybe you should stop wasting time telling us to stop wasting time, my pal and I are having a gas!

We'll go for .08 when it's good and ready.
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

ORIGINAL: Pelton

If you have and IQ above 120 which I don't = don't waste your time playing a POS, until 1.08

Smokin Dave and I are having a pretty damn good game on 1.07.15 - all you need to do is find a Soviet opponent willing to fight forward and a German willing to not play turtle time for three years, and the game is great. 1.08 will make it better, but the game is so, so, so much better than it was a year ago it is not even funny.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Good tactics on each side eliminate the needs of either side to turn turtle (or, hedgehog!)

Agree, you are having a great game on 1.07.15.
Don77

Post by Don77 »

G'day all,

Can I ask peoples' opinions, what settings and house rules would be appropriate under the proposed 1.08 patch? I see two categories
settings - do people have an opinion what makes for a balanced game?
house rules - specific agreements for a 'better game'

Don
KWG

Post by KWG »

- 121 new features

WOW!

As we wait, how about some info on the new features.... please!
"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."
morvael

Post by morvael »

WitE Changelog in numbers:
- 137 new features (+16)
- 54 bug fixes (+7)
- 26 scenario changes (+1)
- 5 general device changes
- 48 specific device changes
- 13 general ground element changes (+1)
- 269 specific ground element changes (+4)
- 10 general aircraft changes
- 160 specific aircraft changes (+1)
- 2 general TOE changes
- 36 specific TOE changes (+2)
- 2 general leader changes
- 2 specific leader changes
- 34 pages (+2)

Sorry, no details at this time, but I can say that we're as near as we've never been yet. After some heated discussions last week the .exe is very stable now and I know some people are playing the game which allows me to fix some tiny bugs that remain, while Denniss works on the last set of changes to the scenarios and German translation.
KWG

Post by KWG »

Great news!!!

[:D]
"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."
Don77

Post by Don77 »

G'day,

Firstly, great news about the 1.08 patch and all the hard work people have put in on forums and behind the scenes to make this good game even better - love your work.

I have really enjoyed this game for many years now (yup, years) and many hours(don't ask how many times I nearly lost my gf as 'one more move' turned into an hour.....). With the new patch coming, I am keen to rekindle my skills (risking a 'divorce') and am keen to understand what (if any) standards setting and House Rules people recommend for the GC. My logic is a game to play until someone wins by Victory Points, the entire Axis-Soviet war (ie not for people to win or lose in 41 and then quit a game).

Soo, here we go....as a basis for discussion, here are setting and HR I have seen:

Settings
A. Grand Campaign (any need for Alt VP or sudden death?)
B. Random weather (maximise uncertainty about the weather)
C. HQ lock (easier to start that way)
D. Full Fog of war (maximise uncertainty about the enemy)
E. Use Server (maximise the sense of comfort for players about the game and saves)
F. Mild blizzard (many argue this is a more realistic winter)
G. 1-1 only (2-1 gone, does this remove the capacity of the Sov’s to fight and win tactically in 41, esp given the mild winter effects on 42)

House Rules - airborne
1. Do we need any rules about when airborne can start for the Sovs? (ie not before 41 blizzard seems the most common?)
2. Do we need rules about ‘why’ airborne can be used (ie in conjunction with other troops such as to break pockets; or alone ie such as to break rail lines) is there a logic to do with the mission being possibly ‘survivable’
3. Is there any reason for rules about the ‘minimum number of transports needed?

House Rules - amphib
4. Do we need any rules about when amphib can start for the Sovs? (ie not before 41 blizzard seems the most common?)
5. Do we need rules about where amphibs can occur (mid game 41-43) – ie not west of the last major Black Sea city held (ie not west of Odessa/Sevastapol/Novorossiysk unless held)
6. Do we need rules to cover outside the Sov union original borders (affects 41 and the post-43 later game) - ie also if/when allowed outside Sov borders ?

House rules – Air bombing attacks
7. Do we need any rules about bombing HQ (affects the apparently higher chances of killing leaders, but is also about the only way for air power to destroy and damage elements – albeit only in Support Units)
8. Max number of attacks against cities (affects ports, defensive values?)
9. Max number of attacks against airbases (excluding Axis turn 1 obviously)

General – attacking rules
10. Maximum number of attacks overall per hex (air and ground)? I have seen suggestions of 5 – does this also link to the no2-1 rule (ie more attacks may be needed for the Sovs?)

I hope the above is useful and appreciate any comments.

Don
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Can't imagine playing a game with so much a priori rules.

AARs indicate that experienced players negotiate a simpler list and that that they seem to know who they are playing. Think that's important.
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

Let's talk about the air transport madness... I my game against sapper, the 5+ turn isolated, far-far ralwaypoint motorized units act with 30+ MP, and the panzers don't do anything, because fueling by air is so costly.

The air supply is overpowered, just line the 1:1=2:1 rule
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

FWIW here is my current list of conditions (for v1.08) for setting up a game, whether Axis or Soviet.

1941 GC Sudden Death
Server game
Locked HQ Support
Full FOW

House Rules:
No Para drops at all.
No bombing of air bases more than 3 times a turn (after turn 1)
No bombing of HQ's unless stacked with a ground unit

Additional Auto VC:
If the Axis player holds
Leningrad, Moscow, Voronezh and Rostov concurrently at any time in 1941 he wins
an Auto Victory.

Optional Rules Setup:
Standard Blizzard Rules
Non Random Weather
No 1-1 to 2-1
Forts 75
morvael

Post by morvael »

Time for a spoiler [:)] We're close to release now, and I don't think the event log will change much at this point, so I decided to reveal it to you. I'm interested to know if you like it better than the current one. [:)]
Attachments
EventLogT..828So.txt
(27.04 KiB) Downloaded 743 times
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

I like it! Can't wait for the release...Thank you and the other developers for all your hard dedicated work. [&o][&o][&o]
comsolut

Post by comsolut »

+1
tbone1218

Post by tbone1218 »

+2
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

+3 [:D]

Nice that the event log shows NM.
gamer78

Post by gamer78 »

+4
Event log is excellent.
schascha

Post by schascha »

Great work!!!! [&o] [&o]

Thx guys
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

So how close are we on the release? Like kids in a car on a long trip... Are we there yet? [:)]
morvael

Post by morvael »

We try to arrange some PBEM games now, to see if the balance is totally ruined or just altered a bit :)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”