[A.62] {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe (DW:U 1.9.5.9)

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Blackstork

RE: [A.6] {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe (DW:U 1.9.5.7)

Post by Blackstork »

Sorry mates, i been really busy with family this weekend. The A.62 postponed to this monday. Just want to release what i intended to.
Next release will be 5-6th October and will be A.7 and will be my attempt to release as much as possible (prolly 7-10) character systems before i go to my 2 week holiday (i wont be able to mod/draw but only to read forums and reply during it).
After holidays i will release more Cs/minor balance stuff in A.71 - A.72 etc sucession.
cheers
Alien Immersion (WIP) : tm.asp?m=3651979
Beyond Extended Universe (WIP): tm.asp?m=3657646
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

I am getting bored with my current game in universe extended, and thinking about starting a new game with your mod. If I start a game now, will it be broken for save file compatibility by any changes you plan in the next four months?

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

I dont think there will be any problem with the saves.
The work that remained is:
Overhaul of pedia entries into very rich, filled with art form and alot of new lore made by collaboration between me and SirFinbar - does not break saves.
UI art / full Soundtrack - wont break saves.
Character systems, tho major rebalance and game feature - It does not break saves.
Minor race file adjustments/policy tunings - they wont break saves, new race files will work for newer games, while your old will remain set-up by settings game had upon start - So no problem here either.
Unique characters art - Its merely art, so it wont break saves either.

About 4 months i am not sure, because, probably in that time frame there will be attempt to integrate Lurchis mod (and such release will break saves) - but this wont happen soon (since his mod need to be past-beta as final release, and even then should have testing done and integration process which also will be time-consuming process), so at least for next 2-3 months future updates wont break saves.

This have some exclusion of game patches (i.e. 1.9.5.9 and etc) which i do not control. I try to update mod compatibility to latest version all the time, but again, i doubt there will be any problem within 2-3 months time frame as well.
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

Thanks for the fast reply! I think I'll start a game on a 1400 star 15x15 galaxy with all races included as empires this weekend, haven't decided what race to play yet...

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

ORIGINAL: Jeeves

Thanks for the fast reply! I think I'll start a game on a 1400 star 15x15 galaxy with all races included as empires this weekend, haven't decided what race to play yet...

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Great, i will be very interested to watch your game and hear about your experienced.
Races are much more flavored in Beyond (this is main bet of the mod) immersion/experience/art wise and mechanics wise.
Obcourse i reccomend to play race which have character system released (those are listed in the OP post bottom). At next weekend i suppose there will be 26-28 (from 48) races which have character system implemented. 28-29 will have Unique race-specific UI (this is merely aestetic immersion thing), and all races have all their soundtracks. Many of them been rebalanced (slightly or heavilly from extended).
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

I'll probably play Ackdarian, but will consider Wekkarus, and of course there's always Quameno lol...

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

Ackdarian does not have Beyond features at all. yet. (They simply are not done yet and lack Character system, unique art/Ui and it is planned )
From what you listed i recommend Wekkarus (they have all their features released, and their final fancy expanded pedia entry could be released soon i believe (and you have GAL for them as well)).
The important consideration is also your race's alliance allegiance. Ackdarian is only aquatic race that ally themselves with The Alliance (the good guys).
Quameno and Wekkarus are allies in pragmatic, neutral Pact, led by majority of aquatic Xenophobs, Haakonish and Yl'ta.
there also Yereni, you should check that race, according to the selection you posted, they might be fitting for your game. They are even more xenophobic aquatics with bit less research focus, but more population and happiness, and major diplomatic issues. They are unique and not like others aquatics, tho they share some slight similarities with Quameno, their gameplay is something different.
Wekkarus character system is quite random and unpredictable.
Yereni are opposite - they start high and their leadership will allow you sidegrade your empire into more research or happiness empire if you desire it due their religious teachings build.
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

Thanks for the advice, downloading the mod now, will check out all the new races before deciding. I wanted Ackdarians for the build speed and larger military ships...

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

ORIGINAL: Jeeves

Thanks for the advice, downloading the mod now, will check out all the new races before deciding. I wanted Ackdarians for the build speed and larger military ships...

Lonnie Courtney Clay

All i coudl do is to put them into top of the queue for A.63 or A.7 release (will do that) but that would mean that you need to wait till i release them (next patch after A.62 update will be approx 5-6.10.14)
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

Another option for bigger ships and build speed is Archei. They are spy race with exactly big ships and rapid construction speed. They have full pack of stuff, they are very picky about ice planets and as Ackdarians fight for good guys (they are The Alliance intelligence guys)
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

ORIGINAL: Blackstork

Another option for bigger ships and build speed is Archei. They are spy race with exactly big ships and rapid construction speed. They have full pack of stuff, they are very picky about ice planets and as Ackdarians fight for good guys (they are The Alliance intelligence guys)

Hmm that sounds VERY interesting, in that case I'll probably play THEM!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

Great. the only thing Archei are missing is unique UI which will be released tomorrow.
Also they one of first races which will have expanded full pedia entry with group logos and group lore texts (also in A.62 meant for tomorrow)
Euler

Post by Euler »

I'm playing as Veey now which I am really enjoying. One thing that is frustrating though is the gravity area weapon, the Y-discharger. I love having it as an uber-weapon on my big ships but the ship AI doesn't understand that it is a gravity area weapon and keeps flying my friendlies into the gravity wells. As a result my fleets are damaged by friendly fire all the time. I am just wondering if there is a better way to use a gravity area weapon or if it is something I have to learn to live with.
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

The problem here is general game's AI behaviour with game's Area weapons (any of them). You cant setup and limit its usage, and assign formations that will allow its safe usage (this features lack atm and i hope may be game devs will invest here more work ) , only thing you have is to learn to control your fleet position towards enemy fleet. This means while it is really powerful, you need to learn to use it to minimaze own fleet damage, micromanage ship positions etc. Y-Discharger is really powerful, but it is quite balanced assuming that you need to invest alot of thought about your fleet positioning, timing etc. You can improve and make your ships safer with precise timing/positioning etc.
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

Work ongoing on A.62, i am not sure even f i will be bale to finish it today.

Here some final stuff, it will be also mirrored on forums in race descriptions making OP post sort of small informative pedia

Ingame (pedia) logos: (used on dark ingame pedia background thus linking it)
http://imgur.com/McAfgeP
ImageImageImageImage

Forums - race descritpion.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Please note that i already adding icons to OP informative part. (little by little)
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

I'm really liking your GUI icons! Actually, I'm going to download your mod right now and play it for a bit:)
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

Archei UI done (part of upcoming A.62)
Was quite complex - took all evening, together with my late business and some underwater stones and balancing needed i am postponing A.62 to wensday. Sorry guysm buts its needed and i have RL stuff.
Archei will have also new expanded art pedia entry in A.62
dont forget that stripes preview are much blurred compared to real game appearance (due conversion process of low res picture)
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

ORIGINAL: hewwo

I'm really liking your GUI icons! Actually, I'm going to download your mod right now and play it for a bit:)
I also hope it wont be "for a bit" :P
I trying to create somethign that will do "one.more.turn" thingy (its old Civ meme) to the players.
Enjoy your stay. Dont forget to install soundtracks. They really add immersion for each race.
I can say even i trying to compile and create with own doings DW i would like to play :)
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

I can't wait for this to be finished. So well done so far.
Especially if it does roll in with the Tech ReDo
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

ORIGINAL: CyclopsSlayer

I can't wait for this to be finished. So well done so far.
Especially if it does roll in with the Tech ReDo

Thanks! You are invitred to try it now, its very rich and playable right now (tho is not final, obcourse, since alot art remained to do, and not all races character systems/depth overhaul done.).

Return to “Design and Modding”